Ways of Coping?

Zenobian_84

Well, a lot of things happened to me today, but the last thing I expected to have happen to me was getting "Laid Off"(fired) from my job I've had for basically the last 7 months (a year if you want to consider the 4 month stint I had a 2 years ago with my former boss and his nephew; who quit working for him 2 months ago because his uncle is a @#$%ing moron).

I was doing Landscaping work, but it was definitely a lot more than just landscaping. If it had to deal with the outdoors in any way, shape, or form, I probably had to do it. Make driveways? Did it. Build walls and install irrigation? Did that too. Hell, I even mechanic-ed on most of our vehicles and was usually the one who kept them running, and cleaned out. I was basically the only model employee in our little 5 person "company", driving 45 miles roundtrip EVERY DAY for 7 months this past year, 5 days a week. The pay? Pfft. A full time job without the full time pay. I was lucky to get a full paycheck ($300 base pay, sometimes more, most times less) most of the time.

Today, the MJ went down, which is not surprising (usually does that on a work day every other 3 weeks) and collectively I've missed only about 5 days these last 7 months. So, I worked on the truck today and had a decent, albeit rainy day. Earlier tonight, I get a couple text messages from my friend's dad (who is basically the only one I get along with at work, aside from one other guy) who is the brother-in-law of my boss; he said that "Yeah, I tried to talk him out of it and stick up for you, but he says that you're out. From the looks of things, "X" is going to be gone Friday, and I'll probably end up following suit." I wasn't even surprised at this at first, just stunned. I don't know why he's going to fire all his employees except for himself and his "goonie" that's currently on vacation and won't be back 'til next week. I guess that's just life though. The most ironic thing is that I didn't even get fired by my own boss; he had to get his own brother-in-law to do it for him.

-------------------

Long story short (sorry about it, just need to vent), what do you guys do to cope with stress? I'm usually the best person out of anyone I know at doing this, but tonight I'm at a loss for words, and don't know what I'm going to do now. Guess it's going to be a while longer before I get the money to go to mechanic school.

Usually to cope with stress I go to a happy place.

For me it could be a long drive to no-where. Crank some tunes, pick a road, and follow it until it ends or I want to call it a night. Sometimes I just like to find a quiet corner of the house, or garage, sit down with a few beers, and stare at the wall. Another favorite thing to do is call up someone from the club and hit up the yard. Picking through some old cars is relaxing to me, and if I have someone I could talk Jeeps with, it takes my mind off things at hand, or helps me talk them out.

I normally keep a pretty straight head so it doesn't happen often. I try to find the upside to things, or use my mantra, "It could always be worse."

Rob

There's really not much any body can say to you at a time like this. My favorite is" Don't let the (Insert favorite derogatory name here ) get you down" You say you're good? Then start your own land scape business. When I'm down I like to jump in the plane, or on the bike and and straighten out a couple curves. Also popping off a few rounds helps. Especially if I have a pic of whoever ticked me off for a target. Good luck. Just don't give up. :cheers:

Sorry to hear about your troubles man. I lost my job back in July of this year and it turned out to be one of the best things that could have happened to me. I got out of a job I hated and now I have a much better job making more money. Sometimes God closes doors when we don't think we're ready, but he is.

When I lost my job, I just kept telling myself, it could always be worse. Its just a job - no one died. Every day is a gift and we just have to move forward making the best of what we have.

As far as managing stress, stay busy. I found that I was a lot less stressed when I had something to do whether it was cleaning the house or tinkering with the Jeeps. Hope everything turns around for you quickly.

sorry for the trouble times it can't take one down very quickly

not sure if you have a dog :idea: but those guy's do wonders for coping with stress they are always there when you need them most and they kinda have a nak for knowing that you are in need of a pick me up :brows: maybe :hmm: thats why God has put them on the planet for us... when we are down they are there and they can't lift our sprits up :brows: in a ny minute :yes:

Sorry to hear about your troubles man. I lost my job back in July of this year and it turned out to be one of the best things that could have happened to me. I got out of a job I hated and now I have a much better job making more money. Sometimes God closes doors when we don't think we're ready, but he is.

When I lost my job, I just kept telling myself, it could always be worse. Its just a job - no one died. Every day is a gift and we just have to move forward making the best of what we have.

