not officially, no. though at least one guy claimed someone did a special order for one. my guess is that it was probably installed at the dealership, but who knows. :dunno:

It's hard to get information like this from Jeep too! I had asked them about the availability of the 242 in another Jeep and their response was it wasn't information they could give me as it was a trade secret.

207 isnt an AWD case. Its part time 4wd with a low range, for off-pavement use only when in 4wd. No differential, which the 242 has.

The 229 is a full size Jeep t-case, AWD with a 2wd mode and a low range. It uses a viscous coupling rather than an open diff, which the 242 has. The ZJ 249 uses a viscous coupling, but has no 2wd mode - it is full time AWD.

242 has 2wd mode, AWD high range for pavement, 4wd high locked mode for off road, and a low range.

If you want to swap in a 242, you need the shifter from the donor XJ that is gated for the 242's shift pattern.

There is some arguing about it, but generally, any t-case with a viscous coupler(229,249) tends to outperform one with a open center differential(228,242) in snow.

According to the 1986 FSM there was the 207 and 228 transfer cases. According to my 1986 owners manual the '86 had selectrac and command trac. I feel that this proves beyond any doubt that there was a factory service manual and a owners manual for 1986 Jeeps.

The 228 is the same case as the 229, only the 228 has a open center differential like the 242, while the 229 has the viscous coupler.

I thought the 228 was only a FSJ case, but if there was an option for Selectrac in XJs in 86, and the 242 wasn't available/didn't exist yet, then that would be the case that was used. 228/229 are driver side drop cases in Jeeps, so one would work in an XJ as long as there's room in the floorpan. Would be interested to see what kind of shifter Jeep used if they put this case in the XJ/MJ, because the FSJ 228/229 stuff was vacuum actuated for shifting between 2wd and 4wd, with a lever for high lock/N/low range, similar to what the AMC Eagle used(without the low range lever, and the t-cases were called the 118/119 full time AWD, and 128/129, which was Eagle's "Select-Drive", which had 2wd option).

If it's done like the 231, it just specifies it has input and output shafts/yokes as specified per customer (AMC).

A 231 in a GM truck is a 231C (Chevrolet), Chrysler products (except Jeep) are 231D (Dodge) or 231D-HD (For Dodge, Heavy Duty. They have a 1.25" chain as found in the 241 instead of 1") and ours are 231J (for Jeep).

I think the only difference between D and J is the rear output shaft seal. Jeeps use a 1.5" yoke on the driveshafts where Dodges use a 1 9/16".one.

Don't know what difference there is between the other ones, including AMC.