Upgrade Headlights

I ran the H4 bulb conversion on my XJ for awhile. I used 60watt lows with 100watt highs if I do recall. They weren't exactly street legal but I never had any problems with the police. I had cheap housings that I got off eBay and I bought the hella lights from 4wd. They were much brighter than stock. I upgraded to the truck lite LED lights now (really pricey but I got them as a gift so why not?) but they aren't "soft white" like you are looking for they are "cool white" which has a tiny bit of a blue tinge to them.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I am bringing this back from the dead.

Driving home tonight just as it was getting dark.  Put my lights on - to be seen, not to see.  Pulled in to my drive way and with my lights shining on the garage door, I could hardly tell they were on.

My truck is totally stock.  What are all the parts I need get for this upgrade?  Suggestions on brands and where to purchase?

Harnness, lights, switch, light-cans, anything else?

These Bulb Casings are Similar to what I have, Nice Glass Face, Good Light Output.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-88-JEEP-COMANCHE-PAIR-OF-7x6-CRYSTAL-CHROME-DIAMOND-CUT-HEADLIGHTS-/201114859826?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3AComanche&hash=item2ed3613932&vxp=mtr

Here is where I get my 130W Foglight Bulbs, 140W/100W H4 Halogen Bulbs. Will be getting others too.

www.memotronics.com

I have dealt with him, willing to do good deals when getting Quantity Order.

He was on evilbay, sent a Business Card in the Package.

Great Prices, Good Quality Bulbs.

The Autopal housings are a huge improvement over stock with the relay harness and 55w H4 bulbs. The Hella E-code housings are a huge improvement over that. Much improved light dispersion and sharper cutoff. The Hella housings cost more unfortunately but are worth the extra expense.

How clean are your headlights? Older scratched and cloudy lenses can also cause issues.

The relay harness upgrade will make a difference by itself. Sadly I'd have to say that the Lada I bought this summer had better headlight wiring from the factory... and we're talking about a car built by a company that was driven out of business in this market by Hyundai in the mid nineties. At any rate, any of the harnesses suggested in this thread will do better. The Silvania H6054XV's that I put in are definitely more than adequate for unlit roads in the middle of nowhere where there's always a large animal on the road on a stormy night.

Hi guys

I have an 88 MJ and 89 XJ.

Just wanted to check and see if this is the correct harness for Putco. The fitment guide says no. The links that cruiser54 posted seem to be old or not available anymore. Will the Putco harness fit both cars?

http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW-Premium-Automotive-Lighting/dp/B001P29X4G/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Jeep%7C42&Model=Comanche%7C348&Year=1988%7C1988&carId=002&n=15684181&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

Thanks

I'm sure it's the right one for the Putco harness, as was your question. It's the same one I used many moons ago when it was marketed by IPD.

The other one you reference is not from Putco, it's from octane_lighting ?, but it should be fine also. It's up to you. Go for it...............

I think this fits in here somewhere (feel free to move).  I'm providing info, not an endorsement of litigation..

Sylvania class action suit.  $10 to you if you purchased select Sylvania products (some mentioned in this thread) between Sept 2005 and July 2014.

www.autolightclaims.com to check the list and fill out a claim form...

Here are my LED's from highbeamoffroad.com with H4 housings. They are white 6000K temp, CREE LEDs with lifetime warranty.

10542973_817049578307208_181216992871319

How is the output on these LEDs?

Got a night pic?

I might. Can't get one if I don't though. It's on jack stands in the garage. Very good output in these housings. Square headlights FTW!

Here are my LED's from highbeamoffroad.com with H4 housings. They are white 6000K temp, CREE LEDs with lifetime warranty.

10542973_817049578307208_181216992871319

How is the output on these LEDs?

Got a night pic?

a2a5ugy8.jpg

Ah ha! Before adjusting. They're bright. But don't blind oncoming traffic like HIDs can.

a9e5e7e3.jpg

I think this fits in here somewhere (feel free to move).  I'm providing info, not an endorsement of litigation..

Sylvania class action suit.  $10 to you if you purchased select Sylvania products (some mentioned in this thread) between Sept 2005 and July 2014.

www.autolightclaims.com to check the list and fill out a claim form...

This must have something to do with the very ordinary Sylvania SilverStar headlamps with extraordinary claims that everyone raved about, si?

I'm glad they were exposed. Too bad for the suckers that bought them though. The German company Osram manufactured quality automotive lighting products until they merged with Sylvania. Osram was OEM equipment on Benzs, BMWs, Audis etc.; good products all. Now they have "outsourced" overseas like everything else.  :shake: