MJ to the Rescue . . .

Drahcir495

But not this time!

On the way home from work today I see a vehicle stranded in the ditch, so I pull over to help ->

We have had a lot of rain these last few days and all the drainage ditches in the area are at capacity. I see this and think “I may be able to help get this thing out”, but I need to see if anyone is hurt. At first I did not see anyone in the mini van, but as I got closer I see this girl in the driver’s seat. I run up and she is giving me the 1 minute finger. I thought she was on the phone at first, but then at second glance I thought she must be having an asthma attack because she is puffing on an inhaler. She opens the door and asks if I can get behind the vehicle and push her out. This is when I realize she was not puffing on inhalers! It was an ignition interlock system, or car breathalyzer. She was hammered and this was not her first rodeo ~ so to say. Aren’t those things supposed to prevent the car from starting when you are intoxicated?!? What a joke. We talked - well I did, she just mumbled - until the fire department showed up. No way could I pull her out and have her drive away intoxicated to potentially hurting someone, or herself. If it had not been for the car breathalyzer, I would have considered driving her home to avoid a DUI - but she needs her license revoked. How was your evening – lol?

If it had not been for the car breathalyzer, I would have considered driving her home to avoid a DUI

F that, I don't care if its their first time, I would call the cops, why give them the second chance to kill someone?

True.

Not going to defend her at all. I have made a few stupid mistakes in my life and I will never forget when I was given a second chance. It turned my life around.

This obviously was not one of those second chance situations.

the thing that sucks about those interlocks though is when you're a mechanic and every few minutes you have to get the customer to climb in the car and do their thing.

Honestly - I have never seen one before. That would suck to have to work on a car with that installed.

I am lost in this thread because I normally end mine with the :cheers: , but it is just not appropriate here :no:

at first i was like "wtf? how did they do that?" but then it all made sense.

the thing that sucks about those interlocks though is when you're a mechanic and every few minutes you have to get the customer to climb in the car and do their thing.

Only if you are a drunk mechanic.(ANY ONE can blow into the tube...)

Those interlocks are a good thing... If implemented properly... One has to wonder how it even moved down the road to get to the ditch.

Speaking of technician problems... We learned of a new one in training... The payment interlock.

An autobody was having trouble with a car that wouldn't start, so they sent it to the dealer. After chasing it down for awhile, they found a small device with a keypad. Turns out, its a payment interlock device, that has a timer, and when the owner makes a payment every month, they get a code to reset the device, and get another month out of it. Turns out, the owner stopped paying after the wreck... Yowza.

Rob

Those interlocks are a good thing... If implemented properly... One has to wonder how it even moved down the road to get to the ditch.

Speaking of technician problems... We learned of a new one in training... The payment interlock.

An autobody was having trouble with a car that wouldn't start, so they sent it to the dealer. After chasing it down for awhile, they found a small device with a keypad. Turns out, its a payment interlock device, that has a timer, and when the owner makes a payment every month, they get a code to reset the device, and get another month out of it. Turns out, the owner stopped paying after the wreck... Yowza.

Rob

Can tell times are rough when creditors start doing that!!

I found a similar device on a Jeep I bought it was a "NPTU pass time II" Basically if you stopped paying your bills it would receive a shutdown command and your vehicle wouldn't start, looks like the newer versions even had GPS trackers to tell where the vehicle was to repo it.

Course any one of us coulda ripped the thing out like I did.

I found a similar device on a Jeep I bought it was a "NPTU pass time II" Basically if you stopped paying your bills it would receive a shutdown command and your vehicle wouldn't start, looks like the newer versions even had GPS trackers to tell where the vehicle was to repo it.

What wires does it tap into, I have some friends that owe me money :D

What wires does it tap into, I have some friends that owe me money :D

In the 97+ XJ the yellow wire in the bundle behind the knee bolster is the start lead, cut it and you will find the vehicle unable to crank.

bad thing about the breathalizer interlocks is that some of them even require random tests while driving.

I like the breathalizer interlocks...it's a good system for people with a DUI. BUT....if you're going down the freeway at 70, and it randomly requires a test, then shuts down because the idiot driving it either had a sober friend start the car for them, or they started drinking after they began driving. Real safe design.

It occurs to me that if she were smart(which clearly she isn't) she would have shut and locked the door when she saw you, and just asked for a ride down the road to call her "friend" to help her out.

Course, she clearly is not that smart.