Found replacement air charge temperature sensor or IAT

So I have been searching for a replacement IAT or air charge temperature sensor, part number 33002382.

I found one!  The original replacement TomCo part number for 33002382 was 12120.  I talked with TomCo and they have another sensor, same threads for our intake manifold, same ohm readings, but just different connector.

The replacement you want is TomCo 12134.

You can call them and get one ordered up.

http://www.tomco-inc.com/

Call 314-646-5300, don't worry about the extension, just go to sales and order 12134.

20160306_164806.jpg

You will notice it's the same type of sensor as the original one, with the element in the middle to get air temperature.

20160306_164823.jpg

The only issue is the connector is different.  You simply need to order up a new Delphi Weatherpack connector like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051PFA5O

That is just a 2 pin weatherpack connector for a 16 gauge wire.

The new TomCo comes with a connector and a wire.  You will want to cut the wires to 6.5 inches like below:

20160306_165057.jpg

Then put on your new female weatherpack connectors.  You will need a crimp tool or make it work with some pliers, crimp tool will work much better though.

20160306_165319.jpg

The connector has a label on the back, an A and a B, make sure you stick the wires in the correct slots in the weatherpack connector, B goes to B and A goes to A.

Here is the finished connector.

20160306_172559.jpg

Then get it installed on the vehicle.  You can remove the old one with a 19mm wrench.  Be careful, it can break.  I would also add some teflon tape to the sensor.

20160306_172648.jpg

It seems to work fine.  I wanted to get TomCo to email me the exact ohm specifications so we could see and compare those to our FSM, but they say they match 12120, which was the replacement for the 33002382, so we should be good.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It cost me about $60 plus I believe $10 shipping.  It seems to fit and run as it should.  I had one that would give correct readings sometimes and other times not, I could tell with my MT2500 scanner.  I hooked this up and it's running pretty smooth.  I have yet to hook the MT2500 back up, but took it for a test drive and all seemed fine.

I hope it's not just an HO replacement unit.  I talked to the tech at Tomco and he says the number very closely match the numbers from the Tomco 12120, which was the sensor for the Renix era's jeeps they do not make anymore.  I asked them to send me the values in an email today, we will see.  They said this 12134 closely matched the numbers for 12120, just needed a new end attached to it in order to work like the 12120, we will see.

The values from the Renix era, I believe, are the ones below...

IATandCTSvalues-1.jpg

Looks good. The sensor looks like the one in my 1991. 

On a side note: A performance trick is to relocate the sensor to a cooler location. I moved mine, and mounted it on the air box. 

I tried that and my mileage went in the tank - makes the engine run richer. Wasn't much of a performance gain either.........

I made an update to the post, the back of the connector from Tomco has a label on the back of it, and A and a B, you need to make sure to match that on the weatherpack connector, A goes to A and B goes to B.  I had it correct by luck.

I made an update to the post, the back of the connector from Tomco has a label on the back of it, and A and a B, you need to make sure to match that on the weatherpack connector, A goes to A and B goes to B.  I had it correct by luck.

You had a 50-50 shot.   :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, I've been looking for a replacement myself :thumbsup: . BTW just curious but are the rubber hoses that are capped off with the white plugs in your pic for the gas tank EVAP? just curious thanks.

Thanks for the info, I've been looking for a replacement myself :thumbsup: . BTW just curious but are the rubber hoses that are capped off with the white plugs in your pic for the gas tank EVAP? just curious thanks.

Breather tubes for Axle and Trans. 

This is how I did mine, front axle, transmission and T-Case. The rear axle has a filter behind the tail light.

Image Not Found

Yes, they modified an existing sensor they had to match the renix ranges, which is why you have to call with that part number and it's not carried in stores. I emailed for exact ranges and attached response, it matches renix range almost exact, the HO one doesn't come close.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this because I believe I have found a much easier solution.  I have not tried it, but all the info I could find indicates that it is either the same, or really close to the Renix sensor.  It's probably closer than the custom one in this thread, or as close as any jobber version of these sensors is VS an OEM one.

The values from the Renix era, I believe, are the ones below...

IATandCTSvalues-1.jpg

GM TBI/early EFI sensor values:

ctsmatchartpp3.jpg

http://gafieroclub.org/pics/pip/ctsmatchartpp3.jpg

(Not sure if that will load, I would just photobucket it but I am on some useless hotel internet that blocks photobucket)

Anyways, they're the same.  You will need to do the same pigtail mod.  However, this sensor can be found pretty much anywhere and is cheap.  If I have time I will pick one up and see if I can verify that it works.