Ls swap value?

Callmehickross

Well, then go for it.  It is your truck.  Most of all, it is your toy.  What ever you choose to do, you will learn something by doing it with your own hands.

Because your current truck is a 4 cylinder, I would suggest that you look for an all aluminum Chevy/GM engine.  That will help your front end and will help your cooling issues.  It will also give you a bit better mpg in the real world. I would even suggest you look at the 4.8 version of the Chevy/GM engine. Lots of power there and a lower purchase price with more choices for you as the buyer (EVERYBODY wants the 5.3/6.0 version 400+ horsepower).  285 horsepower and a very wide, flat torque curve will do wonders for a light weight truck. 

Consider buying the engine and an automatic transmission together.  Yes, an automatic transmission!  It will save you money and effort to mate a different trans to the V8.  More important it will save you headaches when you do the electronics and the wiring.

If you find a clean donor Cherokee you'll have all the wiring and PCM and mounts you need to do the install. And its all bolt in. No need to fab any parts or buy expensive adapters. I myself wouldn't even bother with a stroker. A good reliable fresh 4.0 is all you need to do what you want to do. Do gears in the axles ands you'll have all the oompf you need.

Well, then go for it. It is your truck. Most of all, it is your toy. What ever you choose to do, you will learn something by doing it with your own hands.

Because your current truck is a 4 cylinder, I would suggest that you look for an all aluminum Chevy/GM engine. That will help your front end and will help your cooling issues. It will also give you a bit better mpg in the real world. I would even suggest you look at the 4.8 version of the Chevy/GM engine. Lots of power there and a lower purchase price with more choices for you as the buyer (EVERYBODY wants the 5.3/6.0 version 400+ horsepower). 285 horsepower and a very wide, flat torque curve will do wonders for a light weight truck.

Consider buying the engine and an automatic transmission together. Yes, an automatic transmission! It will save you money and effort to mate a different trans to the V8. More important it will save you headaches when you do the electronics and the wiring.

I was actually considering the 4.8 just because you can get a donor truck 5 speed behind it with 4x4 from factory

If you find a clean donor Cherokee you'll have all the wiring and PCM and mounts you need to do the install. And its all bolt in. No need to fab any parts or buy expensive adapters. I myself wouldn't even bother with a stroker. A good reliable fresh 4.0 is all you need to do what you want to do. Do gears in the axles ands you'll have all the oompf you need.

I hear what your saying but I just feel like it's a lot of work for something that comes stock in a jeep at that point it would literally be cheaper to buy a 4.0 Comanche and swap my lift and 4.10 rears over

I don't think there's such a thing as a break even engine swap, unless you start with a vehicle with very minimal value (like my 86 that didn't come with an engine/trans) and then perform the most junkyard of swaps imaginable.

If you want to do things clean, nice, and correct, just the 'little things' will easily add up to more than the vehicle can be resold for.

Just swapping a 4L from an XJ can get expensive, since it typically turns into a large case of 'while we're in here.'

Something like an LS swap I would be happy if resale was 50% of the money 'invested.'

It reminds me of one of my friends coming over and looking at my "built" (sorta) XJ and saying "Wow, you probably could sell this thing for way more than you have into it!"  Uh, no, I've got $10K+ in it, and it's a budget build that I might be able to sell for $5k.  And that's not counting thousands of hours of labour.

It reminds me of one of my friends coming over and looking at my "built" (sorta) XJ and saying "Wow, you probably could sell this thing for way more than you have into it!"  Uh, no, I've got $10K+ in it, and it's a budget build that I might be able to sell for $5k.  And that's not counting thousands of hours of labour.

If I had a penny for every minute I spent just staring at my CJ figuring out how I was going to run this wire, or mount that electronic throttle pedal, or route this fuel line and secure it with that bracket, I'd be comfortably retired and off four wheeling somewhere.

I hear what your saying but I just feel like it's a lot of work for something that comes stock in a jeep at that point it would literally be cheaper to buy a 4.0 Comanche and swap my lift and 4.10 rears over

But the reality is that a 4.0L (or a stroker) swap is a LOT less work than a V8 conversion from another make.

But the reality is that a 4.0L (or a stroker) swap is a LOT less work than a V8 conversion from another make.

Yes, you can actually just go to a wrecker, or on CL, or the classifieds here, or even a parts store, and buy parts to do the swap that will just bolt on and fit.

Once you do something beyond the OEM, you can wind up with everything being custom, modified, or one-off...

Just to chime in on everyone sayi g cooling and frame issues.... Novak solved all those issues. Aluminum racing radiators and mounts that wrap around the frame... All at a price though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What I failed to mention is I already have that type Of rad and three electric fans fabricated and installed in my mj I had to do fabrications because I have a 86

So cooling shouldn't be an issue for me especially if I look for one with an aluminum block , I'm sure iron would be fine as well the radiator even has a build in trans cooler I payed more for it then I did for my mj (let the roast begin)

I wish I knew how to upload pictures from my phone I've been dying to make a build thread but I don't care enough to go buy a computer lol I'm sure I could use a friends but that seems silly

Just to chime in on everyone sayi g cooling and frame issues.... Novak solved all those issues. Aluminum racing radiators and mounts that wrap around the frame... All at a price though.

What I failed to mention is I already have that type Of rad and three electric fans fabricated and installed in my mj I had to do fabrications because I have a 86

So cooling shouldn't be an issue for me especially if I look for one with an aluminum block , I'm sure iron would be fine as well the radiator even has a build in trans cooler I payed more for it then I did for my mj (let the roast begin)

I wish I knew how to upload pictures from my phone I've been dying to make a build thread but I don't care enough to go buy a computer lol I'm sure I could use a friends but that seems silly

I'll pm you and tell you how. But the Novak rad and trans cooler is sweet that what I have. With an iron or aluminum block it'll keep Temps below 200 if you buy there three fan setup as well. It's pricey but worth it. The cooling is solved once you get that. Open or closed.

I'll pm you and tell you how. But the Novak rad and trans cooler is sweet that what I have. With an iron or aluminum block it'll keep Temps below 200 if you buy there three fan setup as well. It's pricey but worth it. The cooling is solved once you get that. Open or closed.

Got the app thanks

e313303f674fc558c17ce427e8c37f17.jpg

Now that I have it I'll start working on my build thread when I get some some

Here's a quick picture of where it sits now

b48b4969bc74b65551439986b08e2eea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk