Not A Real Project Yet, Assembling Ideas Right Now

Recently purchased 88 MJ. 2.5L I4 TBI

Lived it's life in south Georgia = no external rust, looks great underneath.

Corporate world's kept me out of the garage awhile, but my son's turned 13 and time for some teaching....

Thought this would be a good starter kit for both of us.

Will be leaning on the 'learnings' here. Thanks in advance!

Paint is so-so, but good for now. Looks better in the pics. Some "wax on, wax off" for my son this weekend as his introduction to buffing compound.

Recently replaced are brakes, shocks, cluster, headlights,

Next - headliner, turn signal arm, slider, bumpers, pass side mirror...and, Yes, the carpet comes out soon. And gotta rig up a cup holder...no doubt.

Bench seat, ugh... found buckets, but they were in horrible shape and used to be red. :redX:

7979985510_bd799ec9bd_b.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Ok. Got a few days to start up this project.

Pulled the carpet and found this.

Driver's side (obviously)

8165937959_15d916e82e.jpg

Passenger

8165938143_129670b02f.jpg

Overall, not too bad as far as rust. Fuse box looks look. But, there is water on the passenger side. Guess we'll be tracking that down before repairing the rust.

Local JY said they had a Comanche "somewhere out there"...so, had to take a look.

Sure enough, we found an '88 that had been T-boned pretty good.

Blue interior, so grabbed a few trim pieces.

And then I saw this! Factory with mounting brackets!

8165426627_17999868fc_z.jpg

8165460484_4440c088c3_c.jpg

This one also had a factory 3-pane slider. One pane is broken, so I didn't have them pull it. I found another one elsewhere, but wonder whether I should get this one too. What do you think? Let me know if I should get it.

8165424613_e34d22c5a4_c.jpg

Also, had them hold the gas tank with sender. Posted on tech forum to find out how to check the sender function before I buy it.

8165458608_40321131ef_z.jpg

REALLY liked this '89 XJ Door Panel.

Other panel had been removed (to get the regulator) and bent -- but I like the fabric, vinyl combination.

Picking up the bumper, brackets, gas tank w/ sender and headliner next week when I'm back in town. My board is okay, but I'll keep the best one and sell the other one.

8162622131_f2f82a7be7_c.jpg

Folllowed up a CL ad for "88 Comanche parts"

Said he had a slider for $50. He sent pic and looked okay, so headed out on Saturday.

Here's the truck -- really in the middle of nowhere.

8162624625_d3f3f08583_z.jpg

And the slider....

8162624433_f4f5b3ae51_z.jpg

Took the guy about 2 hrs to get the slider out, so we walked over the yard. Found an XJ with a blue console! Perfect. Little dirty, but should clean up okay. Grabbed it out of this.

8162656994_4e4fc07105_z.jpg

Also, took the overhead console for later modification.

Grabbed some clock panels.

And Comanche emblems. Also, got the smaller PIONEER emblems. Anyone need them?

Comanche bumper and tailgate were bent, but the factory bumper brackets are there. He'll send them to you if you need them. PM me if you want his info.

This is the same place where I found the full-figured beauty... http://comancheclub....t-first-glance/

This one also had a factory 3-pane slider. One pane is broken, so I didn't have them pull it. I found another one elsewhere, but wonder whether I should get this one too. What do you think? Let me know if I should get it.

8165424613_e34d22c5a4_c.jpg

Do I need to grab this slider with one pane broken? I have another one for my truck, but don't really know the value of these yet. Advice please....Thanks.....

• 1 month later...