Hopfuly New To The Comanche World! Opinions? Advise?

So I've always wanted a jeep for a woods buggy but have always had my heart set on a Comanche, on and off for at least the last year I've lurked around on this forum and others just to read up on some basics when ever a mj pops up in the classifieds in my area and I planed to go look at one. Always missing out on anyone I had interest in before I even had a chance to go take a lookie see. Now I find this one and am planning on going to pick it up tomorrow. Any opinions? I talked him down to 3200 which I still feel like is a lot for the condition but it has a lot of things I want on it. Thanks! I hope to soon have my own mj and not have to just dream over your builds!

Jon

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/3804241080.html

That mj is bad a**!!!!!

Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better I'm always just worried that I'm going to to over pay for things. It says 240k on dash but I think the milage and speedo both don't work, motor in it supposedly has no more than 120k frame has been fixed out back looked very legit and strong, floors also. I just gotta touch up on some of my welding skills to attack the body

Grab a good flash light, lay under the bed behind the rear tire and look up. You are looking for rust behind the fender flare (on the INSIDE of the bed) and on the inner fender well.  Also look at the rockers and cab corners for rust. While looking the the rockers, crawl under the cab and look up. Look for more rust on the floor boards, particularly where the firewall and floor pan seam meet. Make sure the Clayton long arm brackets are welded to the frame.

Price seems pretty reasonable for the truck, especially if it has no (minimal) rust. 

If there's minimal rust as mentioned, $3200 is a decent price I think.  It has over $1600 of tires and wheels on it alone.  I'd also check the steering and suspension parts in the front end especially.  Also check all the drive train fluids that you can for water contamination!!  I get a bit paranoid of a rig with a snorkle.  Can mean they love mud and water, hence the suggestion of checking for water contamination.  Just my two cents worth!

Larry

Got a lot of nice stuff on it, if it does not have floors rusted out and bedsides rusted from the inside as stated earlier, I would try talk him down to 3500

call it good.If there is rustout, id talk him down more. Id look especially well under the floor under where the drivers and passengers footwells are.

Let us know, keep us posted what he says. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advise headed to go look at it again but with a trailer this time. Both diffs had very new looking gaskets on them, motor oil looked brand new, the floors he replaced and looked mint. The long arm bracket is mount and looked to be done right and solid. Only thing you guys mentioned that I didn't look at all was the fenders under the flares. There was 2 dime sized holes on one rocker I don't mind fixing, one hole on the bedside. And a few spots with bubbling rust but are still solid. Thanks again! I knew I lurked on this forum for a reason

Both doors and front fenders! But I still don't have a passenger mirror just 2 drivers! And 2 sets of front axles and one rear set in the toolbox also. I thew an antique plate in her and took her for a ride today, definitaly have to put the sway bar back on, and find a little front end clunk that I couldn't find by myself when jacked up. And the transmission is a little loud, mostly reverse and threw off a little heat, prolly gunna check/ add fluid tomorrow. Is there a spot to fill it? Or pop the shifter out and fill through top? Still need to farmilarize myself with this thing but I'm beyond happy, I'll post some maiden voyage pictures later on. Also anyone know the lowest/ best spot to drill a hole in the floor to drain water out of the cab? ;)

I have found it to be a heck of a lot easier to fill a manual tranny from the top as you suggested. IIRC the top plug is a 22mm wrench.  Reverse is a noisy gear, but never hurts to check the fluid.

Cool thanks, yeah it took 3 quarts so clearly it must have been about dry, it definetly has a little leak somewhere around the front of it. Didn't really have time to check it out since I need to get some sleep for work tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet. Moses.  :drool:    That is one badass rig, those boggers really complete it. How bad is the road noise/ride?

They're pretty loud anything over 35 but they ride fine I think going down the road. I'm a little floaty with no sway bar and I think I'm in need of totally rebuilding the front steering. Lots of clunking/swaying going on there. Lots of clunking everywhere actually haha but I'm beyond impressd, things a beast! Got a little hot last time out electric fan stopped working, and breaks wouldn't stop me fully coming back down off a ledge mountain top haha