NP231 AA SYE Install

Hello everybody.  I am working on a 95 YJ right now, which I lifted three inches, and need to install a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) to get the proper driveshaft angle back.  I'm posting here in MJ tech, as this is applicable to MJs which get the same treatment.

I got the SYE from Advance Adapters and have been looking at the install instructions.  They're pretty much terrible for anyone who hasn't done this before, like me.  I have all the tools I need (I think), and right now the drivetrain is sitting on the frame with the tub off, so it should be an easy job without much trouble.  The thing is, I don't want to screw it up.  A local Jeep shop will do the install if I bring the transfer case into them for $350. 

So, looking for advice from members who have done the install.  Should I shell out the cash to have pros do it, or is it all simpler than it looks?  Does anybody have a link to a definitive how-to that they used?  Thanks.

It's easy.  I've never done it on a tcase that new, but there's very few tricks to it.  I recommend doing it on the bench in the vertical position (tail shaft up) as I find it makes life easier.  Make sure you verify it will shift before you put it back in, you can C#*@ the shift fork off and jam it, make sure you get the oil pump seated right and the pickup tube in it, and beyond that as long as you keep things clean and use enough RTV it will be fine.

Check out You Tube, there's several videos that go through the process, they should give you an idea what to expect.

The install will be basically the same for most kits so even if the video covers another brand it will still apply to you.

Check out You Tube, there's several videos that go through the process, they should give you an idea what to expect.

The install will be basically the same for most kits so even if the video covers another brand it will still apply to you.
Yeah, I second you tube, there are lot of walk throughs, and once you have the case opened it's really a fairly simple beast.
Go and get a set of Duckbill pliers (transmission snap ring pliers) they are like a set of pliers that work backwards. IMO they are a must. 1 1/8" deep socket, and a tube of Permatex Ultra Grey RTV. That and some patience, a 10mm 12pt, and a 15mm socket should be about all you really need.
I did the SYE on my XJ on my front deck in the summer over a few cold ones. Hardest part about it was getting started, then cracking the case open.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Finally got around to this today.  I want to thank everyone who replied with links, advice and a confidence boost.

All in all I say this is a very easy install and anybody could do it with the right tools following good instructions.  The one essential tool to get for the job is a heavy duty pair of lock ring pliers. Before:

20180610_102437.jpg

During:

20180611_150916.jpg

20180611_152758.jpg

20180611_151947_001.jpg

20180623_134840.jpg

And installed.  I will have to adjust the pinion angle on the D35, but can't do that until the tub is back on and weight added:

20180623_144859.jpg

The difference:

20180623_144852.jpg