vac, valves, carb, i don't know anymore

And see, here is my main issue, i only have a part time job and my last paycheck was 480 after taxes, i don't have enough fot a donor or a rebuilt, or to slap new parts on an engine, i gotta use what i got and get another junkyard engine, its all i can afford right now, my MJ is my daily driver and to be down this long is bad for me,

If down time has to be minimized, you need the easiest, fastest swap or conversion you can find. That means that a 4.3L V6 is NOT a candidate. It was never used in the XJ/MJ. It's a completely different block (essentially a shortened small-block V8) that will require fabricating motor mounts, different transmission and/or adapters, different fuel delivery system -- it's as much work as doing a Chevy V8. For what it's worth, in the early days of NAXJA another member who lives about 5 miles from me was driving an 86 XJ with a 4.3L V6. I asked him if he thought it was a good conversion. He rolled his eyes and said "Never again!"

Even a 3.1L or 3.4L GM V6 will require some work. You would have to rebalance your flywheel to use with those engines, and that means a machine shop bill.

Now -- Pay attention to what we write and don't read what you want to read. The Jeep 2.5L is NOT -- I repeat NOT -- the GM Iron Duke 2.5L engine. You do NOT want a GM 2.5L engine. You need a Jeep/AMC 2.5L out of a Cherokee, Comanche, Wrangler, or Dodge Dakota. That engine was used in the MJ, even the '86, so physically it will bolt in with no adapters and no custom mounts. It will work with your transmission with no adapters -- the bell housing bolt pattern is the same. As I posted above, the oldest version (only in XJs) used a carburetor. Your best choice would be the MPFI engine, but that would mean a bit more work because you'll also have to get the engine room wiring harness and ECU to run it.

Back in the late 1990s, Jeep was selling a MPFI conversion for the 4.2L Wrangler I6 engine, which came from the factory with a carburetor. The conversion kit was basically the MPFI setup and engine room harness from the newer, 1994 Wrangler with the 4.0L engine. So ... if the controls for the 1994 4.0L can be split out and used as a stand-alone conversion, if you get a 2.5L with the wiring harness I see no reason you can't install that as a stand-alone.

If you are considering the mid-generation of the 2.5L with the throttle-body injection, consider that if the injector goes bad it sells for about $130. The newer MPFI models use the same injectors as the 4.0L engines of the same years.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And see, here is my main issue, i only have a part time job and my last paycheck was 480 after taxes, i don't have enough fot a donor or a rebuilt, or to slap new parts on an engine, i gotta use what i got and get another junkyard engine, its all i can afford right now, my MJ is my daily driver and to be down this long is bad for me,

If down time has to be minimized, you need the easiest, fastest swap or conversion you can find. That means that a 4.3L V6 is NOT a candidate. It was never used in the XJ/MJ. It's a completely different block (essentially a shortened small-block V8) that will require fabricating motor mounts, different transmission and/or adapters, different fuel delivery system -- it's as much work as doing a Chevy V8. For what it's worth, in the early days of NAXJA another member who lives about 5 miles from me was driving an 86 XJ with a 4.3L V6. I asked him if he thought it was a good conversion. He rolled his eyes and said "Never again!"

Even a 3.1L or 3.4L GM V6 will require some work. You would have to rebalance your flywheel to use with those engines, and that means a machine shop bill.

Now -- Pay attention to what we write and don't read what you want to read. The Jeep 2.5L is NOT -- I repeat NOT -- the GM Iron Duke 2.5L engine. You do NOT want a GM 2.5L engine. You need a Jeep/AMC 2.5L out of a Cherokee, Comanche, Wrangler, or Dodge Dakota. That engine was used in the MJ, even the '86, so physically it will bolt in with no adapters and no custom mounts. It will work with your transmission with no adapters -- the bell housing bolt pattern is the same. As I posted above, the oldest version (only in XJs) used a carburetor. Your best choice would be the MPFI engine, but that would mean a bit more work because you'll also have to get the engine room wiring harness and ECU to run it.

Back in the late 1990s, Jeep was selling a MPFI conversion for the 4.2L Wrangler I6 engine, which came from the factory with a carburetor. The conversion kit was basically the MPFI setup and engine room harness from the newer, 1994 Wrangler with the 4.0L engine. So ... if the controls for the 1994 4.0L can be split out and used as a stand-alone conversion, if you get a 2.5L with the wiring harness I see no reason you can't install that as a stand-alone.

