New Here First Time Comanche Owner

Dkfiii88manche

What's up everyone. My name is Dudd, DK for short. I am new to the Comanche world. Just purchased an '88 with102,000 on the odometer it has the 4.0 liter with an automatic transmission. I love Jessica, that's her name. She needs some TLC. The rear main seal is leaking like a siv. She has a '98 dash so none of my interior controls work or light up besides the cluster but the climate controls don't work at all the provirus owner just had the fan hard wired to the battery. I want to put an older dash in it so everything works without having to change the wiring harness. She has a rough country 3inch lift with 31inch tires also has a roll bar with a full size spare montes on it. Posting pics soon. I'm in love though! Hit me up with any suggestions or comments.

Welcome to the Club DK! Can you determine what was swapped or altered to get that late model dash in there? Several of us here have done the full 97+ conversion, but I can only recall one who attempted to swap the dash with a custom gauge cluster. Be sure to start a thread in the MJ Tech forum with your tech questions. We are here to help you and your MJ!

Your gonna like it here - lotsa help & SEARCH isa good tool - - Google search is better easier faster for CC info - - Enter  SITE:COMANCHECLUB.COM & WHATEVER SEARCH ITEM/TOPIC - - Not case sensitive but all one word - site:comancheclub.com - - - - Jessica's a nice sounding name 4 a truck - Not one of the all to common manly types now in vogue - - - Not well known but all MJs are named - AMC Coded - embedded in the vin - Yrs 86-92 translates to LILLITH, IIRC - - - - Back 2 serious - do you have 97+ door panels as well as the dash? Going back to original dash may be more of a pain than rewire - Dunno, never did either - - Anyway, good luck &  Pics are plus when getting help.

:wrench:

Well today was the first day I got the chance to undress Jessica and see what she's made of. Her main seal is perfectly fine!! The joker that sold it to me cannot diagnose mechanical problems. It turns out that it was just the valve cover gasket. I changed the old girls oil and made her valve cover look like new. Her undercarriage is beautiful. Not one dry rotted spot on her. She does need a rear window though and a step so I can mount her with ease. I took her for her first romp in the snow. I have never had a 4x4 before, and with all this snow, I'm absolutely loving it. She is so fun to drive. Now all I need is a good girl to enjoy her with.

I've already got four compliments at one gas station and one $3000 offer. I'm not selling!! Can't wait to really strip her down and make her sing!!!

It's fairly common for any oil leak on an MJ or XJ to be mis-diagnosed as the rear main seal. Because oil flows down (who woulda thunk?) and the engine is tilted backwards in the chassis, most leaks make their way back to right under the rear main seal. Leaky valve covers are very common as well. Eventually I'll get around to fixing mine.