gas vs diesel

freakjeep93

Strikes me as a shameful abuse of a good machine and a waste of rubber, but then I'm not paying for either one. Different strokes for different folks. They were both very impressive, but I would have to pick the diesel.

This whole thread is asinine in that it apparently stems from asking which is better for doing a burnout, a diesel or a gasoline vehicle.

If you would like to talk qualitatively and quantitatively about diesel VS gasoline vehicles we can do that, in fact there's nothing more I like than doing that.

But if you just wanna jerk-off watching a burnout video on youtube then I ain't down for that.

I have a gas manche and a diesel ram - both 91's. I can say for sure that they are good for distinctive tasks with some crossover. The 4.0 with a stick is really fuel efficient, the 5.9 with an auto is real efficient as well (with the cost of diesel higher they might come out pretty close). The manche is gentler on the back over the road :D and is much more tuned for daily driving than a 3/4 ton diesel. If you don't pull tons of weight 5 times a week you probably don't need a diesel (hence why I'm probably selling my 12 valve soon).

Now both my trucks are stock engines. If I was into modifying engines, it would be infinitely cheaper to double the power of my diesel (that could also be particular to the purely mechanical 12 valve Cummins compared to the newer electronic engines that started in 94).

Diesels usually come with beefier drivetrains simply because they make so much torque and all over the powerband. I wore out the 35 in the manche but I couldn't imagine wearing out the 35 spline Dana 70 in the Cummins. When my 35 wore out I had to upgrade to a 44 where as you wouldn't have to do that in the diesel truck.

Gas truck brakes are much cheaper to work on because gas engines don't have vacuum pumps. A vacuum pump on a diesel truck is usually $400 or so but on a gas truck you just pull a line off the intake.

Overall it seems like most car guys get the "diesel itch" (not to be confused with other itches) and will have a diesel truck for some period of time. The diesel itch is the main reason why I bought my Cummins and it gives me a smile every time but the gas manche is still a damn good, and practical car that can do the same thing that 90% of diesel truck owners actually need out of their truck (except it won't make you look official in the Tractor Supply lot idling :):):) )

CpjPIj1YF0M

If we're just doing burnout videos, I think a rig with a little more character is in order.

That being said, I've long been a fan of smaller cars/trucks, for the efficiency/ease of daily driving factor, but when I married a girl whose family had a 2500 Ram Diesel, I've taken every opportunity possible to drive that thing. I love it. Nice and high, for a commanding view, torque to spare, and it'll tow anything I'd ever put behind it. Very nice truck.

...but the gas manche is still a damn good, and practical car that can do...

:eek: There is now one less kitten on this earth because of that statement. Our Jeeps are not cars, they are trucks. :yes:

To add fuel to the fire (bad pun, I know), I like both them Dodges. I like the sound of the gasser, and the looks of it, but there's just something about hearing a turbo diesel spool up and let loose black smoke. So, in my book, the Dodges are tied. The rat rod on the other hand... :clapping:

I love my CTD.

What I can't stand about 90% of the other diesel owners is the need to make them smoke to "roll coal" all the time. That black smoke is wasted fuel. My truck is tuned and does not smoke hardly at all. It is white and has not been washed in about two months. There is no soot on my truck at all. My EGTs do not get above 1400 when towing either. Those tards are the reason why diesel owners get a bad rap and why they are starting to do emission testing on diesels.

Yup. No need to "roll coal" in my book. My truck just flat out doesn't smoke. You might see a haze come out the tailpipe but otherwise nothing. Its in tune and has boat loads of power so any fuel that goes into the combustion chamber is fully burnt. If you tow a bunch you almost have to have a diesel but if its infrequently then the gas will do it all and has a much lower base price.

I for one can't stand or figure out why most diesel owners ( around here ) feel the need to rev their truck at me when I'm driving mine. Calm the f##k down, its a pickup, go pull a trailer or haul a couch. I understand diesels can make sick power but please stop trying to show everyone who u think needs to be "informed" of how great you truck is. My diesel isnt a race car......it just hauls one.