The Introduction Of Archer

Are the front coils marked by the manufacturer?  Any hopes of figuring out the specs at least would be cool......

So you're saying you got the last front air dam huh?  Dood........ ya gotta have a mold made!  :thumbsup:  Hook us bruthas up!  Or at least so you have the ability to replicate the one you have..... it would suck to have a cone eat it up..... or go off track and tear it up in the soft shoulder.......

But hey, thanks a bunch for sharing your experiences and build as you delve into your Archer build!  Hope to figure out a few things myself along the way toward replicating and racing one of these trucks.

I did get fortunate enough to find a rear tube bumper just like one of the Archer trucks had on it......... for mine...... :D

I believe I've found my project truck too....... likely bringing it home tomorrow. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great. I have been back and forth on whether to build a race truck just like the archer trucks and actually racing it or just lifting mine. You should definitely go and have some molds made for those parts just incase.

Are the front coils marked by the manufacturer?  Any hopes of figuring out the specs at least would be cool......

So you're saying you got the last front air dam huh?  Dood........ ya gotta have a mold made!  :thumbsup:  Hook us bruthas up!  Or at least so you have the ability to replicate the one you have..... it would suck to have a cone eat it up..... or go off track and tear it up in the soft shoulder.......

The coils were a custom spun mixture that the Archers had made up. Not sure where they came from but the spring rate is pretty heavy. As far as the spoiler... I never said that a mold doesn't exist. John has it up in Duluth yet. Problem is that his fiberglass guy doesn't want to do it anymore. He's offered to sell the mold to me a few times but I just don't see the profit from it for what he wants for it. It'd be nice for the occasional person who comes up and wants one, but I haven't had any good luck in the past with people who say they want something then don't pony up when the opportunity actually arises. That's not to say that I'm not interested though! Been doing some looking into fiberglass work off and on over the past year or so. I work part time at the airport in town here doing bodywork and making parts. We do some fiberglass work there... been paying attention and taking notes!

Thanks, dude. I'll be honest that this build is slow though. It's been used more as a jig to build stuff and storage than anything else... which is a bummer. I had hopes of starting some bodywork on it this winter, but I'm really just burned out on working on things lately. I think it'd be best just to let it wait until warmer weather.

Thanks for the comment on my bumpers too! I like it when I have the opportunity to build stuff. Even better when I can build stuff for others... keeps me from having a huge pile of stuff that I'd build anyhow.  :shake:

Thanks, dude. I'll be honest that this build is slow though. It's been used more as a jig to build stuff and storage than anything else... which is a bummer. I had hopes of starting some bodywork on it this winter, but I'm really just burned out on working on things lately. I think it'd be best just to let it wait until warmer weather.

Thanks for the comment on my bumpers too! I like it when I have the opportunity to build stuff. Even better when I can build stuff for others... keeps me from having a huge pile of stuff that I'd build anyhow.  :shake:

Yeah I hear you on that one. That sounds like a good plan though...body fill and such works a little better in warm weather. That can be your excuse ;)

Hey build me some :brows: .... :yes: Ive been looking at the JCR DIY'ers hopefully when I have enough cash they still have the MJ rears available

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

'Cuz racetruck.

Tried to start this one today but it decided it's not done with its winter nap just yet. I knew the alternator wasn't charging last year, but now I think the fuel pump crapped out. Got a question for everyone following this thread too that I'm hoping isn't going to disappoint what with all the hype from time to time. What are some opinions on paint on it? Obviously the '89 series red and blue Archer look would make sense, but the white is really growing on me. Thoughts?

• 1 year later...

Yup... it's still around but probably not for long. We've been planning on moving out west and it'd be one less hassle to move out there. I'll strip all the good stuff off of it before it goes though. I'm not giving up on the project... just this chassis.

• 3 weeks later...

This truck came to me a few years ago and it sat in the corner of my yard for its first winter here. Since then it moved into the garage, got a whole bunch of awesome parts thrown at it, got moved around, got stripped of its awesome parts, and then put back in the corner of the yard. Funny how some things come full circle.  :(

For future reference, the truck is currently sitting on ZJ rear coils up front and 2wd springs with a 1" drop block and XJ shackles in the rear. It sits just about at the same height as it did on the Archer suspension. That's really what this thing has been all about for me... information. For all those who looked at this for reference and history on the SCCA trucks and their builders, I think I've kicked over just about as many rocks as I could. I still talk with those guys from time to time though. Hell, John still owes me the last piece of my side skirts. Whether it's for a fun read, lots of pictures of stuff that most will probably never see, or the a last hurrah of a good combination of how to lower a Comanche with stock Jeep parts, I thank this little truck. It's been fun, but it's time to go. Again, this build is not over! I haven't given up on the project. For now I'm just giving up on the chassis with hopes that it'll move on to someone else who can benefit from a mostly rust free MJ.