Tylerjy's '90 Eliminator Build

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat did a great job on your cage.. Kind of a partial hybrid cage.. I like it, you were right though, very similar, our 2 rigs....we' ll have to meet up and do a run...

sounds good! I just don't wanna test my cage out like you :)

gonna match the rear fender flares one day?

one day, I have the flares but it is starting to get COLD out lol.

hey man can you try to take some daytime pics of the cage? looks sweet :thumbsup:

I will try to remember and take it mall crawling to snap some pics.

:MJ 1: Nice cage!!!!

thanks! means a lot coming from you.

Thanks! I had no idea someone from Wenatchee was on this forum. I actually hail out of Cashmere. I don't believe I've seen your MJ around but it looks like one clean, good lookin' rig from your Craigslist ad.

Rockridge is a neat place though I've never actually bought anything there I figured I'd support them since they are a local company.

Yep, Jeff at RR4wd is one of my good friends. I've known him since middle school. He owns a Comanche too, but of course it's been wheeled and thrashed and is in the process of being parted out right now for a new project. I don't think I've ever seen your rig around, I would've noticed a clean black MJ like yours with an exo for sure. Here's a better pic of mine, wave me down and say hi if ya see me around town.

Yep, Jeff at RR4wd is one of my good friends. I've known him since middle school. He owns a Comanche too, but of course it's been wheeled and thrashed and is in the process of being parted out right now for a new project. I don't think I've ever seen your rig around, I would've noticed a clean black MJ like yours with an exo for sure. Here's a better pic of mine, wave me down and say hi if ya see me around town.

Thanks for the compliment! Your MJ looks really clean, with just the right amount of lift and mean tires. I love it. Will definitely wave if I catch ya around.

Nice pics! I'd love to wheel in the northwest one day

Lots of good wheeling around here if you like tight forest-y trails. I have dreams of wheeling Colorado, Rubicon, Moab.

Today I started installing the flat flares on the rear.

On the down side, I probably won't be driving it much at all, if at all this Winter because I have my heater-core bypassed (was leaking).

On the upside, it should be getting painted sometime within the next 6 months, I'm going to RaptorLine the whole Jeep.

On the down side, I probably won't be driving it much at all, if at all this Winter because I have my heater-core bypassed (was leaking).

No desire to replace it? It can be frustrating removing the blower motor assembly, but really isn't that difficult.

Willy

No desire to replace it? It can be frustrating removing the blower motor assembly, but really isn't that difficult.

Willy

Yeah, pretty much lack of desire. I'm one of the least mechanically inclined people ever, seems like a difficult project!

Yeah, pretty much lack of desire. I'm one of the least mechanically inclined people ever, seems like a difficult project!

It really isn't too bad. The worst part is twisting and wiggling the blower motor assembly in and out. I had to take a break a couple of times just to calm down. Here are the steps from the FSM.

HEATER CORE R & I

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION (CHEROKEE & COMANCHE)

1) Disconnect battery ground. Drain cooling system.

Disconnect heater hoses at heater core inlet and outlet tubes.

Disconnect blower motor wires and vent tube. Remove console (if

equipped). Remove lower instrument panel.

2) Disconnect electrical connectors from blower motor

resistors. Disconnect vacuum hose at vacuum motor. Cut plastic

retaining strap holding blower housing to heater core housing.

3) Disconnect and remove heater control cable. Detach clip at

rear of blower housing flange and remove retaining screws. Remove

housing mounting nuts from studs on engine compartment side of dash

panel. Remove right kick panel.

4) Remove instrument panel support bolt. Gently pull on right

side of dash, then rotate housing downward and toward rear of vehicle

to disengage housing studs from dash panel. Remove blower housing.

Detach retaining screws and remove heater core by pulling it straight

out of housing.

5) To install, reverse removal procedure. Ensure seal is

cemented in place to prevent movement when blower assembly is

installed. Connect heater hoses and fill cooling system.

Willy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Pulled seats and center console from the '99 donor today, apparently a mouse got in there and there were little turds on the passenger seat, i also found about an inch of standing water and a soaked carpet on the passenger side, guess a door didn't get completely shut.

Really want to paint the truck this year. Don't know how to go about it with the cage on there, because I can't remove the bed to paint the area between the cab and front of the bed. i'd really like to bedline the cage,and paint the truck flat black but I think it will be a pain to mask. Anybody got any ideas to make it easier?

Why are you concerned about painting something that won't be seen?

Willy

I figured that if I were to do a color change, the remaining black paint would stick out like a sore thumb.

Today I pulled the valve cover, intake and exhaust manifold off, got my rockers and pushrods out and unbolted the head. Pulling off the head next time i get the chance to work on it, so far everything looks alright, not a lot of sludge or anything.

I figured that if I were to do a color change, the remaining black paint would stick out like a sore thumb.

No, you won't even notice it unless you are looking for it. Our blue MJ was originally maroon and you'd have to shine a flashlight between the cab and the bed to see.

Willy

No, you won't even notice it unless you are looking for it. Our blue MJ was originally maroon and you'd have to shine a flashlight between the cab and the bed to see.

Willy

Well that gives me some more options then :) thanks.

• 11 months later...