Liberty V8 Conversion?

JeepcoMJ

sorry, had many more than one person tell me i should. it's a not a good idea, it's too much compromise on ride quality, and there is no point in putting a dana 30 into ANYTHING that it doesn't bolt into.

If I were to do SFA, I'd want something better....and a dana 44 can be broken easily, so it would be dana 60. at which point you're limited by the design of the body you're putting it under, which is just assanine to even deal with.

If you want a wheeler, don't start with a $10k vehicle. start with a pile of tubing, or a cheap beater that you can cut up and not feal bad about.

• 7 years later...

I used to work at Chrysler - Jeep Truck Engineering in the Dyno Labs. We ran the same harnesses for both engines. We would swap out the ECU's and tie off the 1 and 2 injector and C-O-P connectors. Voila! Both engines, one harness. Use the 4.7L HO engine. 310hp out of the box.

K&J Auto Service in Hazel Park, MI used to be able to reprogram JTEC's. Today though, Arrington Performance in Brighton, MI has the capability. 

41 minutes ago, eieghn said:

I used to work at Chrysler - Jeep Truck Engineering in the Dyno Labs. We ran the same harnesses for both engines. We would swap out the ECU's and tie off the 1 and 2 injector and C-O-P connectors. Voila! Both engines, one harness. Use the 4.7L HO engine. 310hp out of the box.

K&J Auto Service in Hazel Park, MI used to be able to reprogram JTEC's. Today though, Arrington Performance in Brighton, MI has the capability. 

now THAT'S some useful info   :bowdown:

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Michael G said:

Can I swap out my 86 Jeep Comanche Pickup 4 cylinder with my 2008 Liberty 3.7 motor & auto tranny?

anything is possible with enough time and money, but you might be the first to do that so you'll be blazing a lot of trails. 

The 3.7 doesn’t necessarily have the greatest reputation for reliability. If don’t want to spend money and you already have the complete drivetrain and everything to make it run I have a hard time imagining it would take much more than fabbing up mounts and getting the correct length driveshafts built, figuring out an instrument cluster and the fuel system. 
That definitely wouldn’t be my first choice of power train, and there are some that are very affordable and easily adaptable (with off the shelf kits) but if you really want to do it, it’s your truck, and I’m sure you can make it happen. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 hour ago, gogmorgo said:

The 3.7 doesn’t necessarily have the greatest reputation for reliability. If don’t want to spend money and you already have the complete drivetrain and everything to make it run I have a hard time imagining it would take much more than fabbing up mounts and getting the correct length driveshafts built, figuring out an instrument cluster and the fuel system. 
That definitely wouldn’t be my first choice of power train, and there are some that are very affordable and easily adaptable (with off the shelf kits) but if you really want to do it, it’s your truck, and I’m sure you can make it happen. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I believe it also relies on ABS sensors to shift the transmission as well as display speed on the speedometer so you'd have to work that out too.

42 minutes ago, derf said:

I believe it also relies on ABS sensors to shift the transmission as well as display speed on the speedometer so you'd have to work that out too.

interesting.  my 06 CRD had no ABS sensors for a short bit and everything functioned normally except the speedo (I now have one working so I got the speedo back). but different years had different input locations.  mine might get shifting info from the t-case or something.  :dunno:

51 minutes ago, Pete M said:

interesting.  my 06 CRD had no ABS sensors for a short bit and everything functioned normally except the speedo (I now have one working so I got the speedo back). but different years had different input locations.  mine might get shifting info from the t-case or something.  :dunno:

I have looked into a Liberty CRD swap in the past and it required ABS inputs to run the computer right, or so I've been told.  That may be more important with the 545RFE behind the CRD than it is for the 3.7 and its transmission.

My hazy memory tells me the NP242 in the KJ did away with the speed sensor in the tail housing.

Some transmissions have a tail shaft VSS that the computer uses to manage shifting decisions.  Others rely on wheel speed sensors and some arithmetic for the controller to know what to do.

fwiw, my abs system has been broken for like a decade now. :D  both rears were definitely dead after the axle swap a couple years ago, but at least one of the fronts was hanging on.  later on after more work I forgot to wire the 2 front sensors back in and then found out about the speedo issue so I put one back.  I do have the 242. 

BUT, 05 CRDs were very different than '06 CRDs so that could be the difference too. :dunno: