Well Crap

So, the spider gears are toast. Broken teeth, etc.

How much of a job is this?

googling. . . :peek:

The shafts have to be slid out slightly.(Requires removing the brake assembly at least partially.) Fish out and complete remove any debris of the old gears. Slip the new gears into place and push the shafts back into the gears. Helps to have someone hold the gears in place while putting the shafts back into place. This is an abridged version of it, but the process is simple.

• 3 weeks later...

huh. I was told that only 4.10 and deeper needed that. weird. my 4.10s juuuuust barely wouldn't clear. even contemplated grinding a hair outta the gear like some others had done.

well, it's still possible for an amateur to do, just infinitely more of a pain in the rear. make sure the bearing caps go back in the exact same orientation they are now, and have your torque wrench specs and locktite handy for installation.

oh, and I got my carrier out using 2 crow bars. google should provide other methods if it's really stubborn. :thumbsup:

huh. I was told that only 4.10 and deeper needed that. weird. my 4.10s juuuuust barely wouldn't clear. even contemplated grinding a hair outta the gear like some others had done.

well, it's still possible for an amateur to do, just infinitely more of a pain in the rear. make sure the bearing caps go back in the exact same orientation they are now, and have your torque wrench specs and locktite handy for installation.

oh, and I got my carrier out using 2 crow bars. google should provide other methods if it's really stubborn. :thumbsup:

I used a ratchet strap tied through and around the carrier and then attached it to a slide hammer. I was afraid of marring the case/carrier with pry bars. Oh I also tied the strap up to the bed of the truck so that if it bounced out too hard it wouldn't hit the ground...

Already got it out and spiders installed and the carrier back in.

Used the 2 crow bar method.

Pete, is yours a D44? Maybe that's the difference why it wouldn't clear..

I don't know.

Taking lunch. Will post pics in my build thread later.

Just have to put the axles back in and button it all up.

Got the axles back in, brakes back on and the wheels back on.

Everything looks good.

Off to the parts store to pick up a gasket and some more oil. I don't think I have enough.

Then all done. Will finish it tomorrow as it is to bloody hot out there right now.

This weather is dumb.

:dunce: