Never Forget That The Span Of Life Is Not Infinite.

Oyaji

Last night my mother passed on, after a 15-year battle with Parkinson's Disease, and complete immobility and indescribable suffering since August. For the past 2 years when she was completely debilitated, she had care from myself and the rest of her immediate family, who took it upon ourselves to attend her in shifts around the clock. She breathed her last at home, surrounded by those who loved her.

I hope you will allow me to wax philosophic, and to offer some advice which you must have heard and may have already have taken to heart: treasure your time on earth and the time you spend with family, and be good to all whom you encounter in life. The manner of passing may come either suddenly or with warning, but in any case the span of our days is finite. The only real choice we have is how we spend them, and I know I am not alone in trying to be good to those around me and in being unfailingly polite to all whom I encounter.

And realize that you just may not be correctly reading people with whom you have friction, that they may be every bit as motivated as yourself in being good to one another, and that the fault of misunderstanding just might possibly exist within yourself, so make allowances and cultivate patience. By doing so not only will you help make the world a better place, but you also just might find it is already a better place than you thought.

My condolences.

I was the primary care giver for my parents as my siblings live a state away and I live right here in the same town.  My Dad went first with Alzheimers & Parkinsons.  My Mom went 2 yrs. later with cancer.  My siblings barely participated.  I did/do not hold any grudge against them.  I feel like a better person for the experience.  I'm still terrible expressing myself to people who lose a parent/spouse/friend etc.  It's a highly personal thing.

Sorry for your loss.

Whenever someone I know loses an elderly loved one I always say we should celebrate that they made it to the end. I also feel that if you talk about the person daily and do good things in their name, they are still with you.

Thank you for the reminder. It can never be said too much. I cherish every day with my daughter.

Sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one is always difficult. We must cherish those around us because we are all on "borrowed time." Agree with Dedaw that you should always leave others on a good note. May you and your family be comforted in your time of need.

At least you had the last few years with her. Most people would not take care of their parents like you did, even though those same people were taken care of by their parents when they were brought into this world. Sorry to hear of your mothers passing. Rest easy knowing she is no longer in pain.

Jason