New shocks??

I have a 1988 Sportruck in very nice, very original condition, with only 80,000 miles. It runs great, but the suspension seems a little harsh. I think it probably has the original shocks. My question is, since the shocks are 27 years old, should I go ahead and replace them, or is mileage more important than age? Also, would appreciate recommendations on replacement shocks--truck is not lifted and have no plans other than to keep the truck basically stock.  

Thanks!

Age or mileage, which comes first basically.

I have Bilstein shocks on mine and I love them.  I used the same on my Cherokee and that was good too.  They are expensive though so I am curious if anyone else has cheaper recommendations.

I have Bilsteins F&R on my '90 heavy ton, and they are pretty stiff, but I like 'em that way. I think you should be happy with the Monroes, and should notice quite a difference if you're really riding on the original shocks.

What you DON'T want (IMHO) are KYB shocks. Years ago, my brother talked me into buying a set for my '88 Cherokee. They were AWFUL. They were very harsh over pavement cracks and small bumps, yet the provided almost no control over larger bumps. I took them off and replaced them with a set of Monroes (a series since discontinued, and replaced by the Sensa-Trac) that are infinitely better. The 2001 Cherokee I bought used three years ago came to me with KYBs in the front. Same thing. I finally got around to wrestling with the rusted-in OEM shocks in the rear, and replaced everything with a set of Rancho RS5000s all around. The Ranchos were given to me by a friend who had lifted his XJ. They are pretty firm, but they are are a huge improvement over the KYBs.

OME get rave reviews, but they're pricey. I'm partial to Monroes, with Gabriel being a close second. In Monroe, I like the Gas-Magnum line. The Reflex line is their premium series and should be very good, but I've never found the money to spend on them. I avoid the Sensa-Trac line because of the "groove tube" feature. It's good at stock height, but if you change the ride height at all (such as a budget boost) the piston isn't centered in the grooved section of the bore, and the ride and handling are adversely affected.

In Gabriel, I again lean toward the Ultra series as being an economical shock that rides well and works well. These have a 1-3/8" bore, which is the minimum I think should be accepted in any shock. Worth a look also are the LTV (1-5/8" bore) and the MaxControl (1-13/16" bore) series.

I had Monroe ReFlex shocks on my Cummins and they rode great. For about a month before they blew out. I warrantied them and the new ones let go after two months. While the lifetime warranty was great I just don't see me spending a couple hours every couple months to change shocks and rotate the cupped tires. I will never run another Monroe shock ever again.

Leaf springs do wear out with use (any spring does) but if the truck hasn't been used heavily to haul stuff it shouldn't be a concern. For what it's worth I have a set of Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks on my truck and I have no complaints after 5,000 miles.

For what it's worth I have a set of Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks on my truck and I have no complaints after 5,000 miles.

Give them a few more miles. I put four new Sensa-Trac shocks on my truck after I first got it to replace the original stock shocks. After about 5K miles two of the four were blown out; one front and one rear. The other two still had some valve pressure but were on the way out too. They are okay if you are flipping a vehicle and don't want to spend any $$, but for longevity they are junk.

Well, crap. They were on the cheap side at least (and a massive improvement over what was on there) and at the time I thought Monroe were good shocks. Next shock change I'll go with OME for sure then.

They are okay if you are flipping a vehicle and don't want to spend any $$, but for longevity they are junk.

The set in my '88 Cherokee have well over 100,000 miles on them. No problems so far ...

If the shocks are original, you should absolutely replace them. The Bilstein 5100s are waaaaay too stiff for factory suspension IMHO. Had them on my 88 and hated them. I have a new set of cheapo Monroes to put on my 91.

I have a set of these in the box: Monroe 31094.

You can get the 5100's with different valving. I have 5125's in the rear and 5150's up front with 6" of lift and I would say it rides almost as good as stock.

That I don't recall, I maybe I'm wrong and its the 5125's that tell you the valving, since they aren't vehicle specific.

I have them in the rear and they ride very well, much better than the Gabriel's I originally used.