Alternator Upgrade

So my alternator took a poop after driving all day yesterday, I called local Autoparts store and they say this is only 100 Amp ? Is there a way or another alternator that will fit in the mj that puts out more Amp? Maybe 160-185?

DC Power Engineering has a 270 Amp alternator.

Couldn't get it to copy their info. Use Google and look it up

:hmm: 270 amps?!? I had the standard alternator at 65 AMPS and upgraded to the 100 AMP with no problems.

What year and motor? If it's a 4.0, 90 or older your options are pretty limited since it uses a Delco-Remy internally regulated alternator. 91 and newer 4.0's use a Nippon-Denso that has more upgrade options. I know nothing about the alternators on the 2.5L motors.

DC Power Engineering seems to only make them for Chevy/GMC, Ford and Dodge Ram trucks. I can't find anything for a Jeep.

They just don't list them for Jeeps specifically but they are there. The 270A alt. for the Dodge Ram 5.2L V8 and other Mopars with the 5.2L V8 (including the Grand Cherokees) works just fine in the 91 and 92 HOs. I'm using one (but not the monster 270A version).

Well took the alternator out since the truck would die when the + battery terminal was disconnected, the alternator check out to be working fine, so, check all fuses and found the gauge fuse was blown, replaced it and walla! All works back to normal!! Battery is charging, and driving just fine! But I will still upgrade!!

So no straight junkyard alternator upgrades?

I am running an 136 amp Grand Cherokee alternator. It took a little grinding to make it fit. Once it's in, bypass the fuse box and take an 8 guage wire or so straight to the battery. It's the same connection electrically, it's only going to that box for the fuse, then straight to the battery. I installed a 150 amp inline fuse on mine. Mine was also on an engine stand when I did it, it's going to be a major pain in the @$$ to grind with it in. There isn't a terrible amount of grinding, though. I can get the part number off my alternator if you're interested.

I am running an 136 amp Grand Cherokee alternator. It took a little grinding to make it fit. Once it's in, bypass the fuse box and take an 8 guage wire or so straight to the battery. It's the same connection electrically, it's only going to that box for the fuse, then straight to the battery. I installed a 150 amp inline fuse on mine. Mine was also on an engine stand when I did it, it's going to be a major pain in the @$$ to grind with it in. There isn't a terrible amount of grinding, though. I can get the part number off my alternator if you're interested.

i appreciate the offer, but i just remembered how hard it is to get at the alternator on the older trucks. Practically hits the ground. I would move it up to where the a/c compressor is but i like have air conditioning too much.

There are numerous higher-power Delco alternatives for the Renix MJs. What you have to be careful of is that the higher-output alternators have a bigger winding (no $#!&, Sherlock, that's how they get higher output), and if the winding gets much bigger than stock the alternator won't fit.

Look at Mean Green.

grind the alternator mount or the brackets on the engine? I am guessing grinding something on the engine because of your statement.

A little of the bracket, a little of the block. It's only a little bigger, not a ton. I bolted the bottom bolt in, not the top so it would swing down, then if you swing it up you can see how far you are from getting the holes to line up. Grind where you see it hitting until the holes line up. I've had it in for a year+, no problems. I have a huge system, 4 amped 6x9's, 2 amped subs, that's why I needed the upgrade, as didn't want a coil.

It's the 136 amp Denso, part #56027913. You can get it off any Grand Cherokee with a 5.2L or 5.9L engine at the junkyard. I don't know how your junk yard works, but mine I actually called and gave them the part number and they had it waiting for me.

The Delco Remy units are known as model 10SI, they are internally regulated 3 wire systems. You can get one from Summit Racing that puts out 140 amps that is a direct bolt in for a v-belt type. If you have a serpentine belt, you will have to swap the pulley from your old one, supposedly they fit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1669/ $179.95

Edited by Mountain Dude

So I grabbed a alternator out of a 95 xj 140 amp that my buddy bought, other than changing the plug, it went in like a glove!, bad thing is I had to give it back to my buddy ! :-( but know I know that 95xj will fit just fine!!! :-)