Seem like a good buy?!

Naterenfo1

96 LIFTED CHEROKEE

Here is the information the guy placed in the AD as he worded it.

I have a red/black 96 jeep Cherokee with a 6 1/2in lift 33/12.50/15 bfg all terrains have has sye kit with tom woods rear driveshaft and catco front,steel braided brake lines, new ball joints,power steering,tie rod ends beefey track bar,locker in rear, new tranny lines b&m tranny cooler, 3 core raditaor new belt water pump head lights fuel pump brand new windshield,bushwacker fenders,jet performance chip header with flowmaste 44 muffler truck has 200k on a inline 6 still runs like a champ changed oil every 4k with castrol and lucas Lucas in Front/rear diffs t-case tranny engine and gas 4/4low work great has some rust fully gutted ready for wheeling needs an alternator and tire will start runs Also comes with an extra tranny and 2 superswampers have no time for wheeling anymore looking to sell asap asking 1250 you can't find a cheaper trail rig and winters coming e-mail for more pics need to sell asap

here is what the CO has told me- 2 front tires are new, back ones are ready for retirement. it has a Lockright locker in the rear (unknown axle/gear ratio) an NP231 Transfer Case and supposedly the only problems are the alternator, battery, and rear tires. Oh yeah, its an OBD 2 engine, not the OBD 1.

Anything in particular I should watch for? It sounds like the rear main is prone to failure at this high of mileage, and OBD 2 is a little more tricky for parts as well in the 96 year.

So here is my plan: Drive it for the next 14 days (minnesota's vehicle purchase laws allow you to drive 14 days without having up to date tabs/insurance) and decide what to do from there. I want to keep it daily drive-able if it can handle it, and Eventually it will be a parts donor for my 86 Mj to swap out my 2.8L. I am going to rebuild the spare transmission at work, and keep it in case some crap goes down with the current one.

Does this rig seem like an alright deal for $1k? should I spend that much on a potential donor?? if anything i'd say theres at least a grand in parts in it.

any comments/flames/advice/words of wisdom/song lyrics are welcome image_209027.gif

Thanks folks!

-Nate

96' was the change year for OBD II, no surprise there. 96' is nothing special for parts, all 92' and later HO parts will work, there was an intake change and other slight changes later on.

That red/black paint scheme did not go over well at all. Those stickers and flat tire make it look like a drunken fat girl with a really bad Panama City license plate. Which make me question the other mods. Not to mention the seller's complete lack of punctuation and obvious lack of intelligence. Yes, if he/she can't write a complete sentence, spell or use punctuation correctly at least 75% of the time, then they're a moron and should be avoided. Be wary of dealing with dumb people even it it looks like a good deal because this guy is obviously a moron.

Things I would ask about prior to purchase are in bold:

"I have a red/black (is it red on black or black on red I really can't tell) 96 jeep Cherokee with a 6 1/2in lift (what lift, homemade or by who) 33/12.50/15 bfg all terrains (get an actual measurement of remaining tread, not a guess like "its got good tread about 80% remaining, if there's no measurement, then count on it being less than 40-50% and you'll need to replace them soon) have has sye kit (Hack and Tap or what kind, potentially the best item on the jeep if its a good one), with tom woods rear driveshaft and catco (?) front,steel braided brake lines, new ball joints (upper/lower or all four) ,power steering,tie rod ends beefey track bar (not "beefey" according to the picture, looks stock to me),locker in rear (what type???), new tranny lines b&m tranny cooler, 3 core raditaor (its spelled "radiator") new belt water pump head lights fuel pump brand new windshield,bushwacker fenders,jet performance chip header with flowmaste 44 muffler truck has 200k (No, how much exactly and has it been apart?) on a inline 6 still runs like a champ changed oil every 4k with castrol and lucas (means nothing) Lucas in Front/rear diffs t-case tranny engine and gas 4/4low work great has some rust (some rust usually means a lot of rust) fully gutted ("fully gutted" means the interior probably looks like a blend of mashed mule excrement and chicken droppings) ready for wheeling needs an alternator and tire will start (Probably won't start if it needs an alternator or if it does it will leave you stranded on the way home) runs Also comes with an extra tranny (what year, what kind) and 2 superswampers (what kind, how much tread, why would you pay to get rid of someone elses junk tires, it costs money to recycle tires so its easier to include them with the sale as if he's doing you the favor) have no time for wheeling anymore looking to sell asap asking 1250 you can't find a cheaper trail rig and winters coming e-mail for more pics need to sell asap ----- Big question, if he just put all this "new" stuff on it which would obviously cost more than $1250, then why is he asking far less than the mods he put on the Jeep? I would suspect that this stuff isn't really new at all. These add ons are probably very beat and worn.

Seriously, avoid dumb people, they will only make you dumber.

I buy and sell Jeeps and other cars often. I wouldn't even think about that thing being a daily driver for any amount of time. To me it looks like a few 16yo kids built it in their backyard with scrap pieces. IMHO its a great parts truck or donor if you can pick it up for 600-800.

