Possible Axle Upgrade Ft And Rr

Hello Everybody

I just found some axles on CLs, anyone got any feed back on this set up; Dana 60 Rear Axle and Dana 44 Front Axle  Diver side drop Matching Set with 456 gears  Bottom drop on pumpkin Out of a 1978 Dodge 350  Need out of drive Way!!!! $350.00 OBO;

My MJ is currently equipped with the 2.5l 5 spped with np207 4x4..

Would these be a good start to building up my mj?

After welding new spring plates, CTA mounts and shock mounts on correctly would I be able to throw them underneath or would I need to fabricate or order new parts to make it work?

Here's a picture of them as well.....

00d0d_6mJY39aGNzU_600x450.jpg

Feel free to post or pm me with any thing you guys know that might help. Thank you as always.

What do you plan to do with your MJ?  Hard wheeling on 37's or bigger?  I'm assuming that these are from a full-width truck and therefore will be quite wide on our little trucks.  With the right lift and tire combo, it wouldn't look bad.  However, just because you can doesn't mean you should.  If you're planning a V8 swap and with heavy wheeling, then this wouldn't be a bad place to start IMO. 

Overkill, I thought the saying was go big or go home.

Dana 60 Rear Axle and Dana 44 Front Axle  Diver side drop Matching Set with 456 gears  Bottom drop on pumpkin Out of a 1978 Dodge 350  Need out of drive Way!!!! $350.00 OBO;

that was the complete CLs ad minus pictures. Came out of a 78 Dodge 350 I believe thats a Van not sure of their width.

37s or so is about where'd I like to be and my eventual plan is to have the most awesome indestructible post zombie apocalypse MJ possible, with a possibility to enter King of Hammers one day in mind too. I want to drop a diesel drivetrain into my mj ( i know new transmission and transfer case will be on the list), cab cage, front and rear lockers, snorkel, the list of upgrades and modifications goes on and on.

Sounds like you may want a Dana60 front? Som of those post apocalyptic outlanders can get a bit harry. I will say that $350 for the set would be an easy flip down here in Houston due to demand. I bet I could get more than $350 just for the HP front and would buy them and re sell them if i didnt use them. Not sure about your area.

if you wanted to use a passenger drop,

you would need a new tcase, and also re do the engine mounts, as they make the powertrain slightly off to the right

or re-sleeve  the axle, both are costly, if you are tossing a diesel in, then you will be making your engine mounts anyways,

and could at that time slap in the passenger side tcase at the same time

Even though they are listed as one ton, and supposedly came off one, IMO D60 rear and D44 front is 3/4 ton running gear at most.

The Dana 44 uses the same u joints as the large joints D30 shafts, and these will not hold up to 35" tires and a locker. Not even the Alloy USA Chromoly joints. CTM might, but at $250 a piece they were out of my price range. One of those joints cost more than I paid for my D60 front axle.

If you want to run 37" or larger tires, look for a Ford high pinion driver side drop D60 out of a F350, either full width or narrowed. This will be a lot of work to put under a Comanche, though.

35" build up your D30 with a truss and chromoly shafts and stock up on u joints.

33" or smaller use your stock D30 front axle.

For an inexpensive rear axle I had a 29 spline 8.25" under mine and it survived a locker and 35" tires even doing a rear wheel stand while hopping. Twisted the drive shaft in half, but the axle was fine.

If you seriously want to build a truck that is KOH capable .... those are not the axles for you.

Realistically though, do you really have the $100k+ that it takes to build a truck and run in KOH?  

If you just want a nice truck to wheel on 37s, then those axles will be just fine.  But be ready to put a few grand into lockers, shafts, joints, bracketry, steering, brakes etc etc etc.

PS - I agree with the posters above that might be a low pinion pass. drop ..... but honestly, its hard to tell.

The only thing concluding me to think that it's not a passenger side drop is the placement of those shocks.  Looks like they're mounted just above the axle tube from the angle of the picture.  Either way, they're still hella wide for an MJ and fabbing these under our trucks will take a lot of work.

I looked up some 1978 dodge 350 specs 79 inches wide to our MJs mere 60. That would put 10 inches of axle outside of my truck, on each side, bummer. I was looking closer and the front axle does look to be upside down.

Also these are on CLs so that doesn't mean the person who listed them knows a thing about them, for all I know he could be guessing about them or just telling me what ever someone else told him about them. This is why I asked you guys. .

Mr. Simon yes KOH is a dream of mine as well as rock competitions, hill climbs, and mud bogging.

I had my truck over 4 years now, plans to build it are never ending, and the plan is to keep it for life.

• 2 weeks later...

You want '80-83 Wagoneer, 4 dr Cherokee (2 drs can be wide track), or Grand Wagoneer axles for ease of fit. D44 front and either M21 (Model 20's stronger brother) or D44 rear ('87 up)

or a rear dana 44 axle from a 95ish Rodeo or Passport which has the same width and bolt pattern as the grand waggy but comes with 4.10, 4.30 or 4.56 gears and disk brakes.  front axle on them is worthless though, as it's IFS.