1986 Comanche Xls Resto

Took the bed liner out today and cut it up. It was already modified at some point for the topper to fit and was in bad shape. Fortunately the bed is perfect underneath no rust. Hoping to get the truck out for paint in about 2 weeks or so. After that things should go together quickly. I have my eye on an LS1 and 4L60E locally. Might go take a look this weekend.

Going to polish the taillights this weekend and paint the trim silver. They had the chrome trim on them from the factory but unfortunately it’s mostly worn off.

Also planning to pull the bed and media blast the entire frame, then coat it with POR15 and undercoating

6e24702b3ef79e0a18bae53d44c0198d.jpg

46c26f21a7237dcbbdc3c1f8ded0bc09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

Been making slow progress, but after months of saving, a big purchase was made. FINALLY! Things should start really rolling here soon! Scored a mint LS1 / 4L60E with 49k miles on it out of a 2002 WS6 trans am. She will be here Monday. I’ll be ordering a ton of stuff from Novak here shortly. Initially I was going to send her off to paint this month but decided it needs to be running and dialed in first before I do paint, that will be the last step as it should be.

Those that have done this swap, what rear drive shaft are you using? Custom?

03be2a0d1642dc4076415cc591c536b1.jpg

Oh on top of the engine purchase I also pulled the trigger on this.... it’s a dream come true I have been waiting for this for a long time, since the concept in 2005.

03e6f114a972ff0c3e5ecb6e78aabeb8.jpg

fe539dcebf64cabafd44a229c00e9766.jpg
b869f5fc8112641812b10538180eeaa4.jpg

yes!  Epic Tech here we come!   :D 

also, you should keep every inch of that glorious chrome.  :drool:

also, also, you should start a build thread about the gladiator in "other cool stuff" . :L: 

On 7/27/2020 at 1:43 PM, 19comanche86 said:

She’s here!! Got a bunch of stuff coming from NOVAK and I’m sending the harness and ECU out tomorrow to be flashed and converted to stand alone

6d60676899411361ae92e8bd3e0becbb.jpg

b051a7e7a1cb6fa0321180c78fff3b03.jpg

def88d0e979ecb5aebdd9734b08dac0f.jpg

Where'd you purchase the engine/trans from? And if you don't mind, the price?

Where'd you purchase the engine/trans from? And if you don't mind, the price?

I got it on eBay from a salvage yard in Michigan. It was not cheap. It was way more than I wanted to spend honestly. With that being said LS1s have gone way up in price and finding one with low miles is next to impossible. It’s got 48k miles on it, I paid $5700 shipped to my door.

I got the harness pulled off and shipped out to LT1 Wiring in PA. They are going to convert the harness to stand alone, add an OBD2 port and flash the ECU / remove all unnecessary systems.

Also took the front accessory drive off. Ordered the Holley kit which relocates everything to the top of the engine. Did not feel like chasing down brackets from the C5 Corvette. Comes with a new R4 compressor, alternator, power steering pump.

Moving right along, I need to do the WJ booster conversion next week, and start prepping the engine bay to drop it in. Motor mounts and headers come Monday.

a151083b419086ae91ddf911312d9693.jpg
7f462046c0a2b91f769d3d16c3549b66.jpg
6664b1644dec8631858ddc9102893790.jpg
32d32aaffc370975380c40524053941a.jpg

I got the harness pulled off and shipped out to LT1 Wiring in PA. They are going to convert the harness to stand alone, add an OBD2 port and flash the ECU / remove all unnecessary systems.

Also took the front accessory drive off. Ordered the Holley kit which relocates everything to the top of the engine. Did not feel like chasing down brackets from the C5 Corvette. Comes with a new R4 compressor, alternator, power steering pump.

