Model Differences

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my one owner 1988 CHIEF. Bucket seats, PS,PB, AC, fog lites, cargo lite, Dana 30 and 44, 5 speed manual, 4WD, 231, under hood lite, tow hooks, tilt steering wheel and CRUISE CONTROL, console, leather wrapped steering wheel, plus some stuff I'm sure I forgot.

My 1988 Chief has a cloth bench seat and a non-leather 3-spoke steering wheel. No cargo light, no Dana 44 rear axle. No tilt wheel, no cruise. All those things were options. The tow hooks were part of the off-road option package.

Start by looking at Cherokees from 88 through 90 in a junk yard for a cluster with a tach. IIRC, a higher limit speedometer would only have been available with the 91 and newer police package Cherokee, and these are not compatible with your 88.

I have a question for the experts.

One of my pet peeves with my 88 Pioneer is the gauges. It has all the gauges, but no tach, and the speedo is a 85 mph one. Which gauge set would get me a tach and a speedo with a higher number?

Thanks!

The tachometer was optional on the Pioneer and Chief (I know, because I bought the option when I special ordered my '88 XJ Pioneer) and standard on the Limited. They ALL had the 85 MPH speedometer. The ONLY speedo that went higher was the one used in XJs that were ordered by police departments. Good luck finding one of those.

My 1988 Chief has a cloth bench seat and a non-leather 3-spoke steering wheel. No cargo light, no Dana 44 rear axle. No tilt wheel, no cruise. All those things were options. The tow hooks were part of the off-road option package.

I agree with Eagle. My Chief did have a cloth bench (and still does but it is hanging on a wall in the garage), non-leather 3 spoke steering wheel and no cargo light. It has a dana44 but only because it was an option. I vaguely recall the off road package but mine didnt have it (skid plates were part of it if I recall correctly). But it had factory tow hooks but as a stand alone option and no tilt or cruise.

Here is my one owner 1988 CHIEF. Bucket seats, PS,PB, AC, fog lites, cargo lite, Dana 30 and 44, 5 speed manual, 4WD, 231, under hood lite, tow hooks, tilt steering wheel and CRUISE CONTROL, console, leather wrapped steering wheel, plus some stuff I'm sure I forgot.

Mike

Nice truck by the way. Love the tube bumper. You don't see too many of those very often any more.

Agree , a great looking and well equipped truck desertmike. I don't see any power (windows, mirrors, locks, antenna, etc.) options though. I've seen a few MJs with factory power windows, but that's about it. What power options were offered, and were they just for the elite trim levels, or available for any MJ?

Here is the highest option MJ I have seen. I sold it 4 years ago and regret it. It now resides in MD I think.

Laredo, 4.0, 5 spd, AC, PW, PL, AC, CC, tilt, buckets, console, gauges, wheels, cargo light, and courtesy lights, etc.

I removed the roll bar and brush guard before the repaint because I doubted they were original, I may have been wrong about that.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found