Liberty V8 Conversion?

JeepcoMJ

So, This has been done, with no build threads or real tech.

I'm having issues coming up with enough 3.7's to fix up the liberties that I'm selling. I'm keeping one, for myself, and will be towing with it.

The 3.7 is the same block (more or less) as a 4.7, less cylinders 2 and 3. This means that Cylinders 1 and 4 become 1 and 2, if you're speaking theoretical nonsense.

Basically, it bolts in. The 3.7 motor mounts bolt directly onto it, And my 02 45RFE trans is strong enough (if you could say that about a crapco trans) and bolts right up to it.

The full core radiator with one electric pusher and one electric puller should be enough to cool it

The exhaust manifolds can be swapped between certain ones to make it work/bolt-in, or I can make my own.

I've got an 01 dodge durango or dakota 4.7L here. It's got a 16 tooth reluctor/tone ring (this acts as though it's the flywheel in our older beloved 4.0's, and gives the CPS the proper readings to run), same as my 02 3.7. Likewise the cam sensor is the same.

I've gotten pinouts for the engine wiring to compare between the two ECU's. Basically, in order to "convert" it, I need to do a few things with the existing harness, but don't need to swap it altogether.

I need to move the injector and coil plugs for the v6's cylinder "2" to the v8's "cylinder 2", and cylinder "3" on the v6 to cylinder "3" on the v8. Then add in two cylinders worth of wiring in the appropriate spots on the ECM connectors. There are a few other things to do, but aside from that, it's pretty straight forward electronically.

What I'm going to have issues with is the ECM itself.

It will communicate with everything just fine...except that the security key code stored in it is incorrect for my vehicle, the mileage is innacurate for my vehicle, and the vin doesn't match my vehicle's computers. All of that will be an issue, so it's going to have to get re-flashed.

Has anyone got experience with having custom computer flashing for swaps done? And whether or not I can do it as needed?

Sorry, I'm not going to be any help with this, I'm just amazed that I didnt think of it or havent seen it before. Sounds like an easy swap. You have the crank tone ring thing all set. Ive seen too many times where people have swapped the engine and put the wrong year block in and wonder why it won't run ( different tone ring on the crank ). If or when you do this, please post some pics. It sounds awesome. 

autocomputerperformance.com is the company I used to get my WJ ECU flashed when I was having trouble with its SKIM. They can remove the skim, change the vin, etc, all that you need.

And yes it does look fairy straight forward, I even considered the same because I was seeing KJs with bad motors, but not many of the early tonewheel motors used.

Short update with some teaser pics

engine/trans in, trans mounted.    Need to think about motor mounts.    But mocking up I can see what will and will not fit.

The intake manifold on this one is not one that I will be using.  I have the appropriate jeep one along with computer etc. from an 02 jeep grand cherokee.   This motor still needs the tone rings swapped on the crank, and cleaned up, but I want the mounts and exhaust done before I ever get to that point, so that it's purely a mechanical issue and electrical to finish.

pics.

fuzzy, but k-member and suspension back up and in

this will need to come back out to be degreased properly before the jeep is able to go back together for final assembly

Motor in with trans bolted up.   pan is on a 2x4 wood block between axle and oil pan to hold it in position without the hoist.

driver side motor mount.   I'm thinking that the grand cherokee motor mounts should work out for me.

passenger side motor mount

The heater hoses will need to be stretched, in the middle, so that the reservoir and heater core can be hooked up and look proper.

here is your fan hub clearance.   You can NOT use a factory e-fan.    I will have to cut the e-fan out of the e-fan only fan shroud, and install one directly on the radiator, with a pusher on the other side.    The fan shroud itself will then fit in order to duct air efficiently

Power steering gets a little tight but the hoses will all reach and fit with plenty of flex.    There's actually too much hose to the U and the cooler, but no big deal

Here's how it sits with the v8 in it.  Obviously it will drop a bit more with full fluids, driveshaft, exhaust, everything else assembled.    I'll be wanting diesel springs, but it didn't drop the height by too much

This is where it will sit for a week or so while I finish up the engine replacement on the black 02.

