On board refrigerator

So I recently got a good deal on a Dometic CDF-11 12v refrigerator.  I also own an ARB fridge, which is really nice and can run on 12v or 120v.  The CDF-11 only runs on 12v but is a true fridge/freezer like the ARB, only smaller.  And it sort of looks like a center console.  So...

I removed the center console in my Silverado and built a mounting bracket out of 1 1/4" angle iron.  I designed it to tie into the mounting holes of the center console, so no drilling.

I run a dual battery setup in my Silverado, using factory parts.  The second battery is isolated when the truck is off so I can leave the fridge running when I park, if I want, without fear of running the starting battery dead.

The fridge also has a low voltage shutoff to protect against dead batteries, but I've yet to really test that feature out.

The fridge is fairly small, but it can hold drinks and sandwiches for two.  Or a lot of ice cream for one!  The cup holders are can sized, and I miss my larger ones in the console.  There is still some room in front of it, still turning it over in my mind.

How many beers will it hold?

Depends, cans or bottles?

that would be awesome for trips!  cold pop right at your finger tips :D

My last trip to the junkyard, it was nice to come out and even though the AC doesn't work in the Silverado (it's about #15 on the to do list), it was nice to pull out an ice cold Gatorade!

My parents have an older Koolatron that plugged into the cigarette lighter. I imagine this works about the same way. I could just leave it going in the back of the van all day and overnight without a problem, a 20-mile commute in the morning and evening was enough to keep the battery charged. Cold beverages everywhere I went and no dead batteries. It was pretty awesome.

• 5 years later...
  • 11 months later...

An overdue update.

I sold my 2001 Silverado 2500hd 6.0 back in 2020.  It had about 340,000 miles on it.  Bought it in 2010 after returning from Afghanistan, and made a nice profit after owning it for 10 years.

Replaced it with a 2019 Silverado with the L5P.  Nicest truck I've ever owned.  Before I sold the old truck, I pulled the refrigerator, and the first thing I did to the new truck was install the fridge (2nd was the Carthartt seat covers).  Had to modify the bracket.  Used the existing console mounting holes, no new holes were drilled.

IMG_1363.jpeg