Best complete lift kit

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a caveat is the pinion is a flange with the u-joint adapter bolted on.  I'd wager that it's a bit longer than a dana 35 snout.  I've got one of each here so tomorrow I'll go try to estimate the measurements.   :thumbsup:

other than that it's just more bracketry to hack off than an XJ one.  

a caveat is the pinion is a flange with the u-joint adapter bolted on.  I'd wager that it's a bit longer than a dana 35 snout.  I've got one of each here so tomorrow I'll go try to estimate the measurements.   :thumbsup:

other than that it's just more bracketry to hack off than an XJ one.  

Can you give us a WMS to WMS measurement too?

the snout length of my '06 Liberty 8.25 (with disks) seems to be the same as my MJ dana 44, which is 1" longer than a dana 35.  

WMS-WMS is 63".  wider than I thought. :dunno:   should complement an MJ nicely since the bed of an MJ is wider than the front making the tires tuck in too much. :D

it's a 3 link coil sprung axle, so be prepared to slice and dice a bunch of brackets to clean it up.  :thumbsup:  not all libbys had disks or even 8.25s, so verify before purchasing.

WMS-WMS is 63".  wider than I thought. :dunno:   should complement an MJ nicely since the bed of an MJ is wider than the front making the tires tuck in too much. :D

That would be the perfect width for an MJ. The WMS-WMS would be equal to the existing D35 / D44 width w. 1.25" spacers.

I've got an 8.25 out of a 2003 2.5l KJ. Disc brakes and 4.10's.

I grabbed all the suspension when I pulled it cause I wasn't sure if whenever I got around to putting it in, if I'd want to keep the leafs or attempt to make the coils and 3-link fit. I'm not sure I'm any closer to a decision on that. Or like, actually doing either, considering the truck and axle have been 1000 miles apart for the last five months.

car-part.com is a junkyard search engine. :thumbsup:  don't forget to search for various years because the website only organizes by part number and those change over the years even if the axle still swaps.

• 2 weeks later...

try a Liberty for a rear axle.  my 06 has an 8.25 that has disks and is a couple inches wider than stock MJ (to better mach the MJ's wide butt).  ZJ or TJ front axles are commonly found with 3.73.  

Just to throw in another option I went with an explorer 8.8 rear that came with discs, 3.73 gears and a limited slip. They're a bit narrower, but are usually pretty easy to find in junkyards. On the day I got mine I found 3 there, and picked the cleanest of the bunch.

• 3 months later...

Once again, the title of this thread is right.  I don't want to start a new one or reinvent the wheel.  Here are my thoughts and goals ...

SIERRA051's OP sums it up for me.  3 inch lift and keep a quality ride.  I will not be wheeling.   I picked a 3 inch lift because I believe it will give me the "look" I want.  You know, the "Earl*t's '89 Eliminator", kind of look!  Damn she's a beauty. 

I've been squirreling it ($) away and plan to lift both my MJ and XJ.  I already have 16x8 Moab wheels on the MJ with P255/70/16 Bridgestone tires.  No lift, but they rub on the lower control arms when turned to the stops.  My goal is clearance for a taller, wider tire (265/75/16?) and keep them UNDER the vehicle (minimal rubber beyond the stock flare) which is the only reason for the lifts.  I'm going to put the same wheels on the XJ and ultimately the same tire.  I'd like to at least have a "stock ride" and have the geometry right so as not to tax other parts, develop noise or experience this thing I've read about called the Death Wobble.    

With those goals in mind I would like to get "complete" kits.  Much of this thread (and nearly all of MJ Tech) is over my head, so I ask for your expertise.

AdTHANKSvance,  Tim

Are control arms part of a lift "kit" or purchased separately? 

Love Hornbrod's truck, but sadly, mine will never look as good.   It is, however, one of the sources for inspiration on what I'd like to do with mine. 

the WJ arms are stock items that came on 99-04 grand Cherokees.  they are available in the aftermarket brand new. :thumbsup: but they are not part of any kit.  

what I would do:    

WJ upper and lower arms 

OME coils

bilstien or ome shocks

longer sway bar links (as opposed to the drop brackets)

your choice of track bar

your choice of rear lift (AAL, junkyard AALs, full aftermarket pack)

longer brake lines (for the life of me I can't remember which were best. I used to say YJ fronts and Dakota rears, but since then someone has pointed out even better ones.)

good point!  :thumbsup:   now that I've thought about it, I would also add a double booster, stronger rear axle, rear disks, better gears, hitch and front tow hooks.  and that's just for a street queen.  it really doesn't ever end. :D  

Well, I was trying to stick to suspension and steering, but since you've entered other areas, some more "nice to have" upgrades include:

Power windows, mirrors, locks, and antenna
Full console and instrument cluster
Rear sliding window
LED or H4 headlights w. a HD relay wiring harness
31" tires on Ravine or Turbine OEM wheels
93-98 ZJ quick ratio (12.7:1) steering gear box
Larger alternator and mains cables
Quality 3-core radiator AND

A stroker engine with all the bolt-ons

All these things and more are doable by most everyone with average skills. Just takes a little time and cash.  :beerchug: