I Need Another Comanche Like A Hole In The Head But,....

JENSSEN

So I found this today, it was hard to see but I believe this to be the VIN 1JTBL65F0GT110702 , its a basket case motor needing reassembly,.. Needs a timing belt kit which seems to be scarce,...

I was told it's a metric ton, 4x4, long box,..

vghlc9.jpg

2db41va.jpg

jpykjt.jpg

2r54umc.jpg

What to do,..... I want it, parts are so scarce though,.. good floors and rockers, What to do, what to do,.???!???

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy it and fix it if you can get it cheap enough. Parts are more difficult to find, but not unobtainium.

399553_303859912984836_15230247_n.jpg

384817_303859836318177_1437058445_n.jpg

You have enough people around here that know about them also. I have a good understanding, opsled and JeepcoMJ know more than myself.

Rob

Buy it and fix it if you can get it cheap enough. Parts are more difficult to find, but not unobtainium.

399553_303859912984836_15230247_n.jpg

384817_303859836318177_1437058445_n.jpg

You have enough people around here that know about them also. I have a good understanding, opsled and JeepcoMJ know more than myself.

Rob

Those spare kits???

The truck had the head pulled 5 years ago, redone and installed, never fully reassembled the engine since then it sat outside in the weather, turbo exhaust inlet left exposed (has mouse poop in it) engine is partially assembled and it sits amongst packagers, 35 chevs, early citroens ect by the older gent who contacted me to save it.

I had a long typed out reply ready, but I lost it when tapatalk couldn't connect with comanche club... Short and sweet version:

Those are the 2 kits I picked up for my truck. One I installed, one I am keeping around for obvious reasons. I contacted my local Carquest guy, who talked to the Gates guy. Gates guy found them on a shelf in Belgium. I am sure with the two part numbers I posted, you will do a bit better than starting from scratch like I did. One has the idler, one doesn't.

I would buy that thing if you have the money and the place to put it. It would be worth it for the body alone. Put the truck into a corner and pluck away with the motor as time allows. As long as you still have the original headgasket or a matching replacement, you are in decent shape. The headgasket comes in 3 different thicknesses to set head height. Without the gasket, I think there is some math involved.

Buy it if you can. That's a rare bird, don't let it fly away.

Rob

Out of curiosity, whats he asking US$?

Keep us posted if you do or don't buy it?

If it was me...aint even a question if I would or could, it would already be on its way to my house.

Besides the Thunderchief, I believe this is one of the rarest MJs out there.

How about the interior? Creature comforts?

We have yet to talk price, He contacted me to give it a new home, as for interior it's robin egg blue, bench seat, premium cluster, headliner is gone, small shifter console, pretty basic interior, vent windows and cargo light on the cab.

The exterior the paint is faded and burnt on the sky facing panels, big ding in the box drivers side before the rear wheel and seam on cab corners and rockers have light rust. Floors look good from the bottom and where the A piller seams to the roof is rust free. Windshield is in poor shape , also has the original steel ralley wheels with it.

Can anyone get any info from what I think the VIN was?

2r54umc.jpg

Love this decal.  :thumbsup:

... as for interior it's OLD MAN PANTS blue, bench seat, premium cluster, headliner is gone, small shifter console, pretty basic interior, vent windows and cargo light on the cab....

Fixed it for you.

I'm with the rest on this. It's way easier to get it now and figure out how big of a issue it'll be later on.

LOL thanks for the colour correction!

As for buying it now I will probably end up with it,... It will joint the other 9 Jeeps and other "projects" at the house as I don't want to see it scrapped. When I was younger I brought stray animals home, now it's cars and trucks. It's that or I am going to be on an episode of hoarders ,.. Currently I have:

4 Comanches

2 Cherokees

2 Grand Cherokees

1 TJ

1 Thunderbird TurboCoupe

1 Ford Pinto Wagon

1 1982 Toyota Trekker

1 1953 Dodge truck

And a class C motor home

And possibly now another Comanche,...

Still in negotiations,...

If I end up with it it's going to need a name,..

Basket case?

Long and forgotten (all mine a short box)?

Clacker?

Suggest names now and maybe a vote if I end up with this sorry soul,...

• 3 weeks later...

OK have a few updates, He has given me a price, I am hesitant as I have noticed some parts missing, lots of mice seem to have been using the unit as a residence,... Small thing dipstick is missing, cam cover was never bolted down so there is some rust on the valvetrain although the reground cams seem ok, thank god for assembly lube. The turbo has a little shaft play that is normal with no oil in it. It spun somewhat easily. I think most of the parts are there, it does need some body work on the lower box sections, doors (dents), passenger cab corner is pretty soft but possibly salvagable. As its been sitting for at least 4 years the fuel will be junk and brakes will be a hot mess,..

Thoughts?

Egine bay pics taken today:

Ok some late nights thoughts, this jeeps going to need:

-Brakes ( front and rear to be safe)

-All fluids swapped

-windshield

-misc old man blue interior parts

-tires

-expensive UK motor parts

- Vermin removal

-possible wiring/interior repair from mice

-passenger cab corner (possibly)

- body work

-headliner

Pretty big list can a TD Manche owner message me to help me value this.??