Thanks folks. I decided that if its a teenage kid I'm gonna lowball the sh*t out of him hes asking 1250, I'm gonna offer 600. then work from there. I just decided i am not going to be paying over $1000. The reason there is no punctuation, was because it was from an iPhone. Granted, you can still punctuate on an iPhone, but maybe an older gent doesn't see the point of it?? :nuts: anyway, driving 2.5 hours tonight to take a peek. I will fill you all in! thanks for the advice!

So you went to see it last night -- what's the scoop? Was it as bad as it looks?

I'm just curious as can be to find out what a jet performance chip header is.

Borrowed a couple 33s from me to go get it. He bought it... $700 I think he said. 8.8 with a Lock-Right in the rear, Advance Adapters slip yoke, and so on... He sounds pretty happy with it. I'm sure Nate will chime in to fill the gaps.

Yes I did buy it folks! He wanted 1600 for it, I said hell no, offered him 600, he said 1000, I said 700 final offer and he bit it!

here's the scoop!

230k miles :(

8.25" lockright locker

4.10 gears

np231 SYE (advance adapters)

Tom woods driveshaft front/rear

6.5" lift kit (appears to be rough country) it was a well done lift. it has adjustable uppers and lowers, with some sort of armoring around the bushings.

Header, and flowmaster 44 (sounds pretty wicked!)

Tranny was replaced at 186k, and he gave me an extra rebuilt tranny (parts are new, I opened it and looked) AW-4 w/ new torque converter

dana 30 up front of course

33" BFGoodrich tires- fronts were new, backs were shot

Bilstein Shocks!! :) fronts are new, rears are still good, but used.

Chromoly axleshafts in the d30 and 8.25

some sort of jet booster chip- this puppy really scoots quick!

gas tank skid of some sort

TOW PACKAGE

floors have already been re welded and tarred over

The bad:

Guy beat the $#!& out of it wheeling

fender flares have chips/cracks on rears

front bumper looks stupid

broken grille (header panel is good though)

interior is sketchy at best.... dash panel is beat up, center console is shot, and several dash lights out.. headlights are dim as well.

The story on the PO

His family was the original owners of it, daddy got tired of it and gave it to his son when he was a Sr. in high school. (guy I bought it from was late twentys, early thirties) it was his rig, and he started dumping tons of parts in it to start going off roading. Got hooked and bought something else and wheeled this cherokee and his other rig (a early model burb). He left the stickers on from high school cause it was just a trail rig anyway.

My opinion:

I think I got a smoking deal on it, after I put an alternator in she fired right up and ran like a top! took it for a little spin and loved the feel of the locker in the snow! grabs so good!!! anyway, bought it from the guy and drove it all the way back (3 hours roughly) was pleased to find almost all electronics worked (including rear defrost!) except the stupid blower motor. So I froze my @$$ off all the way back to alexandria, but kept the defrost vents open. the engine appears to run around 160 degrees.. Maybe thats the chip? or the gauge is broken or something. Motor runs so well though, tranny shifts great, locker works awesome, and the 4wd is well, freaking amazing. Ride is really bumpy, but hey its a jeep.

I will be posting pictures/ walk around video pretty quick here so stay tuned :D

• 2 weeks later...

Picture of the rear- Showing extended brake lines, springs, weird 1-2" block lift, shocks that still work, but are ready for replacement, bumpstops

Flowmaster 44

96% sure it is not a hack and tap SYE-looks legit!

Rough country 6.5" lift Does the bracket on the frame look stock...? there was some weld marks on it that have me interested. Coils are full out 6.5" lift coils, some certain brand extended bumpstops (red?) disconnecting sway bar links, Bilstein shocks. Brake rotors look newer, and pads are healthy looking

Front driveshaft - looks stock but has a blue sticker on it that is un-readable and looks aftermarket. again, what is the deal with the mounts for the LCA's on the frame?? custom re-inforcement?

Leaky tranny cooler line - not a big deal, going to swap the new tranny into the MJ anyway

Going to sandblast and re paint the sway bar disco's Inner fender shot

Dana 30 up front, no fancy dif. cover

A final shot after I swapped over my custom front bumper, 10 slot grille, and fixed a couple misc things red paint with black herculiner everywhere. parked in my favorite spot the lake :thumbsup:

Anyway, The interior looks like s*it, nothing worth showing. I feel like I got a good deal, but remember everything got the crap kicked out of it. I'm going to be going through the components as I put them into my MJ, and flushing them with new fluids since they are probably a little tuckered out. My plan is to put a doubled NP-231 in eventually, this 231 will be the range selector for sure. Its nice to have an xj full of nice working parts sitting here :banana:

The guy said he hadn't made it to Gilbert before, but maybe his brother did? haha however! you will be seeing it at Gilbert this summer if I haven't already swapped the parts over to my MJ :cheers:

I am pretty excited to wheel this thing! Already have had my "Ken Block" fun on the lake, but now am waiting for a super awesome snowfall to see how stuck I can get it! jamminz.gif