As far as managing stress, stay busy. I found that I was a lot less stressed when I had something to do whether it was cleaning the house or tinkering with the Jeeps. Hope everything turns around for you quickly.

he said it best.

i left Mt Dora when i was 17 that was 30 years ago.lake county is nice to visit but the work situation there sucks.Marion county is probably worse.i was making 13.50 an hour as a diesel tech with 12 years exp and a 2 year Certificate.and those where the good days before the economy went to $#!&.call Dora landscaping in Apopka see if they hiring.they paid pretty decent for a Landscape company back in the day.Hope things get better for ya Bro.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the words of wisdom. And believe me Jim, if I still had my nice old "Airsoft gun" (nobody else around here has a firearm unfortunately) I'd be making marks in the bastards already missing teeth.

I think Ryan put it best. Things will always get better, no matter how bleak everything seems at times. Hell, I made more headway on my truck yesterday than I have in the last 7 months! Now I just have to get the small details finished up for now and everything should be cool. Too bad I don't have anyone to go junking with that I don't have to show them the ins-and-outs of how to do it. :nuts: :roll: But one day at a time, right? :yes: :wrench:

You missed 5 days in 7 months :eek:

I wouldnt have a job either...

I have missed a total of 3 days since I been employed. So 9 years, I have missed 3 days of squeduled working days. One was a car accident and the other was bad tarter sauce at a fish fry, (2 days deathly sick).

I have missed a total of 3 days since I been employed. So 9 years, I have missed 3 days of squeduled working days. One was a car accident and the other was bad tarter sauce at a fish fry, (2 days deathly sick).

Considering 3 of those days were due to problems my truck was giving me, and the fact it's a 25 mile ONE WAY trip; there aren't any other people I know who would even think of giving me a ride that far out just to go to work, so I was (for all intents and purposes) screwed.

1 of those days was for my dying aunt going into have surgery to try and remove harmful tumors from her breasts which she almost died during surgery.

And the last one was visiting a close friend of mine who got into a serious accident on 1792.

So no offense to you, I just don't really appreciate the snark comments when the reasons I had for missing those days were completely understandable and justifiable. And if they weren't supposed to be taken that way, I'm sorry for interpreting them that way. Just my 2 cents man.

Considering 3 of those days were due to problems my truck was giving me, and the fact it's a 25 mile ONE WAY trip; there aren't any other people I know who would even think of giving me a ride that far out just to go to work, so I was (for all intents and purposes) screwed.

1 of those days was for my dying aunt going into have surgery to try and remove harmful tumors from her breasts which she almost died during surgery.

And the last one was visiting a close friend of mine who got into a serious accident on 1792.

So no offense to you, I just don't really appreciate the snark comments when the reasons I had for missing those days were completely understandable and justifiable. And if they weren't supposed to be taken that way, I'm sorry for interpreting them that way. Just my 2 cents man.

I've been there and most jobs will give you the boot if you miss more than 2 days in 6 months. As far as they are concerned, excuses are just that. They have jobs that need to be done and people that don't show cause things to not be done. Last job I lost was because a tire came off my car on my way to work. (tire shop screwed up) It didn't matter to the boss (I ended up being 1/2 an hour late and tardy for the 3rd time in a year) and I drove 150 miles a day to and from work.

just got fired yesterday. it's absolutely fantastic! got to sleep in, already took care of everything.

but, then again...my boss was bipolar, screamed bitched and yelled, and pushed me until I couldn't be pushed anymore. and chucked an o2 regulator for the torches at my dad....

I've never been fired before, and I've never had any reason to feel bad after quitting. sure, the lack of money sucks...especially because I've never claimed unemployment until yesterday. but, aside from that, I just feel that it's time to write a new chapter in my life.

I've been there and most jobs will give you the boot if you miss more than 2 days in 6 months. As far as they are concerned, excuses are just that. They have jobs that need to be done and people that don't show cause things to not be done. Last job I lost was because a tire came off my car on my way to work. (tire shop screwed up) It didn't matter to the boss (I ended up being 1/2 an hour late and tardy for the 3rd time in a year) and I drove 150 miles a day to and from work.

Out of curiosity JeepcoMJ, did you at least call ahead and let them know that you were having issues? I have always found that notifying my employer at least an hour ahead of when I was scheduled, that I was going to have an issue making it to work on time, or to work in general, that they take it quite well and really appreciate the call. I'm sure you probably did, but if not I would consider this to be the best advice for when you come around and grab a new job. Don't let the world shoot you down, instead, get yourself motivated on finding a new job. Think of several companies you would like to work for (they don't necessarily need to be hiring ATM) and conduct an "Information Interview" (google it) with someone from the HR department, or with some sort of manager. Make sure you have a pristine copy of your resume on hand just in case they ask for it, but employers love to see initiative and drive like that and will most likely contact you for employment.