Polshed Rim

Did it have any corrosion on it when you started?

I grabbed 4 rims from pick n pull, as I recall it was one of corroded ones

and that coating they put on the factory doesn't come off that easy.

I'm using this pic on my desktop.

Would you mind giving us a bit of detail in how you did that? I don't really know how to work with aluminum but would love to resurrect my tired stock wheel. I also have a set of Rubi Moabs that need saved.

Thanks!

Would you mind giving us a bit of detail in how you did that?

I got the rims last fall to replace the stock steel rims.

I didn't have a set procedure.

Basically, you've got to get those small ridges smoothed out flat, that's the hard part.

Sort of experimented to what works or not.

I think I used a wire wheel, might of tried paint remover, could of used a sander on the flatter spots, probably at some point applied aluminum polish and lots of labour.

The other day I bought a cloth polish wheel that fits on a drill, so I tried that with aluminum polish and that brought it up to a high gloss.

I was looking at my truck at some distance and that wheel looks totally awesome compared to the untouched factory rim.

:banana:

Here's the rim I polished, doesn't look coroded.

i havent done it but i use to live out in the sticks, and the rumor was to keep your polished wheels looking highly polished the log truck drivers would get a cloth polish wheel, but insead of using polishing compound they would use flour. i have a set of aluminum wheels i might just try that on now.

I did consider that option, decided against it.

I doubt spraying a clear coat would look as good as just polished and the time to repolish shouldn't take that long.

Plus repeating the polish process would probably just make the rim shine better.

I think if you repeated the process you could get it to look even better, polished aluminum can really be sharp:

C016%20NISSAN%20300ZX%20PLENUM%20POLISHED.jpg

More performance car guys with aluminum intake polish them up, I kinda always wanted to polish a 99+ XJ intake manifold.

I kinda always wanted to polish a 99+ XJ intake manifold.

Yeah, thought long and hard about that Sam, but decided to just get it blasted back to the natural "as cast" finish on mine. Haven't ever seen one polished and installed. It is a rough casting and would require a lot of material removal........

I kinda always wanted to polish a 99+ XJ intake manifold.

Yeah, thought long and hard about that Sam, but decided to just get it blasted back to the natural "as cast" finish on mine. Haven't ever seen one polished and installed. It is a rough casting and would require a lot of material removal........

That 300zx manifold I posted is just a rough to start with, have to start with a 80 grit flap wheel and work it down.

Just think, stainless header, polished manifold, polished thermostat housing, polished AC compressor, polished AC compressor bracket, painted block..........would look sweet.