New Windshield Washer Tank Installed

Been wanting to install one of the newer (97-01) XJ windshield washer pumps that fit inside the drivers fender well to free up some space in the engine compartment and get the old bottle away from my 96 booster/master cylinder. Here's the tank nestled up in the fender, fits perfectly:

Had to punch a hole in the inner fender for the new filler neck. Also had to dremel out a slot for the filler neck guide:

Filler neck mounted and wired up w. spare pump water hose and wires in the engine compartment so if the primary pump breaks I don't have to pull the fender shirt again:

Now what to do with the extra space. Thinking of a remote oil filter or ?? Any ideas?

I need to get some pump motors and a few misc things. and get mine installed.

By far best prices on the pumps is at Rock Auto, ANCO Part # 6723. Have had very good parts results in both quality and price wise from them lately.

I need to get some pump motors and a few misc things. and get mine installed.

By far best prices on the pumps is at Rock Auto, ANCO Part # 6723. Have had very good parts results in both quality and price wise from them lately.

under $15/each?

not bad at all!

I forgot, I need one motor, and the level switch thing.

wow. I NEVER even thought of doing that on the 3800...I need the space up in the front left corner for my intake to go (currently feeding with cone filter BELOW the radiator....not good

how much was the tank? scale of 1 to 10 on the install...

I can't put a 4.0 reservoir in without re-doing the steel brake line in it since it's an 86 and I don't really feel like doing that...

wow. I NEVER even thought of doing that on the 3800...I need the space up in the front left corner for my intake to go (currently feeding with cone filter BELOW the radiator....not good

how much was the tank? scale of 1 to 10 on the install...

I can't put a 4.0 reservoir in without re-doing the steel brake line in it since it's an 86 and I don't really feel like doing that...

Tank was from the yard, 'bout $15. Put new pumps on it since I didn't want them burning up any time soon. I'd recommend to also get a new fender liner from Rock Auto at the same time you get the pumps because it's hard to remove w/o destroying it. There's only one way it will fit up in there correctly, and I made a cardboard template to line up the mounting holes, then punched the filler neck hole with a chassis punch. There were holes were already up front in the inner fender behind the headlight for the wiring and water lines; I just stuck a grommet on them. All in all not to hard, and it took about four hours.

:clapping:

Wow, is that really a great job or what? Just Excellent! Really nice work and very inspirational.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Oh yes, your asking us what ideas we might have about space. I'd rather see what your creative mind comes up with first.

I don't want to crash any potential ideas I could rip-off.

:brows:

Frankly, the more that engine compartment resembles my 1941 Dodge 218 flatheads compartment, well, the better as far as I'm concerned. Clean and clear of confussing unnecessary componets, like a heater, who needs em, dress appropriately for the weather; what's wrong with you?

:thwak:

• 3 months later...

wow...another excellent post I completely missed :oops: thanks for bringing it back up guys.

I wish Id'a seen this when I put the XJ booster/MC in. I much rather would have done this mod versus moving the stock bottle the way I did. Both accomplished the same thing, but ^^^^ that method is so much cleaner looking. I'll have to add it to the list-o'-stuff to do, someday....

Excellent work, Don!

Jeff

:bowdown: Nice writeup! I know of some that have talked about rerouting their air cleaner to the empty spot and then mounting dual batteries where the air cleaner was. Now if only we could get a writeup on how to aim the said washer plumbing to best clean the windshield and also squirt the tail gaters. ;)

:bowdown: Nice writeup! I know of some that have talked about rerouting their air cleaner to the empty spot and then mounting dual batteries where the air cleaner was. Now if only we could get a writeup on how to aim the said washer plumbing to best clean the windshield and also squirt the tail gaters. ;)

my windshield wiper fell off the cherokee...I can aim at tailgaters. it's a riot :D

my windshield wiper fell off the cherokee...I can aim at tailgaters. it's a riot :D

:jump:

Here's a couple of pics of the mounting screws (2). When you remove the fender liner and place the tank up in there, there is a small protruding alignment bump on the inner fender about midway where the tank sits. The tank has a dimple that this bump fits into. You just slide it forward and back until you feel the bump and dimple mate (that sounds kinda nasty :D). Then mark the rear hole (the one next to the filler tube) with the tank mounting tab, remove the tank, and drill a 1/8" hole. Stick the tank back on, mount the tank through the hole you just drilled, pivot the front of the tank up and mark the front hole under the ECU. It's tight in there to drill, I had to use a 90* drill & cut down bit. Mount the tank w. both screws then mark the center on the filler tube hole on the inner fender. Remove the tank, drill a center hole, stick the tank back, and see how close you are. I used a 1-1/2" chassis punch for the filler tube but I think a 1" hole will be enough. Then dremel a slot so you can pop the filler tube in as in the pic. Oh, and run the hose and wires from both pumps inside the engine bay up front so you don't have to pull the fender liner in case a pump goes out. Cap off the unused pump hose. Nuthin' to it jamminz.gifjamminz.gif

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

From a previous post on this thread:

Tank was from the yard, 'bout $15. Put new pumps on it since I didn't want them burning up any time soon. I'd recommend to also get a new fender liner from Rock Auto at the same time you get the pumps because it's hard to remove w/o destroying it. There's only one way it will fit up in there correctly, and I made a cardboard template to line up the mounting holes, then punched the filler neck hole with a chassis punch. There were holes were already up front in the inner fender behind the headlight for the wiring and water lines; I just stuck a grommet on them. All in all not too hard, and it took about four hours.

Read much? :cheers: