A-man930

Parking brake pedal refurb.

Any idea where I can get the longer return spring that attaches where the cable connects to the pawl? Mine has gone awol and I cannot find a part number in the parts book. 

I'd take a good long look at a hardware store and/or local old-school parts house.  No advice aside from that.  Good luck!

Great writeup, thanks!

Over the years I've broken several parking brake release cables. They seem to fray at the far end, it doesn't look like there are any sharp edges, I think just repeated use causes them to fail.

I've started pressing down on the pedal before pulling the release. When I don't do this, there is quite a bit more  force required to release the parking brake. When I press down on the pedal, the release pulls very very easily.

I'm guessing it'll be hard to get replacements for the release cable, so I'm hoping this one will last a while!

Gene

I have the same problem on mine and I do the same thing (relieve the tension with the pedal) before I pull the release.  The local dealer said the cable isn't available.  

On 10/17/2015 at 2:35 PM, cruiser54 said:

And?

All I did was change the little spring to fix mine.......

8d692d6f7c7d997921ede69d084f5583.jpg

I just replaced the spring on mine.  Now the pedal doesn't bounce back when I push it down.  

20 hours ago, 87MJTIM said:

I just replaced the spring on mine.  Now the pedal doesn't bounce back when I push it down.  

You know what?

That's probably all I needed to do.