Stroker Questions

So I've been wanting to do something with my motor this summer. I was tossing the idea of a SBC swap but I don't think I'll do that anytime soon. I'm now wanting to do a stroker but to be honest I really don't know much about what's involved. Other then the rebuild and stroker kit I'm totally capable of doing all this though. What is involved? can I do this to a renix? I'd love to also clean up my engine bay and make it pretty. It just sounds fun to do all this

I'm also planning on getting my ax15 rebuilt cuadr my reverse synchro is complete shot. Maybe throw in a short throw shorter too.

And FYI on that site like this one and many others....you do not have to log in or even be a member to read the site....that site has a large FAQ pinned to the top as well as every question and answer you can possibly need....you would have to put the effort in to read it for it to work for you.. . :MJ 1: .  . :MJ 1: .

A forum to ask questions and you always have the ones who says read and it is other there. What is a forum for? I am sure almost every question has been asked about a MJ since last one made in 24 years ago. lol Some times I just read these things to bring back info and maybe another easy way found to do something. Stuff like that make people not ask any questions....

A forum to ask questions and you always have the ones who says read and it is other there. What is a forum for? I am sure almost every question has been asked about a MJ since last one made in 24 years ago. lol Some times I just read these things to bring back info and maybe another easy way found to do something. Stuff like that make people not ask any questions....

Fair enough. But the search function on Jeepstrokers seems to work better than on some other forums.

I have a stroker in my 88 MJ.  It's using the Renix wiring and sensors still, even though I built it from a different year.   What do you need to know?   Take out the old crank and rods, put in new for a basic one.   Take everything out of the block, get the machining done and put in all new for a high dollar one.   I assembled mine myself, with parts and machine work I had about $3500 into it, obviously not a cheap one, but it can be done cheaper.  I replaced just about everything with quality parts, including the ridiculously expensive fuel pressure regulator from Hesco.  With 35's and 4.56 gears I could roast the crap out of my tires if I tried.  And my mileage stayed about the same as when it was a stock motor.

This is true, but.... when you have people askin things like "what size tire can I fit on my MJ" well you get the idea. I'm all for helping, but I'm not going to tie your shoes for you.......(inside joke).

I have a stroker in my 88 MJ. It's using the Renix wiring and sensors still, even though I built it from a different year. What do you need to know? Take out the old crank and rods, put in new for a basic one. Take everything out of the block, get the machining done and put in all new for a high dollar one. I assembled mine myself, with parts and machine work I had about $3500 into it, obviously not a cheap one, but it can be done cheaper. I replaced just about everything with quality parts, including the ridiculously expensive fuel pressure regulator from Hesco. With 35's and 4.56 gears I could roast the crap out of my tires if I tried. And my mileage stayed about the same as when it was a stock motor.

Thanks that was exactly what I wanted

• 2 weeks later...

Dino has been the "go to guy" for stroker info for at least ten years, probably closer to fifteen.

It's virtually impossible to cover everything you need to know in one post or one thread. You get into permutations and combinations, such as do you use stock pistons with 258 rods, or do you use custom pistons with 4.0L rods? Do you deck the head or not? Do you enlarge the combustion chambers to correct for compression? Do you worry about quench height or not?

And that's just for starters.

My advice to anyone contemplating building a stroker is to allow at least six months (yes, I said "months") for research and study before even starting to firm up your plans.

258 rods?  No Way!  4.0 rods - YES

Quench is very important!  I will post a link to a David Vizard article later (need to find it again). Speaks about compression and quench.

Here it is:  http://www.hotrod.com/events/coverage/0311em-power-squeeze/

Custom pistons to get correct compression height (proper quench) and custom bowl size for correct compression.

So would something like this work? I'm wanting to get almost all new parts but then some stuff I'll just swap over from my motor like the intake manifold and such. All I need is the block and heads and another then that I'm pretty good right? This is probably a stupid question but I just saw this ad so I thought I'd ask haha

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/5491065393.html

So would something like this work? I'm wanting to get almost all new parts but then some stuff I'll just swap over from my motor like the intake manifold and such. All I need is the block and heads and another then that I'm pretty good right? This is probably a stupid question but I just saw this ad so I thought I'd ask haha

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/5491065393.html

Would it work? Depends on what you mean by "work." You'd be buying a block for $100. Seller says it has "supposedly" been gone through, which means somebody sprayed it with degreaser and a quick shot of ugly yellow Wal-Mart spray paint.

To be accurate....I believe it is Ugly green paint ....For the original poster to be accurate the main purchase for a Stroker would be a crank.....In theory if you added the correct crank to your existing motor....it would be a stroker....   

To be accurate....I believe it is Ugly green paint ....For the original poster to be accurate the main purchase for a Stroker would be a crank.....In theory if you added the correct crank to your existing motor....it would be a stroker....

No. The link is to an ad for a Renix 4.0L block. To make that into a stoker, he'll still need to source a 258 crank, plus rods and pistons.

No. The link is to an ad for a Renix 4.0L block. To make that into a stoker, he'll still need to source a 258 crank, plus rods and pistons.

That's kinda what I want to do. I'm gonna go through everything and slowly over a year or so build this thing. I just thought this might be a good pace to start. I want to do everything right and go all new on this bad boy. If I do do that, would something like this be a good idea to get? Or should I go pull a motor from a junkyard or something? Thanks for the help!