installing a NP242

When we swapped a 242 into our old black MJ several years ago we couldn't get the NP231 lever to work correctly with it (242TC). We ended up going with the Novak setup as it looked like the NP242 lever was going to have to be modified as well. Maybe it was because it was originally a 2wd, I dunno... but the Novak setup worked great for us.

Mine was 2wd and currently has a lever from a 231. Work fine aside from the shift gate being wrong.

I didn't realize the shift gate was different either until I had everything installed and tried it out.

All Comanche and Cherokee transfer cases have a floor shifter. The NP242 is the one that also has a "full time" 4wd (also known as awd) option.

:doh: Hey smack me for that one... I knew it was about the transfer case.. What I ment is : Are the transmission with floor shifters a direct swap or what has to be replaced?

I have never had a column shifter in a Cherokee or Comanche, but AFAIK the transmissions are the same between a floor shifter and a column shifter. Even the cable bracket on the transmission is the same, and the cables use the same grommet in the firewall.

The floor shifter does use a second cable running to the steering column to prevent the transmission from moving out of park when the key is in the lock position (and keep the key from going to the lock position unless the transmission is in park).

When we swapped a 242 into our old black MJ several years ago we couldn't get the NP231 lever to work correctly with it (242TC). We ended up going with the Novak setup as it looked like the NP242 lever was going to have to be modified as well. Maybe it was because it was originally a 2wd, I dunno... but the Novak setup worked great for us.

Link?

The 231 shift gate will work with the 242 trf case. I have one in mine. At the front (2 Hi position) use a Dremel or what ever to grind off about 1/8" where the shifter strikes the front.. At the stop where the shifter strikes the leg (Separating Full Time from Neutral position) grind off about 1/16" from the front side of leg. This will allow the engagement of 2 Hi position and full engagement of FULL time gear position. Don't remember if I ground anything off at rear for better 4 Low engagement. Mine works fine and allows the electric switch to function which shows gear position (Part time amber or full time green on the instrument panel). You may have to trial test to make sure it works properly. Hindsight, I would search the JY for a XJ with select track and just swap the gate.

After striking out in Canton and then Akron I found a Cherokee Limited with a 242 in Cleveland. Paid less than $2 for the bezel, got the gate for free, $5 for the 4wd switch, but I think it's the wrong one (from too old of a transfer case), $15 for a good front drive shaft (without ANY RUST), and $5 for a longer speedometer cable for the Purple People Eater.

As I said, as far as I'm concerned, it's too much trouble to modify the 231 gate.