Bio-diesel/battery MJ?

lexluthier72

Thought I would try experimenting with alternative fuels in one of my MJ'S. Poured a 5 lb can of 4831 gun powder in the gas tank. Let set a couple hours until it had all dissolved, an hit the starter. So far all I've been able to find is the left front tire-wheel and the tail gate. :shake:

I've thought about finding a gutless import diesel and swapping one in, yes... I don't know that I could be bothered to brew biodiesel, but if she'll run on my waste oil and the waste fuel from work, then that's fine by me.

If I could find a 2.1L diesel for an acceptable price, I'd buy one. The last diesel XJ I saw for sale locally was over $5K asking, and not budging much :rotfl2:

Thought I would try experimenting with alternative fuels in one of my MJ'S. Poured a 5 lb can of 4831 gun powder in the gas tank. Let set a couple hours until it had all dissolved, an hit the starter. So far all I've been able to find is the left front tire-wheel and the tail gate. :shake:

Did you remember to get your millions in gubmint hand-outs? So far that has been about the only proven fact about this bio-whatever & electroBS crap the greenies keep pushing...as long as they get big fat tax-sponsored checks.

Biodiesel should be fine in any diesel engine. Good thing is it lubricates the top end better without needing added sulfur. Bad thing is it gells up at higher temperatures than petroleum diesel so a tank heater is pretty much mandatory in the winter in cold climates like here in Ohio.

If made from peanut oil your exhaust may smell like peanuts, which may be a good or a bad thing.

And if you make it yourself you need to register it with the government.

my neighbour has 2 delica vans (one lifted and nice and one sweet and luxurious) that he runs on bio-diesel and has been for years. - he told me once that mcdonalds and a few restraunts were bringing their waste oil right up to his house for disposal. whenever he drove by there is always the slight waft of cooked french fries ( freedom fries?, lol). he also had his oil funace in his house setup to burn this stuff.

i wish i had paid more attention at the time, (he moved away a year or so ago), because there seems to be tons of those diesel vans around now and i have always like them. - I'm not sure about this part, but i have heard that most oil is being bought-up by companies doing something similar on a larger scale.

can't see why i can't be done as long as you use an old school, mechanicly injected diesel. But it might be hard to start when cold. I have an old 7.3 idi ford van with dual tanks, one is with regular diesel for start and stop, the other one is filled with whatever waste oil i can get. (I have an almost unlimited supply of waste mineral oil) I just filter it and pour it in the tank and add minimum 1/3 diesel just to get it flowing a little easyer. can't feel any difference in power when switching between the two tanks, but it takes some time to start it if i forget to switch over to pure diesel the last mile before i park it over night. Not to forget the nasty smelling smoke when it finally fires up... Just gotta love them ol' IDI's :D

Once I get the 2.1 MJ running again I'm gonna give it the same fuel, time will tell if it can take it...

Bio-diesel i have no personal experience with. To me it just sound like a whole lot of work. don't you have to threat it in a special way to prevent it from waxing inside the tank? WMO can be used as it is if you change fuel filter often, but off course its better to filter it prior to filling up. And it can be free, if you know the right people.

wonder if my renault 2.1 will detonate on biodisel?

Heat it to at least 90C and you will be fine. The higher viscosity means it needs to be heated to be injected and properly atomized. Failure to inject with a low viscosity fuel can lead to polymerization in the engine.

can't see why i can't be done as long as you use an old school, mechanicly injected diesel. But it might be hard to start when cold. I have an old 7.3 idi ford van with dual tanks, one is with regular diesel for start and stop, the other one is filled with whatever waste oil i can get. (I have an almost unlimited supply of waste mineral oil) I just filter it and pour it in the tank and add minimum 1/3 diesel just to get it flowing a little easyer. can't feel any difference in power when switching between the two tanks, but it takes some time to start it if i forget to switch over to pure diesel the last mile before i park it over night. Not to forget the nasty smelling smoke when it finally fires up... Just gotta love them ol' IDI's :D

Once I get the 2.1 MJ running again I'm gonna give it the same fuel, time will tell if it can take it...

Bio-diesel i have no personal experience with. To me it just sound like a whole lot of work. don't you have to threat it in a special way to prevent it from waxing inside the tank? WMO can be used as it is if you change fuel filter often, but off course its better to filter it prior to filling up. And it can be free, if you know the right people.

