Project - Kids first car

Um, yea, that don't look too good there. Good thing you had a replacement on hand.

I didn't have one on hand, had to go out and buy one friday night. And it was an earlier one so it had the 21 spline output which requied an input shaft swap in the tcase. Luckily I did have an extra one of those.

• 2 months later...

Had some time last weekend to check the floors. No suprise that the carpet was hiding some big holes. Cut out all the rot, put some primer on what was left. Patch panels got some panel adhesive, sheetmetal screws and tack welds. Everything got a good coat of herculiner inside and out before the carpet went back in.

PB070045.JPG

PB070047.JPG

PB120008.JPG

PB120009.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully the last work on the MJ until spring, getting to hard to get it back to the shop in the snow

Nothing much to take pictures of. Took 2 hours start to finish, couldn't be easier.

1) remove both driveshafts

2) remive crossmember

3) remove 231

4) bolt in 242

5) Adjust shift linkage 1/4" and swap shift pattern bezel

6) reinstall crossmember and driveshafts

His truck doesn't have a vac disconnect any more but it still had the vac actuated shift light. For the moment, I took the vac switch off the old tcase and left it hooked to the harness, mainly because I didn't feel like messing with it at the moment. I've still got to get the harness for the 242 and run the PT and FT indicator light wiring.

But it works great. Took it out on the iciest road I could find and tried to to tail whips in ft 4wd, and it behaves great. As an added bonus, the 242 came with a 35 tooth speedo gear which was what we needed to get the speedo reading correct (truck had a 29 in it)

Worst part of the whole deal was getting the comanche stuck coming out of the shop (garage in back yard with no driveway). Had to pull it out with the much taller YJ.

where did you get those floor pans, and how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking. Mine are a touch worse than yours, i was just going to use sheet metal but those would make the project a ton easier.

I believe he did what most people did...buy sheetmetal and bend them to patch what he can