Yet another towing question....

What about this???

http://www.jcwhitney.com/draw-tite-receiver-hitch/p3051912.jcwx?filterid=d1169y1987g2j1

Draw-tite denies any hitch for the comanche but JCWhitney says this works.... did I miss reading something?

Truck is almost done and waiting for a hitch

That crossbar looks correct. But that mounting is nowhere close to ok

That crossbar looks correct. But that mounting is nowhere close to ok
That's cause it's a front hitch. It's been discussed already.

Speed limit with a trailer is 55 mph or 90Kph for you Canadians.

No special speed limit for trailers up here. But the onus is on you to load it properly so there are no issues. 15 to 20% tongue weight or more if you want to do 75mph.

Thanks @gogmorgo!

Yes the jc Whitney hitch has been ruled out.

I'm investigating options between getting one made up here or having one complete shipped from krusty

Also looking into the aux cooler options so far presented here.

So just to recap:

truck has timbrens

the rear leafs are newer 3.5 rough country plus leaf to make 4.5

trailer has electronic brakes and I'm already wired up fot a 7pin harness with new Reese brake control unit (to be installed).

Trailer comes with a weight distribution setup (as it was previously towed by a 98 cherokee between ontario to newfoundland)

I'm only adding 2 dirt bikes to the trailer and it'll be just me the dog and one other passenger in the cab. We would also fill up gas/water/etc closer to destination

Otherwise sounds like once the truck is back together plus hitch and the trailer arrives (eta 1 week today) there will be some local test driving to figure how she handles it.

Mikekaz1-

The hitch in the J.C.Whitney link is a FRONT hitch. Not a rear hitch. That is why the mounting looks strange.

I've never seen a front hitch that mounted with that style bracket. I've seen many that use the sway bar bolts. Never that round contraption.

I'm not sure how relevant that picture is to the hitch itself. If you scroll down a bit there's another pic with the same SKU beside it, and it's much more normal-looking. If you scroll down even further, you'll see reviews of hitches for Ram's and Fusions, and all kinds of irrelevant things. Silly way to organize your site IMO, but JCW has more marketing experience than I've been alive, so... :dunno:

Thanks @gogmorgo!

Yes the jc Whitney hitch has been ruled out.

I'm investigating options between getting one made up here or having one complete shipped from krusty

Also looking into the aux cooler options so far presented here.

So just to recap:

truck has timbrens

the rear leafs are newer 3.5 rough country plus leaf to make 4.5

trailer has electronic brakes and I'm already wired up fot a 7pin harness with new Reese brake control unit (to be installed).

Trailer comes with a weight distribution setup (as it was previously towed by a 98 cherokee between ontario to newfoundland)

I'm only adding 2 dirt bikes to the trailer and it'll be just me the dog and one other passenger in the cab. We would also fill up gas/water/etc closer to destination

Otherwise sounds like once the truck is back together plus hitch and the trailer arrives (eta 1 week today) there will be some local test driving to figure how she handles it.

Here's my insights from me towing with my MJ:

1. get a 3 core radiator

2. get an aux cooler for the transmission

3. if you don't have an aux fan, install one

4. even with the weight distributing hitch, get helper springs or airbags

5. glad you got a 7 pin with the brake controller and trailer brakes, don't get a delay controller, get the adjustable gain ones (forgot what they are called), you will like it more when you have different loads on the trailer.

6. I have 32" tires also, I wished I had gone to 4.10's...but I have the ax-15 not the aw4.

I think that's all I have for now, good luck.

I'm not sure how relevant that picture is to the hitch itself. If you scroll down a bit there's another pic with the same SKU beside it, and it's much more normal-looking. If you scroll down even further, you'll see reviews of hitches for Ram's and Fusions, and all kinds of irrelevant things. Silly way to organize your site IMO, but JCW has more marketing experience than I've been alive, so... :dunno:

Basically, a very long time ago (even before Al Gore invented the Internet, and that was before he invented global warming), JC Whitney stopped linking catalog numbers to specific applications. The catalog number only gets you to a part by brand and type, and when you order they take care of matching it to your specific vehicle based on the information you provide. It made it extremely difficult to orders parts for multiple vehicles in one order.

With the advent of the Internet, they likewise gave up on showing what the part you would be getting for your application looks like. Want to order a trailer hitch? They show you a picture of "A" trailer hitch. It might be the hitch for a Ford Explorer or a Chevy 1500 pickup, but that's the only photo you get to see.

It's  stupid, stupid system. I started buying stuff from JC Whitney when I first got my drivers license, in 1960. These days, I just can't be bothered trying to deal with them. Between Auto Zone and Advance Auto for routine stuff and Summit Racing for other things, JC Whitney just doesn't offer anything I can't live without.

After reading through this, glad my MJ came with a hitch on the arse end tied into the factory bumper already. Options, I likes my options. Be adding a front receiver hitch shortly as well.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

After reading through this, glad my MJ came with a hitch on the arse end tied into the factory bumper already. Options, I likes my options. Be adding a front receiver hitch shortly as well.

Front hitch is nice to have, I use mine every so often.  But not as much as I thought I would.  Still, very much worth having.

Front hitch is nice to have, I use mine every so often. But not as much as I thought I would. Still, very much worth having.

What do you use it for? I've seen a few XJ's around here with them and have been curious.

Mine used to be on my XJ, as a front recovery point ... And then I started using it to move my trailer about the driveway as well, handy as hell in my mind. Easier repositioning the trailer in a narrow driveway when you can see it as well. But, I'm somewhat weird that way.

Moving a trailer with a front hitch is super easy.  My plow truck was set up with one, since the plow attached to it, and I would use it if I needed to get the trailer in and out of the shop since it was way easier to tell if you had the trailer where you wanted it.

Then I destroyed my plow and built a new mount, so the front hitch isn't as useful now.

Is krustyballer still making hitches.  I really love mine.  Easy install and tough as nails.  Check the vendor forum.  He was selling hitch plates and whole hitches,  I got a full hitch shipped cross country for $300 ish, total, ready to bolt in (and the bolts came with it).  Might be more over the border.  Worth it if you plan to tow alot.

Is krustyballer still making hitches. I really love mine. Easy install and tough as nails. Check the vendor forum. He was selling hitch plates and whole hitches, I got a full hitch shipped cross country for $300 ish, total, ready to bolt in (and the bolts came with it). Might be more over the border. Worth it if you plan to tow alot.

I'm still making them (shipped 4 in the past 2 weeks)

We've talked a little. I think she's trying to find a local shop to build one with my plates. The exchange rate I think is what's a big deal here...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk