97 TJ dana 30 swap???

HP axles are a smigin stronger then the LP30s. But every TJ that rolled off the line had a LP30. Personally, if I could keep the HP I would, but to get the truck on the road, and possibly help out a buddy off load his axle, I would run it.

is its a low pinion i wouldnt do it. take the gears out of it yes but the housing no. high pinion, grab it.

the axle shafts would be a nice upgrade though. maybe buy it and put gears and shafts in the old high pinion axle

HP and LP gears are not interchangeable.

LP's use standard-cut gears.

HP's use reverse-cut gears.

The only thing of value on the TJ D30 is maybe the shafts for the other axle the OP says he has.

-Adam

is its a low pinion i wouldnt do it. take the gears out of it yes but the housing no. high pinion, grab it.

the axle shafts would be a nice upgrade though. maybe buy it and put gears and shafts in the old high pinion axle

The only thing of value on the TJ D30 is maybe the shafts for the other axle the OP says he has.

-Adam

Thanks for the info looks like I gotta start saving

Yes you will need a new carrier as well to run 4.10 gears. The break point for the D30 is 3.73. -Adam

Not if you get the "thick" gears.

Are they even available for the D30?

I went thick on my D44 but I had to buy a new carrier for my D30

Yes you will need a new carrier as well to run 4.10 gears. The break point for the D30 is 3.73. -Adam

Not if you get the "thick" gears.

I'm not aware of any "thick" D30 Reverse-Cut gears in the 4.10 ratio (only 4.56). Maybe they are available now but last time we looked for a set nobody was making them that we are aware of.

-Adam

-Adam

:doh: brain fart! glad somebody caught it

• 3 months later...

Sorry to :hijack: hijack thread but is the dana 30 from the TJ a bolt in affair or is there fabbing involved to make it fit in the MJ? I have similar deal on a local dana 30 from a 98 TJ for $75. My dana 30 is on its way out and this deals kinda hard to pass up. Thanks in advanced.

:wrench:

It's a bolt in. If I was running 33 or smaller tires I would dump a LP30 in my truck for $100 or less.

I have a D35 in my truck with 4:56s because it was cheap and they were factory installed in the XJ it came from. I have a D44 waiting to be upgraded to 4:56 once the 5.2 eats the D35.