If you are considering the mid-generation of the 2.5L with the throttle-body injection, consider that if the injector goes bad it sells for about $130. The newer MPFI models use the same injectors as the 4.0L engines of the same years.

ok, so the 3.1 and 3.4 will need my flywheel balanced. 2.8 just slaps in no questions asked. but the 2.5 will fit but i'll have to go with the wiring harness and MPFI route, how bout an old dodge 1.8 carbed? i actually saw one out at picknpull yesterday,

Redwolf

ok, so the 3.1 and 3.4 will need my flywheel balanced. 2.8 just slaps in no questions asked. but the 2.5 will fit but i'll have to go with the wiring harness and MPFI route, how bout an old dodge 1.8 carbed? i actually saw one out at picknpull yesterday,

You know, we're all trying to help you here, but you obviously don't want to be helped. Having been told multiple times what the best/easiest/fastest drop-in swaps would be, WHY do you keep asking about inferior engines that will require MORE work, MORE time, MORE effort, and MORE money ... all to get you something that doesn't run as well as what you have now?

Talk to a real junkyard, not a pick-n-pull. They talk to each other -- they can find you whatever engine you want, and then you decide whether or not you want it. If you get an engine from a pick-n-pull, there's no warranty. Most used parts (including engines) from a "real" junkyard come with a 90-day warranty.

Do your own search: www.car-part.com

In the time we've all wasted trying to diagnose your dead or dying 2.8L you could have had a swap completed by now. Stop fooling around -- either find one of the right engines suggested by multiple people here, or sell the MJ and buy a Ranger or S10.

Why do Abbott and Costello come to mind when reading this thread? 

This is not an act..... :rotf:

Reddog listen to the "OLDDOGS"......find a jeep 2.5 (with the harness and computer) find a tree branch and a come along and a set of wrenches and sockets.

In the same amount of time it took you to type your answers to this thread you could pull your motor......put in the 2.5  and   :driving:

More HP and better gas milage.... :thumbsup:

guys it's not that easy for me to find what yall are sayin to find, older jeeps in my area are either way over priced on craigslist or on the roads, rarely do you find an older jeep in a junkyard, now i am goin out to some of the other junkyards so picknpull won't be my only option but for me to get a 2.5 and the harness, i can not afford that, i'm only a part time worker and don't make a lot, that's why i ask what i ask, the cheaper route, i can't just go out and spend 500+ dollars for mod my jeep, i thought the moto for jeepers was "jeepers helpin jeepers" not help then give another jeeper crap cause he can't go a special mod route and he has to go the cheaper route cause that's what he can afford,

Redwolf

There is no way in hell you can't find a 3.4 cambird motor. They are everywhere. Will you have to travel a couple hundred miles to get one? Maybe. It is part of the hobby. I drove from Georgia to Northern Ohio to get a transmission for my Shelby Charger. Why? Because i needed one. Those cars are a hell of a lot more rare than these trucks are. If i can find parts for it then you csn find a camaro engine. Talk to the people selling the engine. Explain to them that you are x amount of hours away and ASK nicely for some money off. It'll pay for half your fuel costs.

Where do you live?

Okay, let's try this. Redwolf is in Virginia Beach. I'm in southern Connecticut. According to Google Maps, that's 444 miles and takes 7-1/2 hours to drive. Call it 8 hours.

I have out back of my garage a complete 1986 Cherokee 2.5L 5-speed, 4WD. I bought it several years ago to build into a trail rig, then most of the places I used to go wheeling were closed down so I never proceeded with the project. The previous owner had a rebuilt engine put in it. The new engine has about 30,000 miles on it -- I found the receipt in the glovebox. I have not heard it run -- when I tried to start it after I hauled it in here, it would cough and sputter a little, but it wouldn't actually fire up. Spark is VERY weak -- might need an ignition module, might need a CPS.

I've had it for sale in the Classifieds here and there's no interest. I need to clear out the yard. At this point all I want out of it is the 4.10 axles. I have other axles I can stuff under it. Redwolf, if you want it and you're willing to rent an auto hauler from U-Haul for a weekend, you can have it. That'll give you a complete donor vehicle, all the peripherals, wiring harness, ECU -- everything.

Friend if you do not take this gentleman up on his generous offer ....you should give us all the  relief of not posting here again....regulars will know what i mean....in all you posts you ask for help....it is given ....and you always find a way to change it up.....this Gentleman has given an offer that i think is beyond generous....if you don't take it ........... :doh:

Reality.

We don't live where you do. We don't know whats available. We have given you the bolt in or mostly bolt in options.

Since you are short on dough, a custom swap is out of the question.

Since that is the case, a rebuild is also too much to handle.

You are a novice at this. It's okay. Maybe I have been a jerk, definitely others have, but you have set the bar for what you can do. If those options are out, time to sell it and get something easier to find parts for.

Then I'll be a "jerk" and ask why does everyone keep responding to this person's endless questions on a multitude of topics while ignoring all the solutions that have been offered? One of the latest was the yeas and nays of painting turbine wheels.  :hmm:

Then I'll be a "jerk" and ask why does everyone keep responding to this person's endless questions on a multitude of topics while ignoring all the solutions that have been offered? One of the latest was the yeas and nays of painting turbine wheels.  :hmm:

It is like driving by a car wreck.....you don't want to look.......but you can't help yourself........ :doh: