Comanche Espcial Editio 1988 - $14900 (Street MJ #51)

Interesting! It's a 88 and Street Comanches are all 87. The glove box placard says Al Unser, again not SC ,and misspells Comanche with two Ms. The tonneau cover should be velcro, not snaps. It's a nice looking truck but a few things are off in a weird way.

Don, I might be wrong but my concerns about the truck being a true Street Comanche are well placed. If the placard says Al Unser Street Commanche 51 of 100 then there should be 99 others that say the same thing. The only SC placards I've seen look like this:

Agree Remi. Especially when the brass plate is mispelled and completely different. It looks like a local engraving shop product. Good looking truck though.

I sent this post url to the owner of the Street Comanche site - maybe he'll respond when he sees it.

00J0J_6IucYCrY94S_600x450.jpg

Hey guys I've called him and texted him multiple times. If he replies then I'm going to take #59 down to him (he's near me) and do direct comparisons I'll take pics as well. Also the owner of the Comanche registry is saying that the person who owns that might know of who owns #'s 50-52 so I'll get more info on that as well. He mentioned these in Buick forums like 6 years back I've been trying to contact him awhile. I'll update soon

Okay I got ahold of the seller, it's the sister in law of the owner and I asked her first off why the dash plaque was not original and she said no it is. Which doesn't make sense because as all of you know they were all made consecutively in California all in English. After she didn't know that I asked why it was listed as an 88 and she said "it's a special edition and only 100 were made in this year". I then revealed I own number 59 and they were only made in 87 she immediately said "Oh I'm sorry I have to go, here's my brother in laws number" I called the brother in law and it was a business number. So I'll try again during normal business hours tomarrow for further information. I briefly asked about the rims like someone had mentioned and she didn't have much to say. So I'll call again tomorrow for an update.

I got ahold of the owner. I can't tell if it's legit or not. He claims he bought it from the dealership with the plaque the way it is. He goes onto tell me that there were a few made in every state and there were approxamitely three in california that were made in 1988 #'s 50-52. Once again, this is where I tell him I own #59. Then he asks what state I got it from and I don't know who knows the history of my truck but it has been in San Diego for a great amouint of time and I am certain it was in CA the entire time. I explain this to him and say that Jeep/AMC never released these trucks outside of 1987 and most likely not in another language. But, I am not 100 percent sure I am correct about that(it just makes the most sense for them all to be english). At this point I didnt know what else to ask other than if he knows of any other "Street" comanches around and he said his dad bought #50 and his brother had #52. But, both of those were apparently repossesed for lack of payments soon after they bought them. To me, these stories are not adding up or making sense so I if anoyone wants to investigate further about these trucks just PM me for the numbers of the owner(s). 

Hey Chandler, I don't think there's another language involved. I think the seller has spelling issues. I just have to question the authenticity of the 1-100 Al Unser Comanches mostly due to the fact that the members here on CC are basically EXPERTS on anything Comanche related and no one has heard of this series of 88 Comanches until now. I suppose it's possible but not very probable.

I wasn't sure about the language either. He said that "Al Unser" was the way it came and I asked what that meant or why it was there and that's when he explained the few trucks build in every state and that the few that were built/sold in California were 50,51, and 52. I'm not saying I believe it's another sort of branch of comanche, he was saying that. I'm not questioning the experts here in anyway, everyone here has atleast one thing to teach me. But it seems nobody else is communicating to this guy so I took charge, also Jeepnut asked me to track this guy down if i could and so I did.

Hi all.

It's been a while since I was on the forums but have been in touch with a couple of you by Email.

Had a couple of thoughts about #51....

Someone mentioned the wheels somewhere... the wheels are the original Centerline Racing split rim wheels just like the original ones that came on my truck from Don-A-Vee.

They suck.  I "cornered" a lot in the hills above Boulder Creek on my way to Palo Alto regularly.  Lord! that truck was sticky.

