Bent Rear Axle

91 Comanche with a 3.07 D35. As some of you may know, someone t-boned me a few months ago. Just now noticed that the rear axle is bent and needs replacement. Got a few options, need some opinions. NOTE: My funds are limited to about $250, this needs to happen relatively quickly so I can't just sit on my hands and wait for an MJ D44 to just show up on Craigslist, I can't go driving 800 miles cross country after a part due to school and work, and I have neither the time or funds to spend on trying to put together a lot of small parts to make an axle swap work. I can't be hunting for brake hoses and cables and yoke adapters and all that mess.

1. Someone about 2 hours away has an MJ D35, same gears, for $50.

2. One of my buddies has a C-Clip D35 LSD 3.73 out of a TJ that I can have for free.

3. Someone else has a D35 from a YJ.

4. I can try and find an 8.25 or something like that to swap into it.

All opinions are appreciated and if someone has a better idea I didn't think of, please let me know because I need it.

91 Comanche with a 3.07 D35. As some of you may know, someone t-boned me a few months ago. Just now noticed that the rear axle is bent and needs replacement. Got a few options, need some opinions. NOTE: My funds are limited to about $250, this needs to happen relatively quickly so I can't just sit on my hands and wait for an MJ D44 to just show up on Craigslist, I can't go driving 800 miles cross country after a part due to school and work, and I have neither the time or funds to spend on trying to put together a lot of small parts to make an axle swap work. I can't be hunting for brake hoses and cables and yoke adapters and all that mess.

1. Someone about 2 hours away has an MJ D35, same gears, for $50.

2. One of my buddies has a C-Clip D35 LSD 3.73 out of a TJ that I can have for free.

3. Someone else has a D35 from a YJ.

4. I can try and find an 8.25 or something like that to swap into it.

All opinions are appreciated and if someone has a better idea I didn't think of, please let me know because I need it.

I too am selling that exact axle, shame your so far. The TJ axle will require rewelding the perches, as will an 8.25, however, if you find a 29 spline (97 and later XJ) it's just as strong as a 44 and relatively cheap, I got mine for $75. But, if your not a welder, moving the perches might cost a bit much. 

The nose on an 8.25" is one inch longer, he will have to look at the rust line on the slip yoke to see if he has enough play to handle that. If not it will need shortened adding more $$$.

I would spend $50 on the D35, for a temporary fix. Then after the truck is back together start looking for an 8.25" for a more permanent solution.

If you stay spring under, perches are cheap, less than $10 I believe. I used to pay $20 at a local welding shop to have two perches welded on after I used an angle grinder to cut the old perches off and ground smooth and also grind rust, paint and dirt off down to shiny metal where the new ones get welded on.

Is it 2wd or 4wd ? You of course would have to stay with the same gear ratio if it's 4wd . Even if it's 2wd changing the ratio will effect gas mileage and power

It's 2wd for now and the MJ D35 is the same 3.07 as mine. Though it'd be better if it was a 3.55 or something with the 31s I have.

Btw is the housing bent or just the axle ? If the axle is bent just change the axle because you have to factor in the price of new bolts / hardware diff fluid ( if drained ) and labor .

It's the housing. Both tubes are bent up. Don't know how I didn't see it before. Major negative camber.

I agree with the above... Get the $50 D35 and save for the C8.25 conversion at a later time.

Seems to be the consensus and probably what I'm going to do. I should be able to swap the rear axle in a day.

Be sure to get new ubolts for the swap

Fortuitously?, I already have Grade 8 stainless hardware under there from where I had to replace the leafs after I got hit.

D35 axle shafts are thin enough to bend quite a bit. And his spiders gears are probably hating him every time he moves it.

Yeah, those gears have been doing some howling lately. Though I would hope my Jeep would direct the hatred towards the person who hit us.

It won't last too much longer like that either way.

Agreed. It was on it's last leg when I got home. It was starting to lose gear oil out the left side of the pumpkin at the bottom of the left axle tube.

Yea... the D35 is fairly "light" by comparison of any other Jeep axle...  When I swapped one out for a C8.25 in my XJ, I picked up the 35 and carried it across my garage, around the side of the garage and put it in the back of the MJ.  My wife watching me the whole time amazed that I just picked up something like that.  The 8.25... that was a different story haha.