Jump to content

Hello


JeepcoMJ
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!

 

Just wanted to pop in after about 6 years of not being here and say hi.  If you have an 86, check out my 2.8 conversion thread under how to (I believe it will be reordered without posts and put into epic tech when done).  I hope we can get the information out there to help those of you on the fence about buying an 86 into having a viable repower option available at your fingertips with some time and minimal effort.

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JeepcoMJ said:

Hi everyone!

 

Just wanted to pop in after about 6 years of not being here and say hi.  If you have an 86, check out my 2.8 conversion thread under how to (I believe it will be reordered without posts and put into epic tech when done).  I hope we can get the information out there to help those of you on the fence about buying an 86 into having a viable repower option available at your fingertips with some time and minimal effort.

 

Thanks!

 

Good to see you back!

 

Hope to see more from you.

 

JJ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And this is the latest fun that I've been up to.

 

Type 91 aircraft that has been maintained in accordance with type 43...so we got to do its 50, 100, 500, 1000, and 2000 hour inspection all in one shot.  Luckily, they're all covered in the 2k inspection.

 

Got the all the new parts yesterday, reinstalled everything today, button up and leak check is tomorrow.

 

Cleanest job I have ever had, and I'd like to retire from it down the road.

20180227_103344.jpg

20180227_103822.jpg

20180315_172811.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Pretty little airplane. What is it?

That's a Diamond DA40-180.   Has a 180hp Lycoming io360, max speed 147 knots, so not terribly fast for the price tag (150 to 170k used, over 200k new)

 

Here's the 1977 Seneca 2 that I painted, plus much maintenance.  Also, diamond returned to her hangar, inspection complete

20170602_150538.jpg

20170627_120906.jpg

20170711_180601.jpg

20170714_201559.jpg

20170721_130141.jpg

20170721_170549.jpg

20171216_110949.jpg

20171216_114839.jpg

20180316_171735.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Pete M said:

you definitely need to start a couple "other project" threads. :D   

I'll be starting a thread on a 1955 Beech Craft E35 Bonanza, soon.  This is my plane.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.

 

It's got recent paint, single pane windshield conversion, only 400hrs since major engine overhaul, and used to have tip tanks (this is great for me, as the stc paperwork to install new same manufacturer tip tanks are in the log books, attached to this specific plane...so it will only cost about a grand.

 

Got parked for instrument panel upgrade, they got as far as removing it, and the owner quit aviation.

 

Works out for my coworker and I who are splitting costs on the plane.  This will get me my private pilots license, vfr rating, ifr rating, complex (retractable landing gear), and high performance (225 hp 6 cyl continental e225), with a fuel range of 740 miles with safe reserves.  All at less than 50% of the normal cost lol

20180220_091432.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

Those Beech Bonanza's are sweet with that sexy v-tail.

They are, but they have a reputation as being "Doctor killers" with their high cost back in the day and the amount of them that lost the stabilators in flight.

 

This one does at least have the Airworthiness Directive complete to reinforce the spars and leading edges on the tail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JeepcoMJ said:

They are, but they have a reputation as being "Doctor killers" with their high cost back in the day and the amount of them that lost the stabilators in flight.

 

Yep, I remember that. I flew a little bit back in the late 70s - early 80s. Never a Bonanza though, just Cessna flying club stuff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JeepcoMJ said:

They are, but they have a reputation as being "Doctor killers" with their high cost back in the day and the amount of them that lost the stabilators in flight.

 

 

I wasn't going to bring that up ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HOrnbrod said:

 

Yep, I remember that. I flew a little bit back in the late 70s - early 80s. Never a Bonanza though, just Cessna flying club stuff. 

That's cool!

 

Our company plane is a Cessna 172 (1977-november).  We get free use of it for getting our license, or personal use to just keep up on hours...only cost is that we perform inspections on our own time (saves boss $ on labor for annuals).

 

It can get me IFR, VFR, and private...but not complex or high performance.  My coworker and I figured cost wise it's cheaper and easier to buy the plane and knock it all out on the same hours.  Plane is $15k, parts $5k or more depending on what we do in the long run, and insurance is $90/month for maximum coverage.  It would cost me $250/hr to rent a complex high performance aircraft, at another 40 hours...which is already $10k.  And then I'd buy one for $25k or more, so it does not add up to go the "free" way.

 

My goal is to have a reliable, comfortable aircraft in which to fly my brother to his neurologist in Cleveland 4 to 10 times a year, as necessary.  It will be a couple hundred bucks cheaper in fuel, and can be a 1 day affair rather than a 3 day affair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Eagle said:

 

I wasn't going to bring that up ...

 

Need to be realistic.  It was a problem.  However, not one has crashed due to stabilator failure since the AD was put out.  It's anot awareness issue at this point, but no longer a realistic concern as long as they are maintained.

 

It's extremely difficult to find an inspected aircraft at this point which is not 100% airworthy, considering that inspections are required annually or every 100 hrs, or the aircraft is grounded.  Even easier to enforce now with the required transponders by 2020.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

6 minutes ago, JeepcoMJ said:

My goal is to have a reliable, comfortable aircraft in which to fly my brother to his neurologist in Cleveland 4 to 10 times a year, as necessary.  It will be a couple hundred bucks cheaper in fuel, and can be a 1 day affair rather than a 3 day affair.

 

That's a good goal - hope you achieve it. I used to work at the flight clubs (Fort Eustis, VA then Cubi Point, Philippines) for flight time, and flew mostly 172's and 150's. We called them flying tractors, but they were rugged and very forgivable. Wish I had kept it up, but job assignments wouldn't allow it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

 

 

 

That's a good goal - hope you achieve it. I used to work at the flight clubs (Fort Eustis, VA then Cubi Point, Philippines) for flight time, and flew mostly 172's and 150's. We called them flying tractors, but they were rugged and very forgivable. Wish I had kept it up, but job assignments wouldn't allow it.

 

It's a shame, I can see flying appealing to your nature.

 

And thank you, I love it.  Ironic considering that I'm afraid of heights.  I've come to realize that it's actually a fear of heights from which survival is possible (or at least likely).  Living injured doesn't appeal to me lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DirtyComanche said:

Funny thing about the fear of heights, I don't mind flying at all, doors off, whatever, as long as it isn't anything too stupid.

 

Climb a tower or get even near to the edge of a cliff?  Hell NO! :roflmao:

 

Tower?  Nope.  Cliff?  I'd happily go base jumping.  Actually am looking into parapellers right now, and I love skydiving.

 

Cannot and will not do roller coasters or bungee jumping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

Funny thing about the fear of heights, I don't mind flying at all, doors off, whatever, as long as it isn't anything too stupid.

 

Climb a tower or get even near to the edge of a cliff?  Hell NO! :roflmao:

 

Amen, brother!

 

Consider that my profession used to call for doing roof inspections on tall buildings ... Man, the things we do to earn a paycheck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Consider that my profession used to call for doing roof inspections on tall buildings ... Man, the things we do to earn a paycheck.

 

Si. Try doing microwave link path studies from mountaintop HF towers that you have to be helo-ed into. Lots of fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JeepcoMJ said:

 

 

My goal is to have a reliable, comfortable aircraft in which to fly my brother to his neurologist in Cleveland 4 to 10 times a year, as necessary.  It will be a couple hundred bucks cheaper in fuel, and can be a 1 day affair rather than a 3 day affair.

 

how's he doing?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...