But the consequence of high lateral forces was that those damned Centerlines wouldn't keep air.  I pulled the wheels and sealed the seams more than once, but they always leaked down.  Glad to be rid of them.

The dash plaque... sad.... caution, my opinion follows:

IF all the plates WERE originally mounted by the Archer Brothers during modification (and I'm not sure we know that) then we could assume that they would have all been exactly the same.  But Archer COULD have made plates to dealership spec, although I can't imagine THEM letting something like the misspelling slide. 

Just doesn't sound like something a team that's used to tight tolerances and quality control in everything they do would let get by them.

OR the dealerhip either replaced the originally mounted Archer plate or when they made their plate locally, decided they could capitalize on the Unser name and in their zeal to feed their egos and line their pockets, didn't bother to ensure the thing was correct before slapping Unser's name on the dash proudly.

OR the PO replaced the originally mounted plate customized to their liking but failed at spelling and/or proofreading in the formative years of their life....

But I don't thinkg the PO replaced it.  The original post I found on the Buick form was a 3rd party person relating a story he'd heard from an acquaintence some time previous about this "Al Unser" street comanche.  So this story that HE heard was probably... I'm guessing around 8-10yr old info.  If the current owner was trying to fleece someone with a faked or modified plate, we wouldn't have this snippet of history that's 10yrs old.  I'm thinking that the original owner bought it that way.

And WHY after all these years, has no one has corrected it.  They're really just engraved plates, easily reproduced.
The only reason I could see that the PO WOULDn't replace it is that it came to him from the dealership that way and he wanted to leave it original.

And considering the use of Al Unser's name.... I don't see the Archer Brothers, Walter Voss, or Chrysler using Al Unser's name without some paperwork involved.

So what are we left with as options or motivations for this gold plated anomoly?

Option #1 - carelessness by a professional racing team.

Option #2 - greed by a car dealer

Option #3 - personal pride

I'm leaning toward it being a screwed up dealer installed plate.

As for the Unser name.... easy to explain in that scenario. 

Roger Penske has or had dealerships forever all over California.... guess who used to be a star Penske driver back in the 80's?...
And Penske likely had rights to the Al Unser name as the race team owner...

Remember that line above?...capitalize on the Unser name and in their zeal to feed their egos and line their pockets...

Always follow the money.

Perhaps all the plates were dealer installed?  Only one of the Archer Racing team folks could ever tell us.
I personally couldn't tolerate the misspelling and would have it replaced with identical lettering but correctly spelled at the VERY least.

Unlike money, the misspelling on THIS plate isn't going to make this MJ worth stupid money THAT's for sure.

Only people can do that.

Sure hope you can track down #50 & #52 Chris!

And thanks for the follow up on #51!

Hi all.

It's been a while since I was on the forums but have been in touch with a couple of you by Email.

Had a couple of thoughts about #51....

Someone mentioned the wheels somewhere... the wheels are the original Centerline Racing split rim wheels just like the original ones that came on my truck from Don-A-Vee.

They suck.  I "cornered" a lot in the hills above Boulder Creek on my way to Palo Alto regularly.  Lord! that truck was sticky.

But the consequence of high lateral forces was that those damned Centerlines wouldn't keep air.  I pulled the wheels and sealed the seams more than once, but they always leaked down.  Glad to be rid of them.

The dash plaque... sad.... caution, my opinion follows:

IF all the plates WERE originally mounted by the Archer Brothers during modification (and I'm not sure we know that) then we could assume that they would have all been exactly the same.  But Archer COULD have made plates to dealership spec, although I can't imagine THEM letting something like the misspelling slide. 

Just doesn't sound like something a team that's used to tight tolerances and quality control in everything they do would let get by them.

OR the dealerhip either replaced the originally mounted Archer plate or when they made their plate locally, decided they could capitalize on the Unser name and in their zeal to feed their egos and line their pockets, didn't bother to ensure the thing was correct before slapping Unser's name on the dash proudly.

OR the PO replaced the originally mounted plate customized to their liking but failed at spelling and/or proofreading in the formative years of their life....

