Haulin MJs, here to there and back

krustyballer16

On 2/28/2018 at 6:25 PM, Pete M said:

with enough rear bumper, who needs rear visibility?  :D   I certainly don't.  :peep:

Pete that's a universal bed tire mount? or did you make something that ties in the rear bumper?

custom made and integrated into both the rollbar and bumper.  the bolts aren't there yet int he pics, but it bolts to the bumper.  the rollbar and tire carrier cost me about $200 and was done by a local fab guy using 2" DOM.  (I built the frame mounts and cut the holes through the bed, he did all the bending and welding)

9 minutes ago, Pete M said:

it was a work in progress. :D    I've got LED version to replace them.  is that less redneck?    :laugh:

Si.  :laugh:  The license plate mounting and it's lighting system are very cool too.   

Krusty, where are the updates?  did you get to the grand canyon?
Made it home at 11am my time. made a 17 hour trip (2nd half of the return) last 23 hours! Lol.

Didnt stop at the grand canyon or anything on the way there or back. Boring drive.

4678 miles and about 450 gallons of fuel!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

My MJ drove itself to Badwater Basin. Just saying. :grinyes:

kWC7a5V.jpg

Well I guess I mean I was driving it. #notrailer

Death Valley's a crazy place. I loved it even though both myself and the MJ (which has coolant mixed for -50°C not +50°C) were struggling with the heat. That old truck got to experience a 155°F temperature range that year... fortunately not within the same trip. 

Glad you made it home safe!

My MJ drove itself to Badwater Basin. Just saying. :grinyes:
kWC7a5V.jpg&key=5c548a27ec453f3f04beac57fc61998a10e2d7823f0fe3f6fbaba5cdb5e33f29
Well I guess I mean I was driving it. #notrailer

Death Valley's a crazy place. I loved it even though both myself and the MJ (which has coolant mixed for -50°C not +50°C) were struggling with the heat. That old truck got to experience a 155°F temperature range that year... fortunately not within the same trip. 
Glad you made it home safe!
Ya, temps are crazy around there. 45 minutes from 29 palms toward death valley it was 32 and snowing, 2 miles later it was 54. Crazy

33 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

Back home again, Indiana.  Praise God you guys made it back safely.  Sounded like a very cool adventure that I'd love to do one day.

Take a bit more time to do the trip than Brandon did.

Kept record of all my fuel. Including the weekend before, driving 1000 miles to get John's truck.

$5.21 was the highest I paid for diesel and that was in the middle of nowhere California, actually not too far from 29 palms...

$1267, 5695 miles total, 401 gallons, averages out to 14.2 mpg. a13ba89dc567625a0ae1807770e2f3d3.jpg

Bo dropped the truck off about 10 a.m. and showed me the 86 only interlock to press so I could get the key out of the ignition switch.  

Friday I contacted Bo and asked if I could pick up the Comanche on Sunday.  Bo sent me a text saying he was picking up a shell for his Dodge Saturday less than 10 miles away from me.  How about I pay for the Uhaul trailer and he drops my Comanche at my house?

You really have love all the people on these car club forums who just simply help other forum members.  Makes for a great community.

My thanks to Brandon, Bo, AutoMan, and other Comanche club members who have provided help when needed.e

On the TDICLUB, both David Oh and Matt Whitbread freely provided their professional technical expertise.

David is a superb, highly experienced, PhD level engineer with years of diesel experience. His guidance in this TDI Comanche project has been fantastic.

Matt Whitbread has again shown his excellent craftsmanship on this project. Matt simply does excellent work.  Ask Bo and Brandon.

My first task now that I have the truck home was to fix a flat front tire.  Then take the truck to the AAA to register it on CALIFORNIA. Unfortunately, because the truck was imported from Canada, I have to go to the DMV.  My appointment is March 20.