Cold starts need to be done on #2 diesel, then once the engine coolant has reached operating temp you can switched to running on heated fuel.

If anyone wants to know more I know A LOT about this stuff(did my senior ME thesis work with john deere developing a new calibration for running SVO/WVO)

Cool, Cool! Reason I ask, is, IF the 2.5L ever craps out. (my last one went 300,000) I'm thinking about the diesel conversion....The "bio" would be an added perk. And, If anyone wonders if I'm "green" Not really, although, with Gas approaching over $5/gallon in MN It sure would be nice to kick gas altogether....Not to be "green" But to save some money....Every penny counts.

-E.

Cool, Cool! Reason I ask, is, IF the 2.5L ever craps out. (my last one went 300,000) I'm thinking about the diesel conversion....The "bio" would be an added perk. And, If anyone wonders if I'm "green" Not really, although, with Gas approaching over $5/gallon in MN It sure would be nice to kick gas altogether....Not to be "green" But to save some money....Every penny counts.

-E.

ya a diesel conversion is a pricey and complex proposition fyi......do you have a diesel engine in mind?

Heat it to at least 90C and you will be fine. The higher viscosity means it needs to be heated to be injected and properly atomized. Failure to inject with a low viscosity fuel can lead to polymerization in the engine.

Biodiesel's viscosity is pretty much the same as petroleum diesel.

Heating the fuel before burning it is needed for running WVO, which is what Joop is talking about.

Biodiesel's viscosity is pretty much the same as petroleum diesel.

Heating the fuel before burning it is needed for running WVO, which is what Joop is talking about.

biodiesel viscosity at higher temperatures is about the same #2, however it DOES have a higher gel and cloud point, and more than that the viscosity does change differently than #2. And lower viscosity for diesel injection is a big deal.....and I mean a big deal. And generally the lower pressure the injection the more potential for poor atomization(which also throws some curveballs when talking about IDI vs DI)

At the end of the day I still recommend heating fuel other than #2 for proper atomization, the hotter it is the better the droplet formation and the better the atomization.

Not yet, and I understand it can be pricey....Just getting opinions at this point.

A diesel engine conversion is a much bigger deal than a WVO/SVO/BIO setup. The former is a months or years long process, the latter is an hours or days long process.

After collecting parts for a month I have seen a diesel conversion completed over a weekend. But this was a VW Jetta engine into a Samurai. Off the shelf kit.

I know there are kits to put a Mercedes diesel into a Toyota, which has a transmission closely related to the AW4. May not be too big a deal to adapt it to an MJ (possibly with the Yota tranny).

After collecting parts for a month I have seen a diesel conversion completed over a weekend. But this was a VW Jetta engine into a Samurai. Off the shelf kit.

I know there are kits to put a Mercedes diesel into a Toyota, which has a transmission closely related to the AW4. May not be too big a deal to adapt it to an MJ (possibly with the Yota tranny).

There was a guy in texas who was putting a mercedes engine(forget which engine right now, but one of the venerable ones like the OM616 or 617.

Ya it can be done in a weekend, but thats pretty hard to pull off.

One of my buddys is in the middle of swapping an OM617 into an XJ... Unfortunately I haven't seen him in a while and don't know how far along he has gotten in the process. I know he had an adapter custom machined to mate the engine with his AX15... I was considering the swap myself into my MJ before I sold it. It isn't enough motor for the F150 though, I'm looking into putting a 4bt into it, as it is in many ways a bolt in swap into that truck. Just don't have the funds to purchase a 4bt right now (those suckers are $$$). There was also a completed OM617 swap in a 2wd MJ at one point, but they kept the Mercedes transmission that was behind it.

LPG is still $1.65 if I buy 1,000 gallons at a time.

Pump price is about $.68/liter up here right now. Gas is $1.24 :eek:

I have a propane truck (which I'm currently not driving, but that's beside the point), and I've often wondered if it would be worthwhile to get a big tank and have it bulk filled... I'm not sure what the bulk rate is here.

I've also thought about getting another MJ and swapping it over to propane. I still have the parts to do it, although I'd have to go rescue them. I'd have to find the right candidate for that, though, one that's got major electrical issues, so I wouldn't feel like I was going backwards taking my big side-cutters to the harness.