installing a NP242

The NP 242 doesn't have the vacuum fittings for the CAD, so it can't control it.

Also, because of the way the NP 242 functions while in Full Time 4wd, a CAD failure could grenade the case.

It doesn't cost anything to permanently lock your CAD. You don't have to do anything fancy like replace your axle or get do a one-piece shaft conversion, although it would be a good idea down the road. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18415

To the OP, let's keep in touch. I'm getting ready to begin that

swap myself within the next month or so. I'm also going to switch

to the external slave bell housing, will probably refresh the clutch

parts, and also add the Novak cable shifter while I have it all apart,

plus a new rear rubber mount. While I can, I'm also thinking of

seeing whether I can take out some if the shifter freeplay. It's not

a lot, but would like less. The first headache I forsee is dealing with

those lousy "nutserts" where the crossbar mounts to the frame. I know

they can be replaced but I'm going to think about whether there's

a more substantial solution, like welding in real nuts. Also a new CPS

and grommet while it's free access.

Yeah I'll let you know how it goes... I close on my first home in two weeks! So the project will begin in my new shop shortly after that. I got the 242 off CL for $70 with all the linkage and bezel, and now that I know I don't need to budget for a front axle swap I gonna try and stay under $100 for full time AWD! comanche.gif

'87 to 08/90 is 21 spline in XJ and MJ. 23 spline after that and usually only on automatics.

the reason i ask my 91 chevy burb has a 242

If it's a 700R4 or TH350 then it's 27 spline. TH400 is 32 spline usually but some came with 27 spline.

I have a 242 tcase in my truck and still have a 90 xj axle under the front. I installed a cable lock kit for the front axle for now. My axle has been leaking for a while out of both sides. I will eventually replace it with a 98 and up dana 30. I love having all wheel drive. I just set it and forget it when either winter is here or when I go offroading.

• 1 month later...
As far as I know xj from 87-01, zj 91-98, and I have heard the liberty but I'm not sure what years. Some have different spine counts though.

"91/'92 ZJs are only found with the '96 TJs. :popcorn:

Spline count changes are '87 to '90 21 spline and '91 up 23 spline (they swirled the splines in the late '90s)

I put an AW4 and NP242 in mine (and it'll be finished hopefully end of this week while I have access to a garage!)

I just swapped a (94?)ZJ 242 into a 96 XJ that was 2wd until then. The shifter bezel (obviously) but also the shift gate for the 242 is different from the 231. Where the handle has to go sideways to go to neutral is further back, and I believe the overall range from 2wd to 4-low is longer. It is located directly underneath the bezel and screws to the transmission tunnel.

"(but also the shift gate for the 242 is different from the 231. Where the handle has to go sideways to go to neutral is further back, and I believe the overall range from 2wd to 4-low is longer.)"

Very helpful observation! Do you think the 231 gate can be easily modified/trimmed to permit correct 242 shifting or do you think the 242 gate is a must have? Thanks!