Thoughts on this 91 Comanche?

Trout907

Saw this 91 Comanche for sale near me and I'm pretty tempted to buy it. Seems a little high and the rust/odo (estimates at 67k) worries me, but seems like a pretty nice rig otherwise and 4x4s go for a premium up here. Price has dropped to $6500 with room to barter. What do you all think?

http://jeepcomancheforsale.com/1991-pioneer-ax15np231d44-anchorage-ak/

If there is wny rust, dents, major component repairs no way. I'm sure it costs more in Alaska, but if your willing to spend that kinda a cash drop in a ticket to the lower 48 and drive one back from Oregon, Washington, or Colorado. Maybe look into transporting one too. Half of what he is asking is high for here in the rustbelt. Not saying someone wouldn't snatch it up in less than 24 hrs of posting but I wouldnt spend anywhere near that on a mj that needs rust repair. Minor or major the amount of work to patch a small pan or full pan is near the same.

Thanks, I figured as much but on the off chance that it was worth it didn't want to pass it up. The search continues!

Check Craigslist in LA there is always Comanches on it. CA cars with minimal rust if any. If they can’t be sold with a current CA smog certificate that really effects the price. Agreed if your going to spend that much money it may worth jumping on a plane to check it out. You’ll get a better base to start with. Just a thought on it. You could get a good 2wd and convert to 4wd for that much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

As to the 4x4 fetching a higher price... A 2wd is a weekend and a $300 XJ away from a 4x4. 

You're almost better off starting with a 2wd so you can pick and choose components and do a lot of the maintenance items while you're in there.

How many MJs could there possibly be left in Alaska?

How many of those had D44s?  

How much would it cost to ship an MJ D44 from the lower 48?

How much does it cost to ship a complete lift kit to Alaska?

How much does a clean, unmolested MJ go for in Alaska?

I doubt you could reproduce the truck for less than 6k given your location.  The biggest red flag though, as online car adds go, is this part:  "D30 front(needs a little tlc)."  That could mean anything.  Get details.  Inspect gears and tube seals.  

I actually found 2 dana 44 mj rears out of only 7 listed in the united states online in Alaska. Probably because they were in Alaska. I have looked a few times on Craigslist for mjs in Alaska to give my wife and I great excuse to go for our anniversary. There always seems to be at least 1 and not rusty unlike hear in Indiana. Cost is always 1 and half to 2 times more than the lower 48 for about the same thing. So you could save some decent money with a couple of flights and long road trip or at least the money saved payed for the adventure which will always remembered with that mj.

Front bumper is tweaked. Grille is falling out. Tailgate is bent. Wheel arches inside the bed are bashed up. That thing looks to me like a beater truck that just had a Earl Schieb paint job thrown on it.

On 3/19/2018 at 5:46 PM, SBpunk said:

Finding a good rust free comanche in alaska is going to be a pain. 

Finding a good, rust-free Comanche anywhere is going to be a pain. The newest MJs are now 26 years old.