Project - Kids first car

Just picked up a 90 eliminator from a local guy - also see that he has been on this board. It's my kids first car, and we'll be fixing it up for him to drive. I got a good deal on it, so let me say first that I'm not complaining about the condition - was planning on repairs - kid really wanted a comanche

Started out with a well built and used 90 comanche - 4.0L, AX15, 33" tires

First thing is to replace the floorpans, which are pretty well gone and also the drivers cab corner which is also rusted through. Bed will get replaced with one from a junkyard. The AX15 will be removed in favor of an AW4.

Here's where I ask for help. If anyone has a cab that they are scrapping with a good drivers side rear cab corner I need one. The floors are easy enough to buy new but I havn't found a source for cab corners.

Thanks

Chuck P

www.oldjeep.com

P7140038.JPG

hey chuck, i notice you're swapping an AX15 for an AW4... is the tranny any good? if so i'd love to buy it along with the bellhousing... i have a t-case that'll bolt up to it, and i also have an AW4 laying around if you need it.

hey chuck, i notice you're swapping an AX15 for an AW4... is the tranny any good? if so i'd love to buy it along with the bellhousing... i have a t-case that'll bolt up to it, and i also have an AW4 laying around if you need it.

Tranny is fine, guy said he put it in not too long ago and it shifts good. Not sure it would be worthwile money wise to ship all the way to GA, but I'll post up here when it's available.

As far as the AW4 goes, I havn't picked one up yet (gave one away 2 months ago - ugg). But they are $79 at the u-pull so I'm covered there.

Thanks

oh no, it'd be very worthwhile to ship, dry weights only 100lbs iirc, UPS is ~1$ a pound i would gladly pay it depending on what you would be asking for the tranny itself, our yard doesnt see many stick 4.0s

Ah, I saw 5 of them today at the u-pull. Around here they are pretty common.

don't trash that plastic 'brow' people expressed their intrest in it when the other owner had it posted on here. sell it jamminz.gif

It's staying on the truck, and so is the "wing"

it's fiberglass.

the "wing" is a racerback.

and yes, keep them.

where are you located? I may be able to help with the dents in the bed ;)

it's fiberglass.

the "wing" is a racerback.

and yes, keep them.

where are you located? I may be able to help with the dents in the bed ;)

I'm in Victoria, MN. Help how? Have you got a spare shortbed?

Worked out a trade yesterday with one of the guys in my offroad club. Swapping the wheels and tires off the MJ for a set of stock Rubicon wheels and tires. That ought to take care of the howl from the mud rovers

Little progress. New front bumper and mirrors (old ones didn't stay in place) Also swapped on the rubicon rims and MTr's. Floor pans are next. After that is the auto trans and a bed replacement.

P7190035.JPG

P7190036.JPG

P7190037.JPG

Little work done this weekend. Got the stereo fixed (very important) :) Also replaced the one bent control arm.

Found 2 replacement beds. One perfect one for $500 with tailgate and lights, and this one for $75 and a few parts I have laying around. Unfortunately the $500 wasn't in the budget, but this one is repairable

PICT0033-1.jpg

PICT0034-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Phase 1 - parts accumulation is just about done.

Got a 96 23 spline AW4, and associated wiring, TCU and stuff, shifter and new factory trans lines.

Trip to the u-pull tommorrow should get the rest of the junk I'm missing - renix TB, front driveshaft, cooler fittings for the radiator (jpcomanche had already put in a new radiator and thankfully it has a trans cooler in it!)

Need to swap the TV cable from the 96 trans with the one that is in my wrangler. The renix era aw4 uses a short TV cable that barely worked on my YJ. The 96 has the one I need and the 89 in my yj has what the comanche needs.

P8040013.JPG

P8040015.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had some time to work on it yesterday. Pulled the AX15 out along with the related manual trans stuff. Worst part was getting out the steel ring that surrounds the pilot bearing. Grease trick didn't want to work so I wound up having to severly abuse my pilot bearing puller.

Hopefully today I'll get the AW4 hanging. Still need another trip to the junkyard for some misc small parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing left on the trans swap except hooking up 7 or 8 wires. Got all the hoses hooked up and fired it up today. No leaks! I did notice that one of the rear DS joints must have crushed needles as it is sloppy as heck. Will also need to have the rear shaft shortened 1" so that there is more that 1/8" slip in the yoke. Also need to scrounge a couple of the trans cooler line hangers from a junker.

Need to let it all cool down and then tackle the wiring.

And the tranny swap is done. Realized the other day that I pulled a tcu harness from a 91, and I needed a 87-90 so went to the u-pull and $8 later had what I needed.

Got it all wired up and took it for a drive. Works very well.