Thanks Sam

Alexia....I do not love these things. I love what I can buy them for and sell them for. This one, I love the color and interior...and once done, will love the motor.

The guy who did that swap posted the videos, a picture or two, and has never been heard from again. cool for sure.

Thanks Sam

Alexia....I do not love these things. I love what I can buy them for and sell them for. This one, I love the color and interior...and once done, will love the motor.

The guy who did that swap posted the videos, a picture or two, and has never been heard from again. cool for sure.

Isn't that @#$%ing annoying? Here is this cool thing I did, here's a single $#!&ty pic and I'll never come back to the internet.

Right now I'm working on an SVX engine conversion into a VW van. This is a swap that has been done hundred of times before, but I'm having trouble finding a good single documented swap on it.......grrrr

Thanks SamAlexia....I do not love these things. I love what I can buy them for and sell them for. This one, I love the color and interior...and once done, will love the motor.The guy who did that swap posted the videos, a picture or two, and has never been heard from again. cool for sure.

Isn't that @#$%ing annoying? Here is this cool thing I did, here's a single $#!&ty pic and I'll never come back to the internet.Right now I'm working on an SVX engine conversion into a VW van. This is a swap that has been done hundred of times before, but I'm having trouble finding a good single documented swap on it.......grrrr

Yup, that is the single most annoying thing ever.

Thanks Sam

Isn't that @#$%ing annoying? Here is this cool thing I did, here's a single $#!&ty pic and I'll never come back to the internet.

Right now I'm working on an SVX engine conversion into a VW van. This is a swap that has been done hundred of times before, but I'm having trouble finding a good single documented swap on it.......grrrr

That is why I take pictures of everything I am doing on the 1997+ swap. It is fairly well documented, but more documentation is always better!

Yup.   I did as well for my 99 conversion.

I have a fellow who wants to pay me to swap a 4.7 into his 02 KJ as well.   I'll post all the tech and info for anyone who can do it themselves, and gladly.   But people such as him who haven't got the shop or tools to do the swap will still come to me.

Same thing that I do with my snowplow pumps...posted a how to, so other people can save money or make money, but I still get business.

I don't see the point in being the only person with this swap and holding onto all of the tech for myself.      I will not share enough how-to to put a buick 3800 into an 86 comanche, though, because that one is a one off and should be....it's not an easy swap, unlike this.   I don't want to share information when it comes to something like that because there is too much liability involved in being the person who suggested it.

Thanks Sam

Tough love for the Libbys.... You must like them a little bit if you are planning to use a V8 in one. Just sayin. :yes:

they are a very comfortable drive, roomier inside for a tall guy like myself, and heated leather with a sunroof speaks worlds to me.

They look like girl jeeps in stock form. the v8 will be this thing's only saving grace.

Replacing my cherokee with this one is a practical matter....I'm a small business owner and operator now, and also in a position that I need to be driving a respectable vehicle.

This fits the bill.

I have a Libby in my stable as well.  I agree with everything you said.  

My only real complaints are the girlish figure and the fact just about everytime you put gas in them, it sprays down the side of the Jeep when you just try to even out the dollar amount after the click!

I'm a fan of what you have going on, keep it up!

My only real complaints are the girlish figure and the fact just about everytime you put gas in them, it sprays down the side of the Jeep when you just try to even out the dollar amount after the click!

My diesel KJ never has this problem.

My diesel KJ never has this problem.

Mine is a 04.  I have a friend that has a 2nd gen Libby that does the same thing.  Hes had it in for warranty a few times and they can find nothing wrong... Weird.  

anyone who thinks that liberties are meant for offroading is completely off their rockers. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

there is flat out zero way I'll ever consider a KJ a replacement for an xj or mj. If I ever do anything to mine, it will be a 3.5" lift, some 31x10.50R16 dayton timberline at II, on mickey thompson classic 2 style rims. Then the most it would see is the green trail at the badlands.

SFA libby swaps are for rich pricks.