But I don't thinkg the PO replaced it.  The original post I found on the Buick form was a 3rd party person relating a story he'd heard from an acquaintence some time previous about this "Al Unser" street comanche.  So this story that HE heard was probably... I'm guessing around 8-10yr old info.  If the current owner was trying to fleece someone with a faked or modified plate, we wouldn't have this snippet of history that's 10yrs old.  I'm thinking that the original owner bought it that way.

And WHY after all these years, has no one has corrected it.  They're really just engraved plates, easily reproduced.

The only reason I could see that the PO WOULDn't replace it is that it came to him from the dealership that way and he wanted to leave it original.

And considering the use of Al Unser's name.... I don't see the Archer Brothers, Walter Voss, or Chrysler using Al Unser's name without some paperwork involved.

So what are we left with as options or motivations for this gold plated anomoly?

Option #1 - carelessness by a professional racing team.

Option #2 - greed by a car dealer

Option #3 - personal pride

I'm leaning toward it being a screwed up dealer installed plate.

As for the Unser name.... easy to explain in that scenario. 

Roger Penske has or had dealerships forever all over California.... guess who used to be a star Penske driver back in the 80's?...

And Penske likely had rights to the Al Unser name as the race team owner...

Remember that line above?...capitalize on the Unser name and in their zeal to feed their egos and line their pockets...

Always follow the money.

Perhaps all the plates were dealer installed?  Only one of the Archer Racing team folks could ever tell us.

I personally couldn't tolerate the misspelling and would have it replaced with identical lettering but correctly spelled at the VERY least.

Unlike money, the misspelling on THIS plate isn't going to make this MJ worth stupid money THAT's for sure.

Only people can do that.

Sure hope you can track down #50 & #52 Chris!

And thanks for the follow up on #51!

Yeah, no problem. I'll be keeping an ear out for SC #50 and #52. With all that you said you are pretty confident that it is a legit Street Comanche and just some varying differences? Thanks for the update!

I am.  Mainly just because the pieces all really fit.

The fact that it has MANUAL windows, no  power door locks, mine was even a radio delete, no air all fit the scenario for these trucks.

These were supposedly all VERY base model trucks in terms of what ChryCo sent out the door.  I can't remember if John Archer told me this or where else I might have gotten it, but the thing that made the Street Comanche "special" as far as Chrysler was concerned, was that you could not order the 5speed 4.0l with the bucket seats, etc and a short bed.  For a dealership to get a manual 5speed WITH the 6cyl truck it was only available with the long bed OTHER than for these special orders for Archer.

But part of the missing story is that we don't really know if:

dealers contacted Archer to say "do this and this, but not this on 4 street comanches and send them to us".

OR if the Archers made it known in the dealership community that these were available and ordered the base truck from ChryCo themselves and built it to a basic spec, then shipped them to dealers on request....

OR if ChryCo just sent a few a month to Archer...

OR if the dealers ordered from ChryCo then had delivered to Archer....

What IS clear is that they are not all identical.  Mine has stainless etched panels on the sides that say Comanche and it has a Webasto sunroof.

So dealerships obviously made changes to the trucks in many cases to suit their whims.

We don't really know the details there.

But with those wheels, the ground effects, the manual windows, the grille, 6cyl, 5speed, short bed, and the Penske / Unser history, it seems like the real deal to me.

As for the question of it being an '88, seems simple to sort out.  What's the VIN?   :)

Does seem odd that the State of California would have titled an 87 truck as an 88.... but I'm no DMV expert.

Gonna try to get some time to call the owner this week.  Maybe I can get him to cough up the VIN.  If it is an '88, then we've learned something.

I should maybe try to find the original owner of mine.  Some guy in San Gabriel was the original owner.  I'm #2....

Would be cool if someone knew a DMV person that could help us sort out if it's at all possible to find out via a title search who the ORIGINAL title holder was.  Though I do know that in some places, the dealership doesn't even show up when you look back at all the documents.

But it seems like SOMEone should be able to help us get to the original dealership that sold the truck.

I don't know if mine came originally from Don-A-Vee Jeep or was just traded in there.

Ok I talked to the owner of #51 tonight. Very nice guy.  Original owner!

The ad is in error, he confirmed it is a 1987 as we knew, and he knows that as well.

When I asked him about the dash plaque and my theory he said he bought the truck brand new (for about $18k!) in Kearny Mesa.

He wasn't sure if it was a Penske group dealer, but says the dealership is still there.

I found later that Rancho Chrysler Jeep is in the Kearny Mesa district.  (Balboa Ave.)

There was also some story about the dash plate.  If I understood correctly it may have been missing from the dealership.  He seemed to think the original plates were actually gold plated and something about the plate came up missing and had to be replaced... He's Latino and I'm not good with accents, so may not be relating it exactly right, but it was something to that effect.  I do not think those plates are actually gold plated, but what do I know...

Interestingly ALSO nearby is a Penske auto group company at 4910 Kearny Mesa Rd.

But it appears to be some kind of broker.  http://www.penskesandiego.com/our-specials.aspx

Seems to sell everything BUT MoPars.  Maybe they've changed since the 80s?...

Maybe  1998xjome  could visit Rancho and see if he can find out any "history" on the dealership as it relates to the mid-80's.

I may call them up at some point and see if I can find the oldest guy on the property to talk to.

The owner had to cut the conversation short, Friday night obligations, and I readily admitted from the get-go that I wasn't a buyer, just interested as a historian.  Didn't get to ask him about the VIN to see if he'd give it up

Also found another interesting link digging around for the dealership though:  http://law.justia.com/cases/california/court-of-appeal/3d/155/381.html

Devlin v. Kearny Mesa Amc/Jeep/Renault, Inc. (1984)

It doesn't report the address of the defendant, but the scam they worked on these poor folks certainly would lend one to believe they were a typically unscrupulous dealership.  Far too common.  But it DOES make one wonder what other kinds of ripoffs they did to others.

I suppose any kind one can think of.  Perhaps this dealership BECAME Rancho following the loss in THAT lawsuit.

Anyway he loves this truck and has asked a high price, he's aware.  Just to see if there is any interest.

I think he's wrong about the value of it, but he honestly doesn't care if it sells or not.  He is not in any hurry to get rid of it.

It's only got 60+k miles on it.  He drives it to the beach and down to Mexico once in a while and gets a LOT of attention obviously every time he brings it out.  Said he's seen one or two others around San Diego & surrrounds.

But having talked to him and with the images of the truck, it seems a legit Street.

I asked him about #50 or #52 and he did have a story.  Something to do with someone else (family) that he went to the dealer with.  The relative was wanting to buy a black Street they had there, but somehow it didn't work out.  But that's when he saw this red one and bought it himself.  I believe he said the black truck was #17.  I've seen a black one and at least 1 white one as well as a red one in "northern" California when I lived in Santa Cruz county.  I saw a white one more than once, in different areas of Silicon Valley & hills above, but couldn't be sure it was the same truck or another one.  Never was in a position to try and catch up to any of them to chat.

I was REALLY glad to hear that he had no intention of selling it to anyone who would break it up.  He had someone call about it and said something about big tires and lifting and the owner told him he wouldn't sell to him.  Gotta like that!

I believe he'll have the truck for a while at that price, but gave him my email and told him that if he would send me an email, I'd send him some links to the registry site and the club site.  And to PLEASE let me know if he ever sells it... he said he would.  He seems really to be really proud of it and keeps it garaged.  It may be one of the most pristine ORIGINAL examples still left.  Even mine's not dealerfloor original. 

(DANG it.. I forgot to ask him about the seats.  Anyone else think those look like leathers out of a ZJ?

He didn't seem to know the poster from the Buick list (whom I have also talked to via Email) at all.

When I mentioned his name, he said he didn't know him.

That poster must know someone else in this gentleman's family, not him specifically.

I'll be thanking him too for his post which turned all this on.

My weekend to work... 0800-2000 Saturday AND Sunday.... so gotta bail out.

A great weekend to all!

Rancho has been around for quite a number of years.  Their old location on Clairemont Mesa Blvd is now a Mossy Nissan Store.  Rancho also sells VW in just the last year or so.   FYI, Penske has a whole lot of franchise in the area.  Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet is next door to Rancho.

Ahhh then there it is.

Kearny Mesa AMC/Jeep/Renault was located at 8118 Clairemont Mesa back in the '80s.

Guess where Mossy Nissan is located...

And then there are the Jeep Racing posters that are here on the site with guess who at the wheel...

A couple more tibits that lend credence to the info that the owner passed along.

However, from Wikipedia,  "The base price of the two-wheel drive model was $7,049..."

And the dealership got $18k+ from this guy for the Street Comanche brand new...?

Yeah, it would be more $$ but x2.5?  Insane.

Hey that brings up another question that we'll never have the answer to....

I wonder how much money the Archer team made on each of those conversions?

No wonder I hate car dealerships....blah blah blah about if the guy was stupid enough....

Karma has a way of catching up to people.... maybe that's why at 8118 Clairemont Mesa Blvd they now sell Nissans instead of Jeeps.

meh... Japanese, Italian... what difference does it make anyway.  I'm sure Penske could care less.  At $1.36BILLION in net worth, he's quite comfortable and those dealerships are only assets in his ledger.

But just because you CAN rip somebody off doesn't mean it's a good thing to do.

I hope the owner just keeps it and continues to enjoy it.  At $15k I think that's a given.  ;)

But I've been wrong before.

Also found this link that was kind of interesting.

http://www.pricehub.com/price/jeep/comanche--2

They show a range of trucks and prices WITH VINS!

Anyone see YOURS in the list?  :eek:

Also showing an MJ with a flatbed on the back.... project anyone?

Ahhh then there it is.

Kearny Mesa AMC/Jeep/Renault was located at 8118 Clairemont Mesa back in the '80s.

Guess where Mossy Nissan is located...

And then there are the Jeep Racing posters that are here on the site with guess who at the wheel...

A couple more tibits that lend credence to the info that the owner passed along.

However, from Wikipedia,  "The base price of the two-wheel drive model was $7,049..."

And the dealership got $18k+ from this guy for the Street Comanche brand new...?

Yeah, it would be more $$ but x2.5?  Insane.

Hey that brings up another question that we'll never have the answer to....

I wonder how much money the Archer team made on each of those conversions?

No wonder I hate car dealerships....blah blah blah about if the guy was stupid enough....

Karma has a way of catching up to people.... maybe that's why at 8118 Clairemont Mesa Blvd they now sell Nissans instead of Jeeps.

meh... Japanese, Italian... what difference does it make anyway.  I'm sure Penske could care less.  At $1.36BILLION in net worth, he's quite comfortable and those dealerships are only assets in his ledger.

But just because you CAN rip somebody off doesn't mean it's a good thing to do.

I hope the owner just keeps it and continues to enjoy it.  At $15k I think that's a given.  ;)

But I've been wrong before.

Also found this link that was kind of interesting.

http://www.pricehub.com/price/jeep/comanche--2

They show a range of trucks and prices WITH VINS!

Anyone see YOURS in the list?  :eek:

Also showing an MJ with a flatbed on the back.... project anyone?

If you click on the link you posted. Then go to the 1988 tab. THe mj isted with 100,000 miles is this one

http://classiccarslist.com/jeep/29416-1988-jeep-comanche-pioneer-standard-cab-pickup-2-door-4bt-cummins-diesel.html

I was able to track it down via VIN. it has a 4BT!!!!!

Ok I talked to the owner of #51 tonight. Very nice guy.  Original owner!

The ad is in error, he confirmed it is a 1987 as we knew, and he knows that as well.

