What’s up fellas 

got my eye on a Waggy 44 front in the junkyard but looking into details of that and I ran into the Isuzu 44s to match the front wheel lug pattern...

if I were to get both these axles I want to install them into my 4cyl comanche 

i currently have 4.88s and 35s but I still feel like I need a bit more grunt....

i know the waggy front I would have to regear to match the rear but are there any install kits for the Isuzu 44 from 5:13s and up? 

Sorry for beating a dead horse but there’s a lot of vague threads leading up to the install kits... 

Thanks in advance 

39 minutes ago, Pete M said:

If I remember right, it's just a Dana 44.  I don't think there's anything special about it like the 44a.  

^^ This. The gear guts are the same as any other D44. I used an Isuzu Trac-Lok carrier in my MJ D44 when I had it regeared. As far as 5:13s and up, I don't know.

Yeah, it's a regular D44.  5.89 is the lowest gearset you can commercially source, AFAIK.  It should (it is listed to) take the regular D44 setup kit.

I would personally go with 5.13 over 5.89 for strength reasons.

Check what ratio the D44 comes with, I don't know what was typical of them but the earlier 12 Bolt axle most often came with 4.56 gears (and there was another low ratio that was a little oddball but rare).  The 12 Bolt is a great axle too as long as you're okay with the lack of aftermarket support, it is stronger than a D44 and has great ground clearance and disk brakes.

1 hour ago, DirtyComanche said:

Yeah, it's a regular D44.  5.89 is the lowest gearset you can commercially source, AFAIK.  It should (it is listed to) take the regular D44 setup kit.

Check what ratio the D44 comes with, I don't know what was typical of them but the earlier 12 Bolt axle most often came with 4.56 gears (and there was another low ratio that was a little oddball but rare).  The 12 Bolt is a great axle too as long as you're okay with the lack of aftermarket support, it is stronger than a D44 and has great ground clearance and disk brakes.

I’ve seen as far what threads have mentioned 4.10, 4.30, 4.56 (rare) 

i want to go 5.38s for my 4cyl to prep IF I go 37s

3 hours ago, MeanLemons said:

There’s also the width issue with the Isuzu d44’s. 

Would 1” spacers help? 

7 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

I have one. To my understanding there is an early model and a late model. I think the late model has different gears than standard. There is a site or thread on this somewhere on the net.

What would be considered early models? 

All ive seen by far are 98-01 models 

On 3/12/2018 at 12:17 PM, DirtyComanche said:

Me too. Here's a killer deal on genuine Dana Spicer 5.13 gears:

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/ring-pinions/2020752-dana-dana-44-rear-gear-set-5-13

3 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

Me too. Here's a killer deal on genuine Dana Spicer 5.13 gears:

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/ring-pinions/2020752-dana-dana-44-rear-gear-set-5-13

Those are JK gears.  They aren't the same.  I don't know about using them, as I don't think they use the same bearings and some of the dimensions are not the same, but Jantz Engineering might offer a kit to do so?

6 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

Those are JK gears.  They aren't the same.  I don't know about using them, as I don't think they use the same bearings and some of the dimensions are not the same, but Jantz Engineering might offer a kit to do so?

Yep, you're correct Dirty - thought I read they were for the regular D44's. Should have known better - all Northridge sells now is JK stuff....

I'm following this thread its awesome i have had the waggy front in my garage for the past 6 years. I had one in there for 3 years before that scrapped it regreted it and got the next one I seen. I was lucky these were the only 2 I ever found not pulled. Since day 1 I always wondered about that rear end. After about 5 years of having it in my garage I did some investigating and could find several in the yards with 4.10's and didnt know they could go higher. I soon found mj and xj 44 rears and forgotten about it. These isuzu 44s are still around in a few places and I might buy a couple if I can find them with the larger carrier and good disks. I kept the waggy front bcause It had new lockers calipers and brakes just bfore it hit the scrapyard and I couldnt let it get crunched. A full width longbed i6 ho mj would b sweet and I have just the truck for it.

