For sale 88 Comanche.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about relocating the radiator, oil cooler, trans cooler and steering cooler to the bed...

Any suggestions..

Radiator--

Lines--

The question is why? if its working up front and theres no issues.... why fix what aint broke. More lines more coolant more bubbles and issues. This truck is bad @$$. I'm always on pirate and i didnt see it there or here. Guess my brain failed to function. :) NICE rig dude.

The question is why? if its working up front and theres no issues.... why fix what aint broke. More lines more coolant more bubbles and issues. This truck is bad @$$. I'm always on pirate and i didnt see it there or here. Guess my brain failed to function. :) NICE rig dude.

That's the reason.. Pig gets hot, not at low speed though. its weird, soon as get up around 25, or start to climb a hill the temp shoots up, and quick.. Figured replacing the 30x11 rad with a 30x19 and relocating it would take care of the issue... I just can't get the cooling under control.. Was kinda my last ditch effort..

Do you have an aftermarket three core or stock style radiator?

I was having cooling issues climbing steady hills at speed, like at 55 or 60 MPH. I flushed the system, changed the water pump, etc. I knew it wasn't an airflow issue since it was occurring at highway speeds, but just slowly crawling down the trail was fine.

I started talking with a couple of XJ friends and we all had similar issues and had tried several remedies. We all had aftermarket, all metal, three core radiators in common. With XJs/MJs there really isn't enough room to get a thick enough radiator that allows for three cores to efficiently cool.

I swapped back to the crappy plastic/metal stock style and haven't had any issues since. I'd eventually like to see if I can find an all metal single core radiator if this one starts leaking.

Willy

Do you have an aftermarket three core or stock style radiator?

I was having cooling issues climbing steady hills at speed, like at 55 or 60 MPH. I flushed the system, changed the water pump, etc. I knew it wasn't an airflow issue since it was occurring at highway speeds, but just slowly crawling down the trail was fine.

I started talking with a couple of XJ friends and we all had similar issues and had tried several remedies. We all had aftermarket, all metal, three core radiators in common. With XJs/MJs there really isn't enough room to get a thick enough radiator that allows for three cores to efficiently cool.

I swapped back to the crappy plastic/metal stock style and haven't had any issues since. I'd eventually like to see if I can find an all metal single core radiator if this one starts leaking.

Willy

Sounds identical to the problems I've been having.. The radiator is after market.. Did all the replacement work. Flush, pump, tstat, water wetter.. Still gets hot..

i wasnt having any issues with mine, but i put in a CSF 2 row (all metal) radiator and it takes considerably longer to warm up now and the fans kick on less, life time warranty to. have you checked your fan clutch or are you all electric?

i wasnt having any issues with mine, but i put in a CSF 2 row (all metal) radiator and it takes considerably longer to warm up now and the fans kick on less, life time warranty to. have you checked your fan clutch or are you all electric?

All electric..

Can you go into more detail about the RADesigns shifter? I am planning on converting a 5spd truck to an AW4 and had planned on swapping in an auto harness/TCU but like the looks of the RADesigns stuff. Did you need to source any stock parts for the swap (shift cable, gates, etc)? Or is the RADesgins (Rock shifter + Baja II) all you need to get the manually shifting AW4 going?

By the way, your truck is very nice!

Can you go into more detail about the RADesigns shifter? I am planning on converting a 5spd truck to an AW4 and had planned on swapping in an auto harness/TCU but like the looks of the RADesigns stuff. Did you need to source any stock parts for the swap (shift cable, gates, etc)? Or is the RADesgins (Rock shifter + Baja II) all you need to get the manually shifting AW4 going?

By the way, your truck is very nice!

No harness needed if just running manual, stock cable, stock throttle body. 3 wires, ign, power, ground.. Plug and play.. I went from the 5spd to the aw4..

Call rory at radesigns, he's a cool dude, just tell him what you're doing and he'll put together a kit for ya..

Mind you, if you don't use the auto harness/tcm, it's only manual, he has kits you can do both, manual/auto..

looks like i need to start spending more time in everett lol. this thing is so sick

i was going to do something similar with sarge putting a radiator in the rear and a fuel cell. never had the follow though or money

Thanks bro..

Never to late to get those projects going, minus the fab work, everything I've gotten was a Craigslist find.. Just gotta look my friend..

Well I think it's time to get back in the garage, the manche has been a little neglected lately.. So my next project, 5.3 swap. Th400/d300...

Got the 5.3 from a buddy, gonna do away with intake and run an ls1 setup, for clearance reasons, also gonna run a built turbo 400 from same buddy, in the market for a Dana 300 to complete the drivetrain....

• 4 weeks later...