Moving right along, I need to do the WJ booster conversion next week, and start prepping the engine bay to drop it in. Motor mounts and headers come Monday.

a151083b419086ae91ddf911312d9693.jpg
7f462046c0a2b91f769d3d16c3549b66.jpg
6664b1644dec8631858ddc9102893790.jpg
32d32aaffc370975380c40524053941a.jpg

Man can't wait for the build. I was thinking doing the LS swap from a tahoe in a year or 2. can't afford an LS1 way out of my budget but I'd rather see your build so I can get a better idea of what tio expect.

1986 Jeep Comanche X
4WD GM 2.8L V6
Front: Stock Dana 30
Rear: Stock AMC 20
Los Angeles CA

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Man can't wait for the build. I was thinking doing the LS swap from a tahoe in a year or 2. can't afford an LS1 way out of my budget but I'd rather see your build so I can get a better idea of what tio expect.

1986 Jeep Comanche X
4WD GM 2.8L V6
Los Angeles CA

Can’t go wrong with an LS. One thing I’m
Looking in to is the radiator situation. Because it’s an 86 the Novak radiator won’t work, it’s for 87-92 swaps. So not sure if I can just find a universal 3 core by Be-Cool or if I’m gonna end up having to change the header panel to an 87+.

The other thing I’m looking in to is the fuel pump. Since the 86 was carb with mechanical pump I’m trying to Decide if we are better off doing an external pump or trying to retrofit an in tank pump

Looking in to is the radiator situation. Because it’s an 86 the Novak radiator won’t work, it’s for 87-92 swaps. So not sure if I can just find a universal 3 core by Be-Cool or if I’m gonna end up having to change the header panel to an 87+.

The other thing I’m looking in to is the fuel pump. Since the 86 was carb with mechanical pump I’m trying to Decide if we are better off doing an external pump or trying to retrofit an in tank pump

Unless you do the 97+ front end swap, you can install mushimoto radiator (I think they have the 3 aluminum core) for the fuel pump, well since you're doing the LS swap you're going to have to go all out including the FI part of it.

1986 Jeep Comanche X
4WD GM 2.8L V6
Los Angeles CA

Got the front drive taken off last night, I ordered the Holley front accessory drive, didn’t want to be tracking down brackets and everything else. To relocate all the components to the top of the engine. Decided I’m going to blast the engine bay and coat it with Raptor Liner. The rest of the truck will be painted billet silver to match the gladiator.

e609607dedcc40eeebe0afc62e70ebdf.jpg

56588dbd1844c7f27534532e7d041910.jpg

4d8d6e6782621e648e219348208d0307.jpg

On 7/29/2020 at 9:05 PM, 19comanche86 said:

I would still try and use a Novak if you can. Swap in a later model internal fuel pump. The Jeep fuel pump is perfectly adequate and use the Corvette regulator/return. Much easier.

On 7/29/2020 at 10:05 PM, 19comanche86 said:

22x19 radiator works good. Need to trim the front cross bar a bit but mine fit great after a small amount of work and it cools it great. I got a summit brand 3 inch core

22x19 radiator works good. Need to trim the front cross bar a bit but mine fit great after a small amount of work and it cools it great. I got a summit brand 3 inch core

Awesome this is what I will do. Thank you. You have an LS in yours? If so any other tips or snags you ran in to?

2 hours ago, 70barracuda said:

I couldn't do that because I have the Boostwerks hidden winch. No room for a taller radiator!!

4 hours ago, 19comanche86 said:

Awesome this is what I will do. Thank you. You have an LS in yours? If so any other tips or snags you ran in to?

Nothing major that really stood out. My build thread is in the hardcore section if you wanna check it out. I will say going with the holley standalone system was the best decision ever. 

2 hours ago, Limeyjeeper said:

I couldn't do that because I have the Boostwerks hidden winch. No room for a taller radiator!!

Ah that's right!  That Novak radiator looked beast, just a tad expensive for me lol

Gonna be a busy boy!! Tip on the engine mounts - read the instructions carefully and get the bolt in that is under the mount first before you tighten up the rest of the mount bolts or you will never get them in. Also it is perfectly fine to use the existing bolt sizes. No need to convert everything to standard. Good metric bolts are just as good.