Tires?

I'm going to need some 16" tires for my wife's 2000 XJ. Stock size is 225/70-16. I'm trying to keep the cost down, but get decent tires out of the deal.

I was leaning heavily toward a Cooper Discoverer H/T. Yesterday I was in a Wal-Mart and I spotted a Goodyear tire I've never seen before. Turns out it's a Wally World exclusive, and the price is right. Not available in 225/70-16 but it is available in 235/70-16. It's called the Wrangler Trailmark.

Does anybody know anything about it?

I've never heard of that model but these are the ones I could find on the Goodyear page.

• The Goodyear Wrangler "Radial" has a good/bad rap of having rounded shoulders and therefore wearing out faster (less stout) but cheap, er, inexpensive..
  • The Wrangler "Trail Runner AT" has a ~~little better shoulder IMHO, more aggressive tread.
  • But the Wrangler "Duratrac" has an even better, solid shoulder and a much more snow, mud, gravel tread design.

If I was looking at any of those to buy, I'd go with the Duratracs, I would not (ever) buy the regular "radial" model.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/family/wrangler?step1=235&step2=75&step3=15&addr=Paradise%2C+CA+95969%2C+USA&lat=39.7213638&lng=-121.65112579999999&cta=undefined

I've never heard of that model but these are the ones I could find on the Goodyear page.

• The Goodyear Wrangler "Radial" has a good/bad rap of having rounded shoulders and therefore wearing out faster (less stout) but cheap, er, inexpensive..
  • The Wrangler "Trail Runner AT" has a ~~little better shoulder IMHO, more aggressive tread.
  • But the Wrangler "Duratrac" has an even better, solid shoulder and a much more snow, mud, gravel tread design.

If I was looking at any of those to buy, I'd go with the Duratracs, I would not (ever) buy the regular "radial" model.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/family/wrangler?step1=235&step2=75&step3=15&addr=Paradise%2C+CA+95969%2C+USA&lat=39.7213638&lng=-121.65112579999999&cta=undefined

The Duratracs are an off-road tire. Our XJ spends 99% of it's time on pavement. I'm looking for a good highway tire that's going to ride well, give good mileage, and not make a lot of noise.

The original Wrangler Radial was the OEM tire on the XJs and MJs in the 1980s, before Jeep switched over to the SR/As or whatever they used later. I had those on the 2001 XJ I was fixing up for my daughter. Hornbrod doesn't like them, but I do. But they don't offer that tire in a 16-inch size, so I have to find something else.

I am not a fan of WalMart, so take what I say with that in mind.  I am OK with WalMart for car batteries because I am basically buying amp hours.  Likewise I am OK buying a national brand of something like motor oil that I can get at any other store in the country.  But, with WalMart specific items from a national company, WalMart sets a target retail price, then shops suppliers to meet that price.  Compromise specifications frequently what happens to meet the WalMart price target.  I saw this when I was looking for a computer a few years ago.  I have seen it with other WalMart products all too often.

I am OK buying stuff from WalMart as long as I understand that I am not getting a top quality produce - rather a product who's most important thing is a price point.  WalMart sells a bunch of stuff at a  price point and people are sometimes happy with what they buy at a low price point.  Personally, I have purchased cheap tires because I did not expect to keep the car very long or anyone of a number of other reasons.  When I want GOOD tires, I buy at Costco - Usually Michelin tires and I just pay for the good product.,  BTW, my Comanche has cheap Kumho tires and they work just fine, I just don't expect to get 90K miles out of them.  The Passat has the Michelin tires and they work GREAT.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the original "Wrangler Radial" on my '87 and I wasn't a big fan either.  I seem to recall they went pretty fast.  I still wanted Wrangers after I restored my '87 just to keep it factory.   I was pretty pickey.  I wanted outlined white letters and everything.   I went with "Wranger Radial Silent Armor".  I am glad I did that.  That, along with the OME shocks worked out pretty well.

My son has a set of Duratracs on his Grand Cherokee.  They did a great job of going through snow and they wear like iron.  But they are loud.  Lots of road noise.

I'm normally a Michelin guy, but tried a set of Cooper A/T3's from Discount Tire awhile back. These are nice street tires and have showed zero wear to date. Somewhat aggressive looking but not noisy, and the price was right too. I really like them.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/50462-cooper-discoverer-at3-tires/?hl=cooper

50.jpg

Great feedback!  I have used Discount Tire for many years.  Earlier this year I dropped the Comanche off at Discount to have a slow leak in one of the tires repaired.  When I went back to pick up the truck, I was told the tire had been damaged during the repair process.  So Discount simply replaced the the tire with a new one at no cost. Never expected that and offered to pay for half the tire - my tire was half way thru its life.   Ii looks like I will need a pair of tires soon, so I'll take a close look at these Cooper tires.

BTW, I am a long time Michelin user also.

Another satisfied customer for Discount Tire.  I factored in mounting and balancing at WalMart and then went around town.  If anyone could meet the price within $50, they had a sale.  No takers.  Once you purchase from them, you get occasional emails advertising sales (rebates) around major holidays.

I have Kumho (KR21 I think?) 225/75r15 on my XJ and have been very happy with them.  It is a daily driver including snow and ice.

I have Michelins on my Silverado and won't accept anything else.  Yes they cost more, but for a vehicle that will see a lot of miles, they are a sound choice.  For a less driven vehicle, they will dry rot before you run the tread off them.

I'm normally a Michelin guy, but tried a set of Cooper A/T3's from Discount Tire awhile back. These are nice street tires and have showed zero wear to date. Somewhat aggressive looking but not noisy, and the price was right too. I really like them.

50.jpg

+1

I have BFGoodrich ALL Terrain T/A KO2 31 /10.50R15. They are not noisy to me at all on pavement, and got them from discount tire. The bigger size your need to have 3.55 or better I have 4.10.

They are great traction on and off... If I remember right they are pricey. I paid about 780 out the door with discounts at opening of New store deal.

Fantastic tires   :thumbsup:

Eagle - I think you would be pleased with the AT3. They stick like glue in the dry, in the rain and in the snow. Quiet and smooth on the road too.

fs_winterforceuv_pdpfull.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Winterforce+UV&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=27SR6FWFUV&tab=Sizes

I ran these on my old XJ, my current WJ and the LT version on my work van. I absoluetey love them. quiet and fantastic traction. I average 30-40k on a lifespan. and at only $85 a tire you can't beat the price!

I'm a big Tire-rack fan, mostly because of their ratings and customer review sections. That and all they have can be arranged by price or ratings. Their prices are comparable to Discount as well even with shipping. Bought the current set of tires for my wifes car based on that. Ive also bought from them in the past but not for my Jeep. I was going to but then the new JK takeoffs fell in my lap, so now I'm stuck with Goodyear Wrangler SRA's until they dry rot enough to the point they are unsafe (because Ill never put enough miles on them to wear them out before then)