When I asked him about the dash plaque and my theory he said he bought the truck brand new (for about $18k!) in Kearny Mesa.

He wasn't sure if it was a Penske group dealer, but says the dealership is still there.

I found later that Rancho Chrysler Jeep is in the Kearny Mesa district.  (Balboa Ave.)

There was also some story about the dash plate.  If I understood correctly it may have been missing from the dealership.  He seemed to think the original plates were actually gold plated and something about the plate came up missing and had to be replaced... He's Latino and I'm not good with accents, so may not be relating it exactly right, but it was something to that effect.  I do not think those plates are actually gold plated, but what do I know...

Interestingly ALSO nearby is a Penske auto group company at 4910 Kearny Mesa Rd.

But it appears to be some kind of broker.  http://www.penskesandiego.com/our-specials.aspx

Seems to sell everything BUT MoPars.  Maybe they've changed since the 80s?...

Maybe  1998xjome  could visit Rancho and see if he can find out any "history" on the dealership as it relates to the mid-80's.

I may call them up at some point and see if I can find the oldest guy on the property to talk to.

The owner had to cut the conversation short, Friday night obligations, and I readily admitted from the get-go that I wasn't a buyer, just interested as a historian.  Didn't get to ask him about the VIN to see if he'd give it up

Also found another interesting link digging around for the dealership though:  http://law.justia.com/cases/california/court-of-appeal/3d/155/381.html

Devlin v. Kearny Mesa Amc/Jeep/Renault, Inc. (1984)

It doesn't report the address of the defendant, but the scam they worked on these poor folks certainly would lend one to believe they were a typically unscrupulous dealership.  Far too common.  But it DOES make one wonder what other kinds of ripoffs they did to others.

I suppose any kind one can think of.  Perhaps this dealership BECAME Rancho following the loss in THAT lawsuit.

Anyway he loves this truck and has asked a high price, he's aware.  Just to see if there is any interest.

I think he's wrong about the value of it, but he honestly doesn't care if it sells or not.  He is not in any hurry to get rid of it.

It's only got 60+k miles on it.  He drives it to the beach and down to Mexico once in a while and gets a LOT of attention obviously every time he brings it out.  Said he's seen one or two others around San Diego & surrrounds.

But having talked to him and with the images of the truck, it seems a legit Street.

I asked him about #50 or #52 and he did have a story.  Something to do with someone else (family) that he went to the dealer with.  The relative was wanting to buy a black Street they had there, but somehow it didn't work out.  But that's when he saw this red one and bought it himself.  I believe he said the black truck was #17.  I've seen a black one and at least 1 white one as well as a red one in "northern" California when I lived in Santa Cruz county.  I saw a white one more than once, in different areas of Silicon Valley & hills above, but couldn't be sure it was the same truck or another one.  Never was in a position to try and catch up to any of them to chat.

I was REALLY glad to hear that he had no intention of selling it to anyone who would break it up.  He had someone call about it and said something about big tires and lifting and the owner told him he wouldn't sell to him.  Gotta like that!

I believe he'll have the truck for a while at that price, but gave him my email and told him that if he would send me an email, I'd send him some links to the registry site and the club site.  And to PLEASE let me know if he ever sells it... he said he would.  He seems really to be really proud of it and keeps it garaged.  It may be one of the most pristine ORIGINAL examples still left.  Even mine's not dealerfloor original. 

(DANG it.. I forgot to ask him about the seats.  Anyone else think those look like leathers out of a ZJ?

He didn't seem to know the poster from the Buick list (whom I have also talked to via Email) at all.

When I mentioned his name, he said he didn't know him.

That poster must know someone else in this gentleman's family, not him specifically.

I'll be thanking him too for his post which turned all this on.

My weekend to work... 0800-2000 Saturday AND Sunday.... so gotta bail out.

A great weekend to all!

It seems you have found the info you needed. If you are looking for more info I will gladly go into the dealership and ask around if I find anyone. Thanks for the update!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...