Well Crap

I just killed my D44.

Pulled out of the driveway after tightening the steering column and hit 2nd gear a little hard and pop!

Something in the rear end is broke. I was hoping it was a shock mount or spring, but nope.

The rear end is the culprit.

Crap! :mad:

Yeah someone on another forum says they just popped their 44 too........the coveted D44.

Well that sucks.

My feared D35 just keeps on going.

I'm considering a 8.25 only for the KJ disc though. Had one with 4.11s and I sold it before I knew about the brake swap.

Yep, the D35 in the wifey's TJ is still good after 175K.

But it only has a 2.5 pulling on it with 31's and doesn't do much wheeling.

The D44 in the MJ has over 200K on it and it has had a hard life. Not wheeling, but towing and pulling and yanking stuff.

I know the history of this truck because it has been in the family since new.

Pulled out of the driveway after tightening the steering column and hit 2nd gear a little hard and pop!

Something in the rear end is broke. I was hoping it was a shock mount or spring, but nope. The rear end is the culprit.

Crap! :mad:

Let us know what it was. I'm guessing you snapped an axle. You're still way better off with it than the crappy D35. I busted two axles on the former D35 just like that. Now with the D44 I drive the crap out of it with no worries. D35s are okay for the anemic 2.5 engines or even the 4.0s with stock tires and normal street driving, but with bigger tires and/or motors sooner or later something's gonna give.

:rotf: Bring it on. Bring your wallet. Cash only, no checks. I'll even leave the camper shell on. :yes:

Just make sure you get those alloy shafts in first! Wouldn't want egg on your face ya know?

is there enough oil in it? any work done to it lately? what broke?

Don't know.

Nope.

Don't know.

Haven't dove into it yet. Had to work 12 hrs today.

Maybe later this week, I'll check it out more.

Every fifth or so engine oil change deserves a complete vehicle fluid change. Tranny ("lifetime fluid transmissions" are a farce), TC, axles, PS pump, everything.

Without abuse, any axle, a D35 or a D80, with frequent oil changes should last a very long time, almost forever. However, there are occasional factory imperfections in shafts, ring and pinions, bearings, seals, etc. Sometimes it just happens and there's no preventive measure to prevent it. Modern manufacturing is very precise, market survival demands it. But sometimes *&^% happens.

Just because it broke, it may not be your fault.

thats the first thing i broke on my truck was my d35 spider gears. went out doing burnouts and drifting with some 31s. shell do it but not for long :eek: fixed that and i have yet to have a problem

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so here's the deal.

Put it up on the jack tonight finally.

Haven't taken it apart.

If I turn the back wheels, the driveshaft doesn't turn. then it catches kind of and then the driveshaft turns. It feels like it gets stuck but you can push it through. This would be the pop when driving it.

What do you think?

Pinion gear, ring gear, differential, axle?

What?

:wrench:

you are right to fear it. one of the few things I would pay a pro to do. and it ain't cheap. :(

but maybe you just munched the spider gears. those are pretty easy to replace. :thumbsup:

you are right to fear it. one of the few things I would pay a pro to do. and it ain't cheap. :(

That's what I figured.

Got a spare d44? :oops:

If it is broken spider gears you can do that yourself without even removal the differential housing. If the ring and pinion gears are damaged it will require the entire gear setup to be redone. My local off road shop charges $250 in labor to regear one axle.