On 3/12/2018 at 2:22 PM, 88whitemanche said:

I’ve seen as far what threads have mentioned 4.10, 4.30, 4.56 (rare) 

i want to go 5.38s for my 4cyl to prep IF I go 37s

I'm right there with ya, I havent even finished my build and I am already thinking of more mods. 37s is the goal and was planning in the future to go with d44s to be able to get more gearing than the 5.13 limit in a d30 but in the mean time... if your 4.88s need a new home lmk. 

16 hours ago, 88whitemanche said:

Would 1” spacers help? 

What would be considered early models? 

All ive seen by far are 98-01 models 

I looked through Car-Parts.com. Seems there are three gens. 95-97. These have the 4.56 ratio. I didn't look if there was discs  and drums. 98-99. Then 2000-02. I would consider the 00-02 the late models. Still, I'd search on that. I've had my Waggy front for probably 10 years. Its PS drop. One of the companies says a Ford 9 brace will fit it. So, then I could but on an XJ/MJ brackets to that.

I have owned 2 different Isuzu Rodeos. Don't forget to look at Honda Passports of the same years. They are the same truck.

First was a 1998 with V6, 2 wheel drive, 5 speed transmission.  Factory rear end was 4.30 - Dana 44

Second was a 2001 with V6, 4 x 4, automatic trans.  Factory gearing was 4.10 - Dana 44 front and rear.

Both trucks have/had 6 bolt wheels and disk brakes on both front and rear

Rear track was 1 inch narrower than the Comanche rear track.

Links to some Isuzu forums below:

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=70607802c1a86e7669e85b00d536c775

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/51-isuzu/

This thread has specific information installing a standard 5.13 gear set in the 98+ Rodeo rear end:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/isuzu/603807-definative-tech-thread-1998-isuzu-rear-dana-44-axle.html

Hope this helps someone.

3 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

I looked through Car-Parts.com. Seems there are three gens. 95-97. These have the 4.56 ratio. I didn't look if there was discs  and drums. 98-99. Then 2000-02. I would consider the 00-02 the late models. Still, I'd search on that. I've had my Waggy front for probably 10 years. Its PS drop. One of the companies says a Ford 9 brace will fit it. So, then I could but on an XJ/MJ brackets to that.

From reading some of the posts on different forums and specifically the pirate forum mentioned above it’s gotta be from 97- axles that used common Dana 44 internals 

1 hour ago, johnj92131 said:

I have owned 2 different Isuzu Rodeos. Don't forget to look at Honda Passports of the same years. They are the same truck.

First was a 1998 with V6, 2 wheel drive, 5 speed transmission.  Factory rear end was 4.30 - Dana 44

Second was a 2001 with V6, 4 x 4, automatic trans.  Factory gearing was 4.10 - Dana 44 front and rear.

Both trucks have/had 6 bolt wheels and disk brakes on both front and rear

Rear track was 1 inch narrower than the Comanche rear track.

Links to some Isuzu forums below:

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=70607802c1a86e7669e85b00d536c775

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/51-isuzu/

This thread has specific information installing a standard 5.13 gear set in the 98+ Rodeo rear end:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/isuzu/603807-definative-tech-thread-1998-isuzu-rear-dana-44-axle.html

Hope this helps someone.

Good info...

the pirate4x4 link shows for 98+ Dana 44s on rodeos/passports that have the differences in sizes 

OK so pretty much post #35,36 

on the pirate4x4 link defines what rear axle 

rodeo/passport to get.....

i just saw that the jy has a 95 passport

hell, just thinking about it

for the front waggy 44 I might grab a later model rodeo lsd carrier and throw it in there to save for funds later down the road...

Pulled the 87 waggy 44 front end

went to check out the Isuzu 44s and all the covers have been drilled through to drop the oil from the diff....sucks

only 1 had a limited slip (turning axle shaft) but to pull one of those axles i would need help....

its literally like a tj rear axle 

• 4 weeks later...