Rear Leaf Springs

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2wd had leaf springs which sagged. I have moved to the 4wd springs when I finally got around to changing them and now have a rear lift which gives the truck a rake. I would like to find another set of new 2wd leaf springs to level it out without having to lift the front.

I run long beds 2 and 4 wheel they all appear to use the same springs. But I have lately bought two short beds for parts, the springs are not even close. They are about 7" shorter on the short bed with different style eyes. Now these short beds are both 2 wheel drive (don't think it makes any difference). But if my long bed springs were on a short bed the rear shackles would be mounted on the bumper. The long beds are around 57" and the short beds are around 50"

Maybe he wasn't taking into account that the centering pin is not in the center of the leaf pack lengthwise. The rear part of the spring is five inches longer than the front part.

I was just outside cleaning and painting a Metric Ton spring pack and pressing in new bushings. I have a question about the difference between a standard leaf pack and a Metric Ton leaf pack. Is the Metric Ton's overload spring the only difference? Don?

Maybe he wasn't taking into account that the centering pin is not in the center of the leaf pack lengthwise. The rear part of the spring is five inches longer than the front part.

I was just outside cleaning and painting a Metric Ton spring pack and pressing in new bushings. I have a question about the difference between a standard leaf pack and a Metric Ton leaf pack. Is the Metric Ton's overload spring the only difference? Don?

Basically Johnny. MT springs came in two flavors. The early ones were configured 4+1 (4 thin leafs + 1 thick overload leaf) and the later ones were 3 + 2 (3 thin leafs + 1 overload leaf). The non-MT springs were all configured 3 + 1, but came with varying spring rates depending on the part number. AFAIK, the payload was the same on the non-MT springs.

the overload doesn't affect ride quality

Yep. The overload doesn't came into play until...wait for it....the other springs are overloaded... :D

Exactly, the overload is supposed to stop overloading of the springs, which will make them invert....something like this; this was the best picture I could find lol

6664844695_88ab18bbd3_z.jpg

Where did you find the bushings?

Some great info I'm getting here. Thanks to all who have replied. Just wondering if anyone has ever used the Crown replacement springs I have been seeing on the internet? Or does anyone recommend a place to buy stock springs?