My "new" 88? (Formerly: Granite State Clean-up - '90 MJ)

Like the last one, I found it on Craigslist.  This one was in Tryon, NC.   At first the seller was reluctant to do a long distance transaction, but things

worked out.  88 Pioneer, short wheel base, 4x4, 4.0, auto, with working and updated A/C.  I'm actually partial to the long box, but this thing is

absolutely rust free and had the essentials. 

On the trailer, ready to head north ...

Part_1.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Minuit said:

Sad to see the first one go, but that's a very nice looking Pioneer there.

Thanks ... Yeah, I had mixed emotions about selling the other truck, but I'm a shade tree mechanic at best and can't do body work to save my life.   It just didn't make sense to spend any more on it.   I posed the new truck for pics and the launching point for updates.

IMG_20180518_195149985_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180518_195207323_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180518_195018225_HDR_(2).jpg

IMG_20180518_195505494.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got her back, but haven't had time to upload pics until tonight ... Of course, ya spend some $ on frivolous and get poked.  She came out great, but now I'm having some transmission issues.  I'll get it sorted.   Meanwhile ...

IMG_20180614_193130502_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180614_193307381_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180614_193348241_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180616_172401001_TOP.jpg

Absolutely outstanding!

Do you know what kind of steps the shop took to paint the flares? I hope to get my truck painted by the end of the summer and although the shop I'm using is considered one of the best around here, they are very hesitant to paint the flares with any confidence they will hold paint/color for more than a couple of years. I'm sure they're just planting the seed to cover their @$$ but rubber get's painted all the time on bumpers etc. so it's confusing to me why they don't seem confident about a good result. Their reply is that since the factory flares are are injection molded black or whatever color they won't be able to come close to that. 

Thanks for the compliments ... much appreciated.  I'm really happy with the outcome. 

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:50 PM, Jeep Driver said:

Speaking of $$$$, what did the paint cost you?

It was a package deal.  I found an ad on Craigslist that sounded good.  He did some work on my XJ ... I discovered some rust/rot when cleaning it up.  He replaced a floor pan, some rot behind a rear wheel under a bumper end and repair/repaint of a full length key job on the drivers side.  That and the prep and paint for the MJ was $2700 all in.   Considering some other quotes I had taken, I was pretty good with that.  

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:53 AM, WahooSteeler said:

Do you know what kind of steps the shop took to paint the flares?

He had some trouble with the paint "wrinkling" with his first effort.  I sent him a text with your question and this is his reply; ""Remove and/or feather out as much paint as possible. Three light coats of SEM high build primer and sand with red scuff pad between coats. Spray with SEM trim black.  Final color is satin black, single stage enamel."  When we talked about it, he said that would enable me to get any wax off the flares if I was sloppy when waxing.  

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:11 AM, HOrnbrod said:

The last pic shows some blue accent stripes.

I think that's just the light and the body line.  No stripe, but now you have me thinking! 

As an aside (Don), I put 96 Chrome head light doors and full grille on her.  Needed a little tweeking because the configuration is a little different than '88, but it fits!

8 hours ago, NHMJXJ said:

Thanks for the compliments ... much appreciated.  I'm really happy with outcome. 

It was a package deal.  I found an ad on Craigslist that sounded good.  He did some work on my XJ ... I discovered some rust/rot when cleaning it up.  He replaced a floor pan, some rot behind a rear wheel under a bumper end and repair/repaint of a full length key job on the drivers side.  That and the prep and paint for the MJ was $2700 all in.   Considering some other quotes I had taken, I was pretty good with that.  

Thanks.

I like to know the value of things. 

As expected. 

8 hours ago, NHMJXJ said:

As an aside (Don), I put 96 Chrome head light doors and full grille on her.  Needed a little tweeking because the configuration is a little different than '88, but it fits!

:laugh:  I did just the opposite, installed the upper and lower Renix chrome grill pieces on my 91 but kept the original headlight doors. This allows me to swap in the more cool 21 or 10 slot Renix grilles for a quick facelift whenever I get bored with one or the other. The HOs only had the full 8-slot grilles.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:07 PM, Jeep Driver said:

Love the tag. 

Thank you!  :L: 

Did some searching on New Hampshire DMV website.  0IIII0 was taken.  As was the other variations.  I'm sure a flat fender owner would like it, but it's mine for now.

7 hours ago, NHMJXJ said:

Thank you!  :L: 

Did some searching on New Hampshire DMV website.  0IIII0 was taken.  As was the other variations.  I'm sure a flat fender owner would like it, but it's mine for now.

Please do explain the meaning of the plate to this poor old guy??

BTW, very nice price for all that paint and body work!!!

• 4 weeks later...