Leaf spring removal - is it supposed to be this difficult?

Due to lack of air tools, I'm removing both leaf springs and D35 in one piece by hand. I am finding that the 21mm bolts that hold in the leaf springs are nearly impossible to get loose, and when I do manage to get one loose, it takes a breaker bar [18" section of 1" diameter pipe] on a 1/2" ratchet just to turn the nut on the bolt!

I have used PB Blaster on one bolt and then WD40 on the next, and they are still way tough to remove even after soaking for several hours and tapping it with a hammer to 'convince' them to loosen up. I'm sore from doing just the two rear bolts! :grrrr:

Any suggestions to ease the removal of the two remaining bolts?

pb blaster is junk in my opnion. i like aerokroil, we just call it kroil. grainger sells it up here but i don't know if there are any near you. to work best you want to give it a good spay a few times a day for 2 days. but just a few hrs soaking will help. working the bolt back and forth alot helps break up the rust inside, and if your not afraid of melting the rubber bushing on the leaf you can use a little propane torch to get the nut fairly warm, then rub a candle around the threads. the heat sucks the wax in like when you flux/sodder copper tubing.

Yes, they are that tough.

If you do not have an impact wrench you will need cheater bars. If you can, borrow a compressor and buy the CH impact wrench from walmart. Trust me. It will make your life much easier!

:agree:

my cheater bar was a 5 foot chain link fence post

the impact wrench was very nice

with any luck you won't have mine... on page three is where i did my leaf swap

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29859&start=30

I don't want to sawzall the bolt [even though I'm tempted]. PB Blaster is apparently good for nothing apart from stinking up the garage and melting styrofoam. Looks like I better buy stock in Elbow Grease to finish the job.

Once I get these little jerks out, what's the recommmended torque to put them back in when it comes time to put leaf packs back on?

also, be prepared for the possibility that the bolt has rust-fused itself to the steel bushing in the rubber bushing.

Haven't had that problem yet with them rusting to the bushing... fortunately and knock on wood.

I have a replacement set to use; I don't intend to reuse the crusty ones.

Sawzall can be your best friend for this job. You've probably burnt up more in

spent time that the value of a couple blades and a couple new bolts. Mine

were frozen solid to the bushings. Whoever takes these out again some generations

from now will thank me for greasing the new bolts liberally.

I will make another attempt with the breaker bar after a few good whacks with a hammer on the remaining two that have been soaking for a few days. Should I get frustrated, the Sawzall will come out